Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No wifi while driving in v8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've also found that in 8.0 (even 2.36.108), as long as I connect to a wifi network while in Park, it will continue to stay connected in Drive. But while in Drive, it will not manually or automatically connect to ANY wifi networks, so don't lose the connection to your mobile hotspot :)

I actually kind of like this behavior, because my commute home passes through several shopping centers with half-working urban hotspot networks (e.g. CableWifi/xfinitywifi), and in 7.1 I had to forget these networks because it would latch onto it at 1 bar at a stop light and that'd stop all my music streaming.

I've also found that in 8.0 (even 2.36.108), as long as I connect to a wifi network while in Park, it will continue to stay connected in Drive. But while in Drive, it will not manually or automatically connect to ANY wifi networks, so don't lose the connection to your mobile hotspot :)

I actually kind of like this behavior, because my commute home passes through several shopping centers with half-working urban hotspot networks (e.g. CableWifi/xfinitywifi), and in 7.1 I had to forget these networks because it would latch onto it at 1 bar at a stop light and that'd stop all my music streaming.

I just ran out and drove around the block and connected to wifi on my phone *after* already in drive and moving and had no issues.
Maybe since I went direct from 7.1 to the very latest 8.0 build, perhaps there was database/setting upgrade that occurred on one of the intermediate 8.0 builds that leaves those who got one of these intermediate builds unable to connect.

I just ran out and drove around the block and connected to wifi on my phone *after* already in drive and moving and had no issues.
Maybe since I went direct from 7.1 to the very latest 8.0 build, perhaps there was database/setting upgrade that occurred on one of the intermediate 8.0 builds that leaves those who got one of these intermediate builds unable to connect.

I was able to have my car (running 2.42.40) connect to my phone's hotspot while in reverse in my driveway, back out to the street, shift to drive, and have the car keep its WiFi connection to the hotspot. This counts to me as "fixed".

Bruce.

Reactions: championi
I have 2.42.40 and can confirm that wifi DOES work while driving when hot spotting off my phone which was a pleasant surprise as I decided to take the 8.0 plunge after seeing the USB fixes.

Too bad you didn't try the older build of 8.0 to check if wifi was disabled while driving, so we could know if 2.42.40 fixes it.

...but I still have the problem with 2.42.40 when leaving my house, previously on my WiFi and streaming audio working, and as I drive away, the car switches to LTE, but the audio/streaming does not reconnect. I am forced to tap the screen, wait for the control bar to drop down, tap on Media, tap on something other than Tunein/Streaming, then tap back, and select the streaming source. PITA.

...but I still have the problem with 2.42.40 when leaving my house, previously on my WiFi and streaming audio working, and as I drive away, the car switches to LTE, but the audio/streaming does not reconnect. I am forced to tap the screen, wait for the control bar to drop down, tap on Media, tap on something other than Tunein/Streaming, then tap back, and select the streaming source. PITA.

Are you sure that hitting the Skip button on the steering wheel a few times doesn't work around this?

Could the folks that are not able to switch to wifi while in drive possibly all be on LTE? I've still got the 3g hardware from early 2015.

My car has 3G (getting LTE hardware next week)...I couldn't switch to WiFi while in drive on 8.0(2.36.108), but it works on 8.0(2.42.40). Before that, I could switch to a WiFi hotspot while in drive on 7.1(2.36.31).

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Mine is on LTE, tried wifi today in Drive on firmware 2.42.40 and after scroll wheel reset. But still not able to do wifi, I can choose my hot spot (wifi LTE router) by nothing happens - just goes to LTE.

Wifi only works in Park

This is weird.

Updated to 2.42.40 yesterday. After that, I connected to my iPhone hotspot. Put it into Drive, and it disconnects. Damnit.
This morning, I bought my normal hotspot (I had taken it out of the Tesla since it no longer worked). First, I did a NORMAL reset of both screens (not the trick mentioned earlier in this thread). Then while DRIVING (not parked!) I connected to my wifi hotspot which was already saved in wifi settings from earlier, so no password entry etc. And it connected just fine...

Now I'm curious to see what happens next time I switch from P to D with my wi-fi hotspot...

This is weird.

Updated to 2.42.40 yesterday. After that, I connected to my iPhone hotspot. Put it into Drive, and it disconnects. Damnit.
This morning, I bought my normal hotspot (I had taken it out of the Tesla since it no longer worked). First, I did a NORMAL reset of both screens (not the trick mentioned earlier in this thread). Then while DRIVING (not parked!) I connected to my wifi hotspot which was already saved in wifi settings from earlier, so no password entry etc. And it connected just fine...

Now I'm curious to see what happens next time I switch from P to D with my wi-fi hotspot...

What do you mean with "normal hotspot"?

Hello;

We're from Turkey and because we're not an official market yet we have to rely on hotspots for connectivity in our cars. If it wasn't enough to have connectivity with 3G usb dongles or phone hotspots only when the car is on, a friend reports not being able to use during Drive or Reverse. He says the cars instantaneously shows LTE sign but then drops off.

Can anyone else confirm this is a v 8.0 thing? There were reports of Model S hacking over wifi a few weeks ago, are they cancelling wifi when in gear as an additional layer of safety you reckon?

Thanks
Have you found any solution so far?

Thanks