Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"No Reseller" clause for Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm missing something. What's wrong with selling something I just bought for a profit? I think day traders in stocks do that every day. There are many similar examples.
Stocks are investments that carry considerable risk and thus high reward, but they aren't a commodity like a car.
And why does Tesla even care if i sell my own property? Even if that was my intent on day 1, just like every other Tesla model ever sold?

If someone had the cash and foresight to get a reservation in following the rules de jour, good for them. If they can easily sell it for cost plus x%, maybe Tesla's price is too low. But more power to them. They are taking a calculated risk - maybe they profit, maybe not.

This feels very un-American. Basic supply and demand.

Is this legal?
Yes it's legal and inherently American. A basic principle in America is you can choose to do business how you want, including refusing to do business with certain people and including setting up whatever restrictive terms you want, as long as it doesn't discriminate against a protected class nor violate any anti-trust provision.

And before you scream "what about capitalism"? Don't forget that the guiding principle of why it works is that it adds value to the products. For example when a manufacturer is able to charge a higher price, the profits goes toward improving the product, servicing/maintaining it, and/or releasing better products. Even middlemen and rent-seeking players have some contribution (dealers, as hated as they are, provide a sales, support, and maintenance network; landlords help maintain a property).

However, scalpers contribute practically nothing, other than raising prices sky high so people that would put it to actual use pay inflated prices for no reason. In similar sense, monopolies are a problem because they lead to high prices, but don't provide anything extra for it.

As such, fighting against scalpers doesn't violate the basic principals of capitalism.

Difference in this case is that many people paid and agreed to a Pre-Order agreement, and nowhere in the original agreement is the new 'For Cybertruck only' clause. I did enter, and still am, into this purchase agreement with good faith and intent on using the truck. However, due to Tesla's own delays and pent up demand, if someone is seriously offering to buy my truck for an exorbitant amount, I should be allowed to sell it.

If they really don’t want resellers, they should sell it as a 1-2 year lease only with no buyout before they can refinance it for purchase.

Then buyers then for sure legally can’t do anything with it because it’s not their vehicle to sell.
No early buyout and no assumption of the lease in the lease agreement. Yes, that solves the early scalper issue a lot more cleanly, and you wouldn't even need to limit the term. A "normal" 36 month term would be fine.

Reactions: fhteagle
I totally understand people’s frustrations, but I stayed up at night, tuned in and hit refresh 1000 times on the order page. I am a real customer that has been waiting 4 years and going without a car I made plans for 2 years ago. I ordered in the first 10 second of page going live and I am still only about number 3000 in line. So if there are flippers in front of me that are pissed off, so be it!

I totally understand people’s frustrations, but I stayed up at night, tuned in and hit refresh 1000 times on the order page. I am a real customer that has been waiting 4 years and going without a car I made plans for 2 years ago. I ordered in the first 10 second of page going live and I am still only about number 3000 in line. So if there are flippers in front of me that are pissed off, so be it!

Yeah. As far as I'm concerned, this should be the rule more then the exception. It's simple. If you want the truck, buy it.

If you only want the truck to profit from reselling it to someone whose place you took in line, don't buy it.

If you *think* you might not be able to afford the truck and will have to sell within the first year, you shouldn't be buying it.

If you die within your first year of ownership, congratulations on completing level 1. Your heirs can happily inherit your CT and if they must wait another 9 months before selling it... poor them.

• Funny
Reactions: 455dan and rlsd
I get OP's complaint for sure, but $.25/mile is not a bad deal. I like that they are trying to get rid of scalpers, else we see nothing but $100k+ cybertrucks for the first two years.

i wish more companies would do something to stop all this. It was actually impossible to buy a playstation 5, for example, for more than two years after release except through a scalper or luck because it would get sold out almost immediately anywhere.

I also agree that scalpers can add value because they put the product in the most motivated buyers' hands, but on the other hand the supplier makes no profit from them, the same number of products reach customers' hands, and we've had middlemen make profit and often adding no value at all.

scalpers can add value because they put the product in the most motivated buyers' hands

I don't agree that that's adding value. You'd have to also subtract the fact that they had an impact on demand. The scalpers themselves can actually *cause* the scarcity that enables them to resell for a profit.

This is more like hostage takers adding value by giving the hostages back to the most motivated ransom payers, LOL.

I think you hit the nail on the head with:
the supplier makes no profit from them, the same number of products reach customers' hands

If we want a more capitalist system of resolving supply/demand issues, Tesla could have sold the first 10k Cybertruck for a much higher price. Then the next 200k, then the next 500k, until the demand flattens out.

I get OP's complaint for sure, but $.25/mile is not a bad deal. I like that they are trying to get rid of scalpers, else we see nothing but $100k+ cybertrucks for the first two years.

i wish more companies would do something to stop all this. It was actually impossible to buy a playstation 5, for example, for more than two years after release except through a scalper or luck because it would get sold out almost immediately anywhere.

I also agree that scalpers can add value because they put the product in the most motivated buyers' hands, but on the other hand the supplier makes no profit from them, the same number of products reach customers' hands, and we've had middlemen make profit and often adding no value at all.
The stealerships and resellers like Carmax and others were being more like scalpers the last few years as they piled on costs for new and used cars. Tesla is doing it right.

Nope. Made sure to download it too in case Tesla tries to pull a fast one.
Does your pre-order agreement state you will be purchasing for personal use?

Does your pre-order agreement include this clause?

No Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith. We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your pre-order or if we determine that you are acting in bad faith.

Last edited:
Does your pre-order agreement state you will be purchasing for personal use?

Does your pre-order agreement include this clause?

No Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith. We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your pre-order or if we determine that you are acting in bad faith.

Difference in this case is that many people paid and agreed to a Pre-Order agreement, and nowhere in the original agreement is the new 'For Cybertruck only' clause. I did enter, and still am, into this purchase agreement with good faith and intent on using the truck. However, due to Tesla's own delays and pent up demand, if someone is seriously offering to buy my truck for an exorbitant amount, I should be allowed to sell it.
I'm going to take delivery, pay registration/tax/etc, and drive the truck. If I agree to a sale price to a 3rd party, which would need to be significantly above my total cost, I should be able to sell it.

Last edited:
Reactions: fhteagle

I'm going to take delivery, pay registration/tax/etc, and drive the truck. If I agree to a sale price to a 3rd party, which would need to be significantly above my total cost, I should be able to sell it.
The rumor is, as of now, that you won't be able to. The good/bad with Tesla is that you would have to transfer the car to someone and they'd see it. I guess a way around it is to give them your credentials, but I'm sure that could get messy with warranty work.

The rumor is, as of now, that you won't be able to. The good/bad with Tesla is that you would have to transfer the car to someone and they'd see it. I guess a way around it is to give them your credentials, but I'm sure that could get messy with warranty work.
What's more likely is that there wont be a person that'll pay me significantly above my total cost. I wouldn't sell for only $10k-20k more; it would have to be more like $50k+.

UPDATE:

This link no longer has the paragraph that started all the furor.

Interesting. URL suggests it's for a Model 3. Change "model=m3" to "model=cybertruck" in the URL and you get this...

Still missing the 1-year/$50k clause though.