Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No snow chains for 22"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as far as I know there have never been officially approved Tesla chains for the 22 inch wheels. The Scorpion Zero tires that come on the 22inch wheels aren't ideal for winter driving anyway. the best (and most expensive) option would be to get a dedicated winter wheel and tire set in a smaller size. Smaller wheels with higher profile tires are better for winter traction and dedicated winter tires are going to out perform chains. The Tesla 20inch winter wheel and tire package for Model X is a decent value.

Reactions: jajabor
Bumping this back and seeing if anyone has had luck finding snow chains for the 22”.

I was poking around Peerless as I’ve used them for my Subaru and I’m unsure if any might work.

I’m REALLY sold on the 22s and now being able to go to our cabin in winter ruins the whole thing. For those that buy 20s, I presume we need an alignment after swapping them out?

slight edit — Looks like Peerless suggests Z-579 for the 265/35-22 and 285/35-22 tires. Anyone used these?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. We go to Tahoe just for couple of days a year. Wasn't sure if it was worth buying a whole new set of 20 inches. That being said, it looks like that is the only option.

If you only go up to Tahoe a couple times a year you should be fine. Last winter was crazy with snow but we made out just fine with the standard all seasons on the 20in wheels. They do such a good job clearing the roads you’re crazy to try and go out before they do so. Really, your cheapest option is to change your weekend if there’s heavy snow.

I ski Tahoe and have never been asked to put on chains, but always carry them. I have Tiresocks by Autosocks for my 20" but have never tried them. This is something you can consider if they make a suitable 22" version for you. Maybe others report in this form how they work, but I understand they are Caltrans approved.