Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No wifi while driving in v8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking that ones own hotspot wouldn't have a publicly known password. So spoofing wouldn't be simple. The problem is the service center ones (and probably any that don't have passwords, like attwifi)

I don't think this has anything to do with security. This looks like a ploy by Tesla to force owners to use its LTE service rather than tether their phones and use their own. Just wait, the next step will be Tesla charging for network connectivity, since they already prevented everyone from using their own network provider. I wouldn't put it past Tesla to be thinking along these terms as it aligns itself with profitability. Just wait, the nickel-and-diming has only just begun!

just youtube mitm wifi, you'll see just how easy a hacker can attack you via wifi, passwords do not protect you.

This is a step backwards I feel. It has nothing to do with security. This has everything to do with tesla being able to charge more money for fitting in a SIM card once your tesla provided internet expires, which conveniently is right after your warranty ends.

That was my first thought as well. I plan to hotspot off my phone once my 4 years of free service expires. I'll be really pissed if I can't do that in 4 years. I also hotspot off my phone now a lot because my 3G is out in far more places than Verizon. So is this yet another reason for me to stay on 7.1???

You can always have the SIM card swapped with another one you own, so I don't think that's it.

But it sucks when it comes to speed and coverage. I used my hotspot to get 4G speeds and better coverage in various places. No longer possible. But Tesla is happy to upgrade the cars 3G to 4G for USD 700.

So I'll be able to put a Verizon lte SIM card in my tesla cause if I have to buy a dedicated att plan just for the car, that will cost a fortune compared to using my Verizon share plan.

Yes, this "feature" I think was mainly implemented because many people have WiFi on in their garages, but when you started to drive away the car would still try to maintain the steadily weakening WiFi connection, so your maps, Voice commands, Searches, etc would lag or fail to work entirely until the WiFi radio finally figures out it can no longer connect to the home WiFi and the connection reverts to cellular.

So realizing some people Tether (use WiFi from a cell phone or mobile AP), they added a flag to the system called "isTether". If this is set for a particular connection (SSID), then it will stay connected even if in drive.

Before they implemented this feature, I found that right when I was inputting my Nav address as I was pulling away, the search would just sit there and not pull up anything, so it was done for a good reason.

Unfortunately they have not implemented a way to enable this flag from the GUI. If you have root access, you can enable it manually for a given SSID, but obviously that doesn't help most of you.

I found this very useful on a recent country trip where I was often in an area with poor cell reception on the car's connection, but my LTE hotspot with an external hi-gain antenna was still working, so I enabled the isTether flag and let the car connect to the hotspot so I could still stream audio and have map tiles, etc.

Hopefully Tesla will add this soon.

Yes, this "feature" I think was mainly implemented because many people have WiFi on in their garages, but when you started to drive away the car would still try to maintain the steadily weakening WiFi connection, so your maps, Voice commands, Searches, etc would lag or fail to work entirely until the WiFi radio finally figures out it can no longer connect to the home WiFi and the connection reverts to cellular.

So realizing some people Tether (use WiFi from a cell phone or mobile AP), they added a flag to the system called "isTether". If this is set for a particular connection (SSID), then it will stay connected even if in drive.

Before they implemented this feature, I found that right when I was inputting my Nav address as I was pulling away, the search would just sit there and not pull up anything, so it was done for a good reason.

Unfortunately they have not implemented a way to enable this flag from the GUI. If you have root access, you can enable it manually for a given SSID, but obviously that doesn't help most of you.

I found this very useful on a recent country trip where I was often in an area with poor cell reception on the car's connection, but my LTE hotspot with an external hi-gain antenna was still working, so I enabled the isTether flag and let the car connect to the hotspot so I could still stream audio and have map tiles, etc.

Any idea if the "is tether" flag would also limit data use? For example, map updates are huge, and Tesla restricts then to download over wifi only for that reason. But if you tether, your cellular connection shows to the car as wifi. Most people in North America don't have a data plan that is friendly to several gigs i of unexpected data. If they were smart, it would treat a tethered connection like cellular instead of like wifi.

That was my first thought as well. I plan to hotspot off my phone once my 4 years of free service expires. I'll be really pissed if I can't do that in 4 years. I also hotspot off my phone now a lot because my 3G is out in far more places than Verizon. So is this yet another reason for me to stay on 7.1???

