Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No offense, the current card/phone setup is utter *sugar*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had any problems with my phone as a key since Android 8.1.0 was released. Before that, it only worked about 10% of the time. I think the phone as a key could work once Tesla's firmware, phone app, and the phone's OS's are a little more mature. It's definitely two or three way problem. But, just as an example: My Jabra Bluetooth headset has NEVER failed to connect to my phone in the entire time I've owned it (almost a year now), so obviously this is not an unsolvable problem.

we're splitting hairs here (re: the S and when BLE started)

we know for sure the X has always been BLE...the first Xs were delivered in 2015, right? we're still looking at three years of experience with that...has there ever been issues to this extent (or ever) with the X fob?

I haven't had any problems with my phone as a key since Android 8.1.0 was released. Before that, it only worked about 10% of the time. I think the phone as a key could work once Tesla's firmware, phone app, and the phone's OS's are a little more mature. It's definitely two or three way problem. But, just as an example: My Jabra Bluetooth headset has NEVER failed to connect to my phone in the entire time I've owned it (almost a year now), so obviously this is not an unsolvable problem.

your bluetooth headset probably doesn't use BLE i'm guessing, so you're talking about two different things. i don't think anyone is saying the phone itself won't connect to the car for phone/media, this is a problem with the BLE phone key.

we're splitting hairs here (re: the S and when BLE started)

we know for sure the X has always been BLE...the first Xs were delivered in 2015, right? we're still looking at three years of experience with that...has there ever been issues to this extent (or ever) with the X fob?
The only thing I could find was fob batteries dying every few months. But I can’t say for sure if that was a fluke or due to the car keeping a constant connection to the fob around the house.

your bluetooth headset probably doesn't use BLE i'm guessing, so you're talking about two different things. i don't think anyone is saying the phone itself won't connect to the car for phone/media, this is a problem with the BLE phone key.
I'm just pointing out that these are problems that will eventually be overcome. At this point a see little need for a FOB in my situation. I would take one anyway in case I lost my phone or someone needed to use my car.

No issues here (owner for 10 days) (Galaxy S9+)
For those who have issues... get the FOB and call it a day.
I love not carrying any keys at all anymore! Just a phone case with a credit card slot and the tesla card in it for backup in the event my phone loses power.

No issues here (owner for 10 days) (Galaxy S9+)
For those who have issues... get the FOB and call it a day.
I love not carrying any keys at all anymore! Just a phone case with a credit card slot and the tesla card in it for backup in the event my phone loses power.

if it were that easy, this wouldn't be an issue. the fob isn't yet available, and tesla support / sales claims not to know anything about it.

The only thing I could find was fob batteries dying every few months. But I can’t say for sure if that was a fluke or due to the car keeping a constant connection to the fob around the house.

but no problems as far as the car failing to unlock/lock like we're seeing constantly with the phone key...

you can't have it both ways. you can't say "the S and X fobs are buggy and inconsistent" without evidence...and just having the batteries die every few months isn't evidence of bugginess or inconsistency with the problem at hand.

It doesn't appear that I'm having trouble with BLE connection- I can see my notification drawer either say "Connected" or "Disconnected" from the Tesla app notification. And it seems to be consistently working. In other words, if i get 30-40ft away from the car, it shows disconnected. When I get close, it says connected. But I don't see the mirrors folding/unfolding which tells me the doors are not locking/unlocking, right? Is there perhaps a setting for that?

It doesn't appear that I'm having trouble with BLE connection- I can see my notification drawer either say "Connected" or "Disconnected" from the Tesla app notification. And it seems to be consistently working. In other words, if i get 30-40ft away from the car, it shows disconnected. When I get close, it says connected. But I don't see the mirrors folding/unfolding which tells me the doors are not locking/unlocking, right? Is there perhaps a setting for that?
Tesla changed how it works, so it only unlocks and the mirrors unfold when you press on the door handle. The mirrors should fold automatically when you walk away (and the horn honk if you have that setting turned on).

but no problems as far as the car failing to unlock/lock like we're seeing constantly with the phone key...

