TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No Power Folding Mirrors for the Model S in the future.

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by 1young1, Oct 16, 2012.

1. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

+1 on all accounts

In Europe, not having power folding mirrors WILL be a definite deal-breaker for many who are considering the Model S, as it is a lot wider than most other cars in the same category, hell it's wider than most cars on the market here. Remember not every country has space to waste like many US states. Roads are narrower here, so are garages, parking spaces, especially in public parking garages, where power folding mirrors are almost a must-have for cars that wide.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 also

Remember the Model S is supposed to be a "premium" sedan. What's so premium if you don't offer many of the aforementioned amenities that are available (standard ot optional) on most cars even of far "lower" price-categories?

- - - Updated - - -

That is something that bugs me as well about many electronic inventions to be added into cars now or in the near future.
    As soon as you lose power (or because of some other glitch) you lose the function of the device, be it a camera (mirror), electric doors/handles, electric parking brake or whatever.

Some things are better left mechanical as they are. Especially everything that has to do with doors, brakes and mirrors.

2. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Agree completely.

The concept of camera mirrors is in my opinion idiotic and a safety hazard. Consider all the glitches (freezes, pixelation, etc.) with the computer screens so far. What would happen if your "mirrors" suddenly became pixelated or blacked out? No visibility.

This is one of those situations in which my response to the 2-5% loss in aerodynamics is: "So what?" Safety overrides that in my opinion.

Automatic folding mirrors? The MS should have those. Camera mirrors? Tesla should avoid these.

3. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Now that I've seen the mirror fold in Ben's helpful video I'm starting to think they gave up on this because it doesn't help much with the way the mirrors fold anyway. At most you'd save a few inches. I'm still not happy, but it seems I wouldn't gain as much as I'd like anyway.

4. richkae

richkae VIN587

If the purpose of cameras is for aerodynamics, then have both. Above 40mph the physical mirrors fold in. If the camera or screen have failed in some way, don't fold in. Above 40mph, none of the reasons stated for preferring physical mirrors apply.

5. AustinPowers

Yeah right. You're going 100 mph on the highway, want to change lanes to overtake and your camera mirror blacks out. Great for safety ;-)

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You could always merge back into your original lane. Such a system might be able to auto-extend the physical mirrors if the cameras stopped working. I think it's a good compromise.

7. J in MN

J in MN S60 P12635

If the parking spaces are so narrow that you must fold the mirrors, how do you get in and out of the car?

8. earthling

earthling Iam Notdesi

#48 earthling, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    If you're going 100 mph, then what's behind you is not so important.:rolleyes: (Unless it's the police. And that's the only traffic citation I've gotten in over 30 years. But hey, I was driving my AMG and it was in the desert for crying out loud!)

9. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Dukes of Hazzard style, of course. :rolleyes:

10. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

This is no joke. In Germany (and most of Europe) every medium sized town or bigger has narrow roads, very tight parking etc., which is why small cars (like Smarts) are so popular there. With a wide car like an S, every inch is going to be critical. I have a lot of sympathy for Austin Powers -- I would NOT want to drive the S through the middle of Frankfurt!

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#51 NigelM, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    I'll agree with Arnold that Germany (and Europe generally) has narrower roads than I'm used to in the U.S. OTOH, the last 3 years I lived in Germany I had a Mercedes S which is only ~3 inches narrower and had no problems at all. Multi-level parking wasn't fun but streets were ok.

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

A ford s?

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Ha, I should have written Mercedes S! Thanks Marcus. Shows how obsessed we can get; corrected my post.

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Heh, not being a follower of the brand, I honestly couldn't think of another S. thought you liked it retro ;)

15. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

You're talking about cars where the brakes are controlled by software and worrying about a simple link from a camera to a screen?

16. AustinPowers

#56 AustinPowers, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

That's a good one :)

No but in all honesty, it often works like so:

You let your passengers get out first, fold in your mirrors (not just to get into the parking space easier but to avoid damaging them or them getting damaged by other people parking their vehicles next to you) then drive into the parking space so your passenger side is as close to the wall (or concrete post or whatever, see my second picture) as possible, then get (or squeeze) out.

Here is an example of a typical "getting out" situation in parking garages over here:

eng2.jpg

That's where the advantages of sliding doors (or the Model X falcon wings) can really make a difference.

And to give you another idea:

eng.jpg

Note that these aren't vehicles the size of a Model S but rather typical European cars used in cities and for running family errands (as well as everything else). And in case anyone thought so, no, these are no "joke" pictures but gruesome reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? Come over here and drive on the Autobahn at 100 mph (which is only 160 kmph). You will see that what is coming from behind definitely IS important.
    Cars coming at you from behind in the left lane mostly do far more than 125 mph, the limit of many cars being 156 mph (250 kmph). Hence the importance of functioning mirrors.
    And yes, many Autobahns still only have two lanes, of which the right is blocked most of the time by rows of slow freight-trucks/lorries, and even if there happen to be three lanes, then the lorries are on the right, they overtake using the middle lane (and they do that often, and often very abruptly), so you have to constantly be on the lookout and able to change to the left lane at short notice -
    - - - Updated - - -

+1
    Even though driving through the middle of Frankfurt on the main roads won't be a problem. But as soon as you turn into many secondary roads it will definitely become uncomfortable - and I don't mean the ride quality.

17. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

That's absolutely true. I agree with you.

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The mirrors (side and rearview) do auto-dim. I agree that they need to add these other features over time and I hope they are able to retrofit some of them.

19. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S->X->M3-->R2020?

Great analysis. I was looking for a specific rear-view camera thread, but couldn't find one so excuse me if I post this here and am okay if it gets moved.
    I just wanted to add one thing: The rear view camera does not have those 'runway' overlay guides that ALL my past rear back-up cameras have had both OEM and aftermarket.
    Again, seems like a rather simple fix that the supplier should have. My 2 cents! :cursing:

20. PRJIM

PRJIM Member

Power Folding mirrors on the Model S would only be of marginal benefit as the side view mirrors are mounted on huge bulky brackets.