Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When 3 first came out I had to have one. We traded our 2013 Model S P85 for RWD 3. I so much wish we had kept the S and decided which if not both to keep. I'm in severe Model S withdrawal but simply can't get past the yoke. I'm so close to going with a performance Y but I miss the panache, size, style, rarity compared 3 where I live. If Tesla would bring back the round wheel, I'd pay cash the same day. Please Elon are you listening? And no I'm not really interested in after market steering wheels.

• Love
Reactions: KJD and TigerNinety
This was very much my opinion for the first 10 months after the refreshed S was revealed. But after reading these forums and watching video reviews of the refresh S and the yoke, I decided to try it. I've driven about 5K miles with the yoke so far and with the exception of the horn (which is criminal), I actually find that I like the yoke. In fact, I already find driving my wife's MY or my old MS to be less enjoyable. Yes, I realize not all refresh owners feel this way.

I do agree that it's stupid that Tesla doesn't offer an option for a round wheel, but as it stands right now, the shape is not where most people have issues—it's the touch controls (especially the aforementioned horn) and the scroll wheels that are the worst part. Those would be the same with a round wheel.

I can say that in almost all aspects the refreshed MS is a significant upgrade from my 2015 85D. It's quieter, rides smoother, has a much nicer interior, is quicker, supercharges *WAY* faster, and has 50% more range. The only steps backward, IMHO, are 1) AP3's phantom braking, which my AP1-based 85D has never had; 2) the frunk and trunk areas are slightly smaller; and 3) you can't customize the left and right areas of the IP. Hopefully two of three of those issues will be addressed via OTA in the future.

I did not want a yoke and that was a driver of me getting a used model (2020). The yoke seems to solve a non-existent problem. I wish I had the improved 2022 interior with better cup holders and less weight though. My 2020 plows through corners like a boat. When I borrowed a model 3, cornering was night and day different. The RWD Model 3 was far more sportier. I looked up the weight of both, and my S is 4880 lbs vs around 3600 for the SR+ Model 3. I see the new model S is in the 4600 lb range. I am sure that helps a bit over my car. I did notice that the cheap model 3 had features my S did not have that were software based. Such as side camera usage for turn signal, regen level selection, traffic light integration with cruise control. My S has all the HW to make this happen but for some reason, they put it in the cheaper car or I just do not know how to configure it.

New S also has much better suspension geometry and a lot more tire under it too, so that plus the weight loss seems to mean it can dance now even if it's not exactly light on its feet yet. If you're jonesing for an S again, just buy an aftermarket steering wheel. But

An aftermarket steering wheel would only get you so far—you would still have the wandering haptic controls for horn, turn signals, and everything else, the poorly implement scroll wheels, on-screen ‘shifting’ (which is horrid for multipoint turns), and missing functionality compared to the outgoing Model S (e.g.: one can no longer answer nor dismiss texts or phone calls from the yoke, must use large touch screen, because, as it turns out, multi-function stalks are extremely useful for finger tip control, and leave precious buttons available on the wheel for secondary, non-critical functions, but I guess ‘all input is error…’)

The new primary controls are poorly conceived, unnecessary, demonstrably worse, and less functional than the Mercedes S-class derived controls in the previous Tesla Model S. I, for one, won’t pay >$100k for a car with game boy ergonomics for steering, ‘shifting’ and safety controls (e.g.: turn signals, horn, high beam flash, etc.).

I expect Tesla to define the brand with this garbage, that is, the Cybertruck will have stalkless yoke controls when it comes out (try backing a trailer, in gloves (oops), using a yoke and on-screen ‘shifting!) It’s the sign of a company that’s lost its way and is trying to distinguish itself in the ballooning EV market with superficial nonsense, unrelated to driving. It’s time for an adult to take the reigns away from The Edge Lord of Twitter.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS and Boza
An aftermarket steering wheel would only get you so far—you would still have the wandering haptic controls for horn, turn signals, and everything else, the poorly implement scroll wheels, on-screen ‘shifting’ (which is horrid for multipoint turns), and missing functionality compared to the outgoing Model S (e.g.: one can no longer answer nor dismiss texts or phone calls from the yoke, must use large touch screen, because, as it turns out, multi-function stalks are extremely useful for finger tip control, and leave precious buttons available on the wheel for secondary, non-critical functions, but I guess ‘all input is error…’)

The new primary controls are poorly conceived, unnecessary, demonstrably worse, and less functional than the Mercedes S-class derived controls in the previous Tesla Model S. I, for one, won’t pay >$100k for a car with game boy ergonomics for steering, ‘shifting’ and safety controls (e.g.: turn signals, horn, high beam flash, etc.).