you can't have it both ways. you can't say "the S and X fobs are buggy and inconsistent" without evidence...and just having the batteries die every few months isn't evidence of bugginess or inconsistency with the problem at hand.
Well from Tesla’s own documentation the S fob, as of August 10 is a regular fob. There have been some complaints about it not presenting handles when walking up. But nothing on the Model 3 scale I guess. The X fob is like the 3 fob and the only complaints I remembered seeing when it came out was crap battery life and doors that eagerly auto opened. Searching yielded folks complaining about key not found but that was all older posts.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
This got me thinking, if it does any location validation in order to unlock (I thought Tesla said this was bluetooth-based) then it might explain the failures.
Well, the App certainly knows the GPS location of the car and presumably the App knows where you are, so if they used that location data for anything, I’d want the App to have the necessary permissions to function correctly. We all trust Elon, right?

But you have a good point... for unlocking the car, the app should work via Bluetooth independent of GPS location.

Boy did we beat this topic to death today.

If I may make a somewhat off-topic remark, I found this thread to be eerily representative of a complete cross-section of today’s society, or at least of its more educated social strata.

Some hold certain things to be self evident ( e.g. it fails to work reliably), some will put a lot of effort into justifying that, under perfectly controlled conditions it absolutely does work, while others try to offer technical solutions from a (consciously acknowledged or not) position of “yes, it kinda does not work all the time but if we did these things we could tolerate it”.

All this reminded me of certain “social science” (poor translation) classes in high school where we were taught how glorious and advanced communism was. We’d all look out the window and think “yeah, it’s *sugar*!”

Don't think the phone key is quite that bad. The Soviets surely did skew things to make themselves look better than they were. There were a lot of true believers there, and here. But whether you like the phone key, or like the idea of the phone key, the fob will be an operational improvement for enough owners to make Tesla produce it.
Now, when?
Robin

Don't think the phone key is quite that bad. The Soviets surely did skew things to make themselves look better than they were. There were a lot of true believers there, and here. But whether you like the phone key, or like the idea of the phone key, the fob will be an operational improvement for enough owners to make Tesla produce it.
Now, when?
Robin

I totally love the idea of a phone key, I bet everyone does. It’s just that it’s not what’s advertised, i.e. “walk up to your car with your phone on you ...”.

Yesterday, after I got myself locked out of the car I thought: if this were some years ago and I locked myself out, with the toddlers locked in, within 6 hours of taking possession of a 60k car we did not need, there would be some difficult explaining ahead for me. And if I started pointing out that ios’s resource management is very strict and it requires that some processes be suspended and therefore the phone key is naturally unavailable but it can be restarted with this simple 10-touch/swipe procedure, I’d probably have slept outside.

Regardless, I very much enjoyed everyone’s participation in this bantering ... good fun.

Now back to work to make up for all this time spent on TMC these last few days! :)

• Funny
Reactions: N5329K
Interesting that you find them so useless, and so painful to read, yet you went into what was clearly another one...

Clearly they are useful to those that are having consistent problems with the phone as key. I just happen to not be one of the ones that has problems. I’m not trying to belittle the issue, I just don’t understand why a new thread needs to be created about this every few days when we already have several threads that have tons of posts from a whole bunch of members here. I keep my phone in a belt holster or in my front pocket at all times, so maybe that’s why I really haven’t had an issue.

wet summer for you guys in the northeast, yes? i hope the first time it fails for you (and it will), you're standing there in the pouring rain with a bag full of groceries holding the door handle in trying to figure out what has gone wrong. please do let us know when that happens...we all will be eager to hear your thoughts on the phone key at that point.

Um, ok? Thanks for the well wishes?

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

Even if the phone key worked 100% of the time under any & all conditions, I'd still have to carry it with me all of the time, even with running into a convenience store for 3 minutes. And that to me is unacceptable. I do not have my phone in my hand 24 hours a day, so if it requires me to carry the phone everywhere at all times to get the car to lock, that is not convenient to me, and it is not an improvement on old technology.

Phone-as-a-key SUCKS.

My 2011 Challenger R/T's key fob was far better.