Can't stay on 7.1 forever. I planned on keeping my car for 8 years. But if I feel being unfairly extorted in this manner (and there are other parallels in the Tesla world already such as overpriced repairs and service), I will most likely sell the car. Also autopilot is great but despite that, I'm advising my friends to hold back on their Tesla purchase until Tesla gets the repair costs and service issues under control. As a bonus it would be nice to see a more capable supercharger network, but I'm willing to give Tesla a break there since other car brands do not have the equivalent of any super chargers, and building a charging network to replace gas stations is a herculean task anyway. But not servicing cars in a timely manner, and absurd repair costs are inexcusable.

I would REALLY not like to go back to an ICE, but I may go back to a hybrid.

I can't wait for other manufacturers to create EVs and give Tesla some honest competition, so Tesla cannot abuse their existing customer base so freely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Troy and green1
Remember to e-mail Tesla about this. They encouraged me, to encourage as many people to do this as possible.
After many many emails on many many different "features", I am quite confident that emails about software features fall 100% on deaf ears. "we'll pass it on" and a year later nobody has followed up, and the simple bugs remain unresolved.
This is one of Tesla's greatest faults, there is ZERO connection between their software development and their user-base.

Really? So when do I have to move off of 7.1? So far I haven't had any issues staying with it?
whenever they decide. On 7.0 and all prior versions that was effectively a couple of months ago when they broke voice control and mapping for those versions.

Nobody knows what Tesla will disable on 7.1 in the near future, but it's a safe bet that something will be disabled. My best guess is supercharger access, and I'm guessing it will be less than a year from now.

With the New 8.0 update the Navi map is sluggish to load in and updating itself and some of the map stays blank even when satl, if I park and then use my wifi hospot is refreshes instantly.
Enoying!!:
Is there any way under navigastion to remove the popup navigation with turn-by-turn directions that appears on the upper top left of the map, it takes up alot of screen realestat.
It`s allready shown in my second display on in my dash view served by the Navigon component. This is a small section of a map that shows my route with turn by turn guidance.

Hey Ingineer;

Would you be able to tell us how to gain root access and activate "is tether" in the car? Please? I consider myself competent so I have confidence I could do it with your online help. There are 20+ Model S owners I know in the country that lost their ability to use 3G dongles or phone hotspots overnight. Their only alternative for now seems to take it to the closest service centre which is in Vienna, 2000km away, in another country (customs nightmare) and switch the sim card, which also would be costly.

You would be making a huuuge favor. Thanks.

whenever they decide. On 7.0 and all prior versions that was effectively a couple of months ago when they broke voice control and mapping for those versions.

Nobody knows what Tesla will disable on 7.1 in the near future, but it's a safe bet that something will be disabled. My best guess is supercharger access, and I'm guessing it will be less than a year from now.
The Service Center installed 8.0 on my car last week when I had specifically requested that they not install it. The Service Advisor was supportive of my request when I explained the 8.0 changes/bugs that I don't like. But some idiot salesperson happened to be walking past my car & saw that a software update was available & installed it... I pressured the Service Advisor to find a way to bring my car back to 7.1. He contacted Tesla HQ and they "strongly encouraged" me to stick with 8.0. He said that eventually functionality may be lost to cars with 7.1 so they would prefer I stay on 8.0. I pressured back that I don't want it because of all the issues and that I want them to put my car back to 7.1. He is working with Tesla HQ to try to make that happen. The latest update is that they can push 7.1 back to my car OTA if it is approved at Tesla HQ. Hopefully it will be approved soon. He was supposed to have an answer Friday and it's now Tuesday with no update from California...

Hopefully they wouldn't do something like disable Supercharger access for cars still running 7.1!

I guess that adds one to the theory that you need multiple post-it notes in your car saying to not install 8.0. (I would hope the salesperson would have read and paid attention to the notes.)
You are absolutely right! I had thought about doing this before I brought the car in, but I forgot. The Service Advisor said he thought about doing it himself, but he was confident that all the technicians knew not to install the update because it was the first line of the Repair Order ticket that they would look up for my car. *sigh*

Reactions: MP3Mike
Hopefully they wouldn't do something like disable Supercharger access for cars still running 7.1!

They'd have to disable it on the car. There isn't any sort of of authorization that occurs when plugged into the supercharger. The supercharger doesn't decide who get's it or not. That's why when you upgrade an old S to allow supercharging, it's a change to a setting on the car itself.

They'd have to disable it on the car. There isn't any sort of of authorization that occurs when plugged into the supercharger. The supercharger doesn't decide who get's it or not. That's why when you upgrade an old S to allow supercharging, it's a change to a setting on the car itself.
I think you misunderstood me.

What they would likely do is similar to what happened to voice recognition and mapping for 7.0 and 6.2 users. They'd change the back end protocol such that the older firmwares are no longer compatible.

so it's not that they "disabled" it, it's just that it no longer actually works.