I expect Tesla to define the brand with this garbage, that is, the Cybertruck will have stalkless yoke controls when it comes out (try backing a trailer, in gloves (oops), using a yoke and on-screen ‘shifting!) It’s the sign of a company that’s lost its way and is trying to distinguish itself in the ballooning EV market with superficial nonsense, unrelated to driving. It’s time for an adult to take the reigns away from The Edge Lord of Twitter.
Just buy a Plaid and your bitterness will subside. 😁

This was very much my opinion for the first 10 months after the refreshed S was revealed. But after reading these forums and watching video reviews of the refresh S and the yoke, I decided to try it. I've driven about 5K miles with the yoke so far and with the exception of the horn (which is criminal), I actually find that I like the yoke. In fact, I already find driving my wife's MY or my old MS to be less enjoyable. Yes, I realize not all refresh owners feel this way.

I do agree that it's stupid that Tesla doesn't offer an option for a round wheel, but as it stands right now, the shape is not where most people have issues—it's the touch controls (especially the aforementioned horn) and the scroll wheels that are the worst part. Those would be the same with a round wheel.

I can say that in almost all aspects the refreshed MS is a significant upgrade from my 2015 85D. It's quieter, rides smoother, has a much nicer interior, is quicker, supercharges *WAY* faster, and has 50% more range. The only steps backward, IMHO, are 1) AP3's phantom braking, which my AP1-based 85D has never had; 2) the frunk and trunk areas are slightly smaller; and 3) you can't customize the left and right areas of the IP. Hopefully two of three of those issues will be addressed via OTA in the future.
I agree that the refreshed MS is a significant upgrade from the 2015 MS. But, there are several ways in which it’s a step backward from what came just before it (the 2020 models, which were quite fast and charged very quickly, for example), in my humble opinion. The layout of the 2021 interior is better for the most part, but the materials are a significant step backward. The screen is too wide for the yoke; many drivers won’t be able to see the left side of the screen, because of the width of the screen AND the yoke, a problem that M3 drivers don‘t have.

I hope every owner of the current MS enjoys it. But, I’m also optimistic that competition will help Tesla re-center on what marks a real advance, before its lunch gets eaten in this segment.

The layout of the 2021 interior is better for the most part, but the materials are a significant step backward.
I disagree completely. The materials are way better on the refresh, the layout is way worse. The center console takes up an obnoxious amount of room, the bowling alley was wonderful for a laptop bag. The horizontal screen means part is blocked by the yoke and the other part is to far away to reach. The silly 'ventless' air vents are impossible to position just right.

However the materials are a huge upgrade. Every single surface is covered with a wonderful soft touch material. No more hard plastic anywhere.

As for the op's point. I like the yoke alot. I do not like the fake buttons. If they switched it to real buttons (and made the airbag the horn), I'd love the yoke.

Reactions: SDRick
We’ll agree on some points and disagree on others, legit. I found the wood on my 2016.5 vastly superior to the material (whatever that is) in the new Model S, the Alcantra was much better, too. The 2016.5 (and even earlier) didn’t have the “bowling alley,” which to me was a waste of space (something enclosable would have been better, as in the Model 3’s center console). We obviously agree on the screen/yoke problem. I do miss physical air vent controls, but mostly for safety while adjusting; I don’t miss seeing them.

I’m still not sure why Tesla can’t figure out center console cup holders. The ones on the M3 are a vast improvement over the 2016.5 S (which were positioned much too far back), but they’re smaller than they need to be.

Anyway….

How about this?

It goes without saying that the Model L100 Concept is strictly that—a concept. However, as far as far-fetched futuristic features go, I'm really digging this way more than a yoke, joystick, or just not having anything in place of a steering wheel. This chess piece and chessboard really speak to one's natural instinct of movement. As humans, whenever we want to move something we just pick it up and move it; so why should our cars be any different?

