Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more album art after 2021.4.3 :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 MY and it came with 2020.39.110 and when I played Ogg Vorbis songs off of a USB stick, the album art was displayed just fine. But then I updated to 2021.4.3 and lo, album art is no longer being displayed. So bummed! Does anyone have any ideas on how to get Ogg Vorbis files to display the album art now? The song play just fine, by the way. Thanks!

I have a 2021 MY and it came with 2020.39.110 and when I played Ogg Vorbis songs off of a USB stick, the album art was displayed just fine. But then I updated to 2021.4.3 and lo, album art is no longer being displayed. So bummed! Does anyone have any ideas on how to get Ogg Vorbis files to display the album art now? The song play just fine, by the way. Thanks!

I just noticed after installing 2021.4.3, that the countdown time for the current track now shows...I don't remember seeing that before...on an iPhone using the Music app and Overcast podcast app, and it works great. It's small text, so maybe that's why. Am I out of my mind, or is this new?

I just noticed after installing 2021.4.3, that the countdown time for the current track now shows...I don't remember seeing that before...on an iPhone using the Music app and Overcast podcast app, and it works great. It's small text, so maybe that's why. Am I out of my mind, or is this new?
countdown is new to this release. My son has a model 3. When I ask him questions like you asked I get yelled at and he says 'dont you read the release notes' :). kidding aside - its in the notes :)

When I play Vorbis music files from my exFAT thumb drive, I do see a countdown timer (also notice the missing album art).
teslaUSB.jpg

When I play Opus music files via BlueTooth on my phone, I do not see a countdown timer (but Tesla automatically inserts album art!)
teslaPhone.jpg

Also no multichannel FLAC support either (very doubtful that will ever happen but I do check after each release).
I can play FLAC no problem from USB stick. I think my FLAC is simply stereo because it came from a ripped CD (not multichannel like you have). But the album art was still missing :(

Seems strange now that I think about it because when I stream from my phone using BlueTooth, my MY actually downloads album art from the Web! It doesn't use the album art that's already embedded in my Vorbis music files on my phone. So, if Tesla can do that, then why can't it download album art for the music files stored on USB? :confused:

PS: How do you rip a multichannel audio file? From a concert DVD?

Reactions: EchoDelta
I can play FLAC no problem from USB stick. I think my FLAC is simply stereo because it came from a ripped CD (not multichannel like you have). But the album art was still missing :(

Seems strange now that I think about it because when I stream from my phone using BlueTooth, my MY actually downloads album art from the Web! It doesn't use the album art that's already embedded in my Vorbis music files on my phone. So, if Tesla can do that, then why can't it download album art for the music files stored on USB? :confused:

PS: How do you rip a multichannel audio file? From a concert DVD?

Regular FLAC plays fine for me too just the multichannel ones. As for how I rip them I actually do own Rush Moving Pictures in multichannel format (DVD I believe) and a Diana Krall SACD. I don't have a method to rip them (PS3 with a certain firmware is the preferred way but I think there are other methods) so I just "obtained" them since I already own the discs. They play fine in my friends BMW in multichannel just not in the Tesla (licensing issue???? dunno).

Reactions: na5m
This is a known problem, for all releases from 2020.44 as I recall. No solution yet, but loads of threads about it.
It is hard to believe that this bug is still there after so many updates, ah but don't worry they did find the time to add in Karaoke lyrics display.😞
Can someone tweet the master about this missing album art bug and have it fixed, I can't see any other way it is going to happen.

Reactions: pilotSteve and na5m
Just here to cross reference another thread on this ... yeah, USB album art has been lost since the Spotify refresh several months ago. See here: USB Music - cover art

I've made so much noise about this issue, it's crazy. I even brought it all the way to Tesla service and Tesla chat (chat pointed to service) some months ago. Many more recent Tesla owners have never even known it was a thing!

In the far out distant wishlist of dream items for USB media, I also wish(ed) I could add USB media to favorites, but that's regressed to not even showing USB media in my recent list anymore, either. Regressions, regressions everywhere...

Reactions: pilotSteve and na5m
Tesla is never going to fix this.
Could be a few things at play here.
1 - Their code base is such a spaghetti mess they don't actually know what has broken the USB art function and don't want to dedicate time to fix it.
2 - They have high staff turnover in the programming department that nobody knows how to fix something that was written years ago.
3 - They could not give a crap and are instead proud of adding in Karaoke lyrics as a function.
4 - Streaming can't replace USB or radio for MCU1 owners because streaming is so broken and unreliable it is unusable most of the time.
5 - See 3.

FalconFour you are right, these functionality regressions are painful, so many things no longer work properly in these cars (particularly pre 2018 models).

Also no multichannel FLAC support either (very doubtful that will ever happen but I do check after each release).
I very much doubt that this is even possible. You'd need a specific dsp decoder, running into a bunch of discrete amps, one per speaker. I'm pretty sure stereo hardware (with very limited surround channels) is all we've got in these cars. I'd love to be wrong about this though!

I very much doubt that this is even possible. You'd need a specific dsp decoder, running into a bunch of discrete amps, one per speaker. I'm pretty sure stereo hardware (with very limited surround channels) is all we've got in these cars. I'd love to be wrong about this though!

How is this handled via Netflix app then? I haven't watched anything in Netflix for a long time so can't really say for sure. If we can discretely send fart sounds to each of the speakers I don't see why this isn't possible.

I listen to SiriusXM streaming in my MY and I notice that the album art cover is mostly always one song behind. The art will usually be for the previous song. Could be SXM's fault but the streaming iOS app always has the correct one shown. :-\