Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more solid painted roof (Glasses or Sunroof)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like solid paint roof is gone in new config?

Correct ... the glass roof in now included in the base price :cool: The sunroof is still a $2,000 upgrade.

upload_2017-4-17_0-2-4.png

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
So this tells that new buyers benefit instead of paying 1500 glass roof (used to be extra charge).

Tesla seems to make both old members (60->75 only $2K) and new members (similar to old cost but bigger batter and glass roof included).

So awesome~~~

I think this is to facilitate the new production method planned for Model 3...large interior components in through the roof opening. No really savings IMO, but sometimes these guys get very caught up in conceptual ideas and carry them through regardless of merit.

Solid roof was always lighter, so base weight is now increased.

I never liked pano sunroofs, they are hot on any car. I hate the sun in general. My sunroof cover on BMWs are only open early morning, twilight, on rainy days, or in the winter. I live in SC so it gets REALLY hot.

However Tesla roof is really dark and cuts off pretty much all heat. I was really concerned about it when I purchased in 2015 but was pleasantly surprised when I got the car. I really don't mind it at all. It doesn't get hot at all.

Given this fact, I think there's probably no need to complain about the loss of the solid roof.

Wonder why some members really don't like the glass/sunroof. Does it actually get hot where you live? I guess maybe in Arizona or Nevada, where it's even hotter than SC, the sunroof may be too hot? Just want to understand.

Wonder why some members really don't like the glass/sunroof. Does it actually get hot where you live? I guess maybe in Arizona or Nevada, where it's even hotter than SC, the sunroof may be too hot? Just want to understand.
Sometimes the sun shining on the side of my face and back of my neck is annoying, whether it is too hot or not. Other times I don't care.

Reactions: DIL and Nimpo
I do not like any light coming from above me. For me it is not so much a heat issue, although I do feel minimal amounts of extra heat when driving a car with a pano roof. I find it is more comfortable to see out of the car when there is not any light coming down from on top of me. In the 4 1/2 years I have had my Model S, I have had many loaners. All the loaners had the pano roof and I always felt compelled to wear a baseball hat to block the light coming in from the pano roof. Always a relief to get my hard top Model S back.

I also have a Tesla Roadster and drive it exclusively with the hard top roof on.

Reactions: DIL and William3
Hmmm. I never had a glass roof before (pano is glass, of course). I hate having the sun directly on my head, or glaring from above into my eyes. I won't drive with the pano open. But, with the pano closed, or what I would imagine the glass roof is like, there is no glare, no "sun" above my head. I don't see what some here are complaining about. The pano roof has a 98% IR reduction Normal light is also greatly reduced, though I don't know about UV. I can look up through the closed pano directly at the sun, though I don't do that much. But I can. I don't feel a great amount of heat near the closed pano, and I shouldn't, with the IR blocking. Just sayin', I don't see this problem you all are trying to point out. I almost wonder if all of you have ridden in a glass roofed or pano equipped Tesla.

• Informative
Hmmm. I never had a glass roof before (pano is glass, of course). I hate having the sun directly on my head, or glaring from above into my eyes. I won't drive with the pano open. But, with the pano closed, or what I would imagine the glass roof is like, there is no glare, no "sun" above my head. I don't see what some here are complaining about. The pano roof has a 98% IR reduction Normal light is also greatly reduced, though I don't know about UV. I can look up through the closed pano directly at the sun, though I don't do that much. But I can. I don't feel a great amount of heat near the closed pano, and I shouldn't, with the IR blocking. Just sayin', I don't see this problem you all are trying to point out. I almost wonder if all of you have ridden in a glass roofed or pano equipped Tesla.

I'm in Vegas, and I'm a sunroof guy; I always get the sunroof option on any car I buy.

I can definitely feel on my head the difference between using and not using the sunshades w/ the sunroof on the Model S. Without the shade i will readily admit it's still better than the sunroofs in other cars I've owned, BUT when the sun is blazing at high noon, it gets warm on my head. If i drive around for 20-30 mins it's uncomfortable and distracting. The cabin temp stays fine and all that, but my head gets toasty...... I really really love the look of the all glass roof, but to be honest if I were to order another S today, I still don't know if i could bring myself to get the all glass roof. I want it, but I think I'd regret it.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL and FlatSix911