I did not want a yoke and that was a driver of me getting a used model (2020). The yoke seems to solve a non-existent problem. I wish I had the improved 2022 interior with better cup holders and less weight though. My 2020 plows through corners like a boat. When I borrowed a model 3, cornering was night and day different. The RWD Model 3 was far more sportier. I looked up the weight of both, and my S is 4880 lbs vs around 3600 for the SR+ Model 3. I see the new model S is in the 4600 lb range. I am sure that helps a bit over my car. I did notice that the cheap model 3 had features my S did not have that were software based. Such as side camera usage for turn signal, regen level selection, traffic light integration with cruise control. My S has all the HW to make this happen but for some reason, they put it in the cheaper car or I just do not know how to configure it.
My sentiment exactly! I bought a 2020 LR+, just before they stopped producing it. When the refresh came out, initially, I sooo much wanted to trade it in…. Until I saw and tried the yoke. It is abomination! I am super thrilled now that I have the latest Raven where almost all issues have been ironed out. Aside from the yoke and worse ergonomics (center screen, back screen, vents, interface, etc) the refreshed model has a lot of issues that they still need to work on (for example, the problem with the front half axels is back).
So, be happy that you have the latest Raven and enjoy it!

Fascinating to see how resistant people are to change.
I find the yoke much easier to use both on the freeway (comfortable to rest my hands at the bottom corners) and when making sharp turns (much easier to push on a corner than grip a circle).
I find my LR is significantly better than my 2015 S in every way... Performance, interior, exterior, quality, range, charging, info systems, handling.
It's fully automated luxury.

I'm not resistant to change, I have a ****ing Model X, but even I'm not dumb enough to be taken in by yet another shiny new thing when it's this stupid

Of course your brand new X is nicer than your seven year old public beta S. The S in 2015 was a shirt show. That doesn't excuse dumb design decisions, which the yoke most certainly is, at least in the absence of a variable-ratio rack.

I'm not resistant to change, I have a ****ing Model X, but even I'm not dumb enough to be taken in by yet another shiny new thing when it's this stupid

Of course your brand new X is nicer than your seven year old public beta S. The S in 2015 was a shirt show. That doesn't excuse dumb design decisions, which the yoke most certainly is, at least in the absence of a variable-ratio rack.
I don't know if there is anything else that I can say to help you out of your predicament. You seem to have an irrational, almost hysterical fear/hatred of the yoke (and spillover to Tesla in general).
I loved my 2015 S85D. It was the best car I've ever owned. I literally smiled every time I drove it. I really didn't have any problems with it or issues. I didn't even notice the notorious panel gaps that seemed to bother some people. I bought the new LR S primarily for the longer range and faster charging (plus upgraded info systems) but I have been pleasantly surprised to find that just about everything is better in the 2022. It did take a few days for my muscle memory to adjust to the yoke but as I have stated after driving for 7 months and several long trips, I find it much more comfortable and easier to use than the wheel. On long trips, I just rest my palms at 4 and 8 in the corners... much easier and more comfortable than gripping an indefinite position on a wheel. When turning, I find it much easier to push the corners of the yoke than to grasp a wheel.
Anyway, you seem to be set in your ways. There are aftermarket wheels for the S and you might consider them... or just buy something else ...

The negative aspects of the yoke have been discussed as nauseam so I will not list them again. Not every change is beneficial so resistance to change is not a valid argument. What if Tesla puts spikes on the seat (believe me, they could come us with some bogus reason), would rejecting it be resistance to change?! :)
Unfortunately, the aftermarket wheel is not a replacement for the lack of stalks, which is one of the major issues with the yoke design.
The balance between the negatives and positives (real or perceived) is somewhat personal so providing an option for such critical change is important. Especially, when I heard quite a few people cancelling MS/X orders because of the yoke but have not heard anyone placing an order just because of the yoke.

than my 2015 S in every way... Performance, interior, exterior, quality, range, charging, info systems, handling.
It's fully automated luxury.
My 2014 is superior to my 2021 in a number of ways. Interior storage space, real leather (particaulary compared to the crap plastic covering on the yoke), 3rd row seats, massive frunk, configurable dash, real buttons, way better controls.

My 2021 is way better in alot of other ways, but it sure is a case of two steps forward, one step back.

You vote with your $’s. Just don’t buy one. I used to really hate the air suspension but I still bought two MS with it. It wasn’t enough to stop me from buying. After the Plaid track update I love what it adds. I never use it on a daily basis and don’t track my car. It adds complexity, cost and another thing that will go wrong and be expensive to fix. Still I bought it and don’t complain that Tesla should offer standard suspensions for people like me. Obviously there are tons of folks that do like it and I’m a minority.

If you’re right the market will force Tesla to go back to a standard wheel. But it might take a while. Relative to other models MS is a low volume product and there might be enough folks that like it or just accept it.

I do like it. Didn’t take long to adjust.