Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-existent Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is true. If you have any non-standard issue with a Tesla department - Service, Sales, Finance, etc... You are going to have a hell of a time. Be prepared for full voicemail boxes, email bounce backs, and a long wait.
I've concluded that the fastest and most effective way to escalate is to file a federal lawsuit. It's ridiculous, but it's the only thing which gets top management attention.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
A bankrupt Tesla provides no service to anyone.

You will still buy a Tesla regardless of their terrible service.

It’s a game theory decision they have made.

Not that I like it because I have cars that need servicing but it’s how it is right now. Maybe their act is together once the Y is out.

I’m sure I’ll get a few pouty disagrees but that’s all they are gonna do. Sit there and pout. :) I will shut up when someone goes to Jaguar and trades in their Tesla for an iPace.

I will keep saying:

I wish and hope Tesla can improve their support infrastructure.

I'm just stating how it is.. not how it ought to be.

It was asked before why can't Tesla get completely obvious *sugar* together. I answered, knowing how management works.

New priorities, over-riding priorities. That's it.

The explanation doesn't fix peoples problems but I hope it brings some understanding and peace.

People also value utility over principles (depending on how you price your principles).

Tesla is in the power position and they are doing what they have to prioritize. Maximum production, maximum sales.

Once they "won", they can spare cash for overhead. Existing customers are overhead.

Again, how it is - not how it ought to be.

I agree, this is exactly what is happening.

A terrible company. But it is what is happening.

I would add one thing: Tesla is not just gambling service, they also seem to be doing the same to product quality — all in the name of moving as much of new product as possible and worrying (or even denying) quality claims later. Case in point the Model 3 paint quality since late 2018:

Model 3 paint wearing off

The part where I have reservations are some of the conclusions. I am sure this ”game theory” move will continue to work as long as Tesla finds new customers for their so far unique product, which they have indeed found. So I think their sales are safe for the time being. But are the repeat buys as guaranteed as @MXWing thinks?

I think Tesla is accumulating ”debt” towards their existing and even new buyers and at some point that debt will be due. Tesla is likely betting they have their house in order by that time and the damage will be limited or insignificant but I am not sure that is a guaranteed outcome. If more and more people see buying a new Tesla as a hassle and a gamble, why do it? Perhaps just keep the old one longer...

So I am not sure it is at all that guaranteed owners with these experiences will continue to buy new Teslas. Even a delayed purchase is a sale lost at one stage. It is obvious from TMC and Reddit that there are lots of long-time owners today more hesitant at buying a new Tesla than they used to be. There may be some cost in that to Tesla. In year’s time there will be even more competing BEVs available.

Also for a company that claims they do not advertise, losing some of the word of mouth (or getting negative word of mouth) could have some impact.

Whether or not any of this ends up having any significant impact on the company is of course unknown.

Incorrect... We are long term owners and have seen Tesla Customer Service decline rapidly since 2012-2017.
This is so very true. I reserved my first Model X in September 2015. I was an evangelist for the brand before I owned a car. I took delivery in June 2016. I loved my Model X. I praised the car (and the brand) to anyone who would listen. Then I ordered a new Model X in May 2019. The entire process was different. Little to no communication from Tesla. Moved my delivery appointment by a week less than 24 hours before scheduled pickup. The car was delivered without the ordered FSD and no could be bothered to figure out why. Then I spent a week of dialing every service and sales number at multiple local SCs trying to get a human being to pick up a phone. Even though I finally found ONE Tesla employ who could even be bothered to resolve my problem, the whole ordeal left a bad taste in my mouth. It is very shoddy service for a company selling a product that seems to depend on word-of-mouth and customer enthusiasm.

I was an evangelist for the brand before I owned a car. I took delivery in June 2016. I loved my Model X. I praised the car (and the brand) to anyone who would listen. Then I ordered a new Model X in May 2019.
A bit off topic but why did you move from the 2016X to the 2019X? And now that you have made the move did the value pan out?

I keep doing the math and the upgrade does not add up for me.

If anyone has more solutions please post for those having difficulties with unusual problems. I want them resolved too and would like to know what works.

(My previous comment said that SOME posters sounded like they were spreading FUD, not ALL posters.)

Someone mentioned filing a federal lawsuit as a solution. Is this a serious comment? Not the first "go to" I hope. What would the lawyer's specialty be? I know a letter from an attorney can have an impact. Not an attorney ... and happy with customer service, but curious.

A bit off topic but why did you move from the 2016X to the 2019X? And now that you have made the move did the value pan out?

I keep doing the math and the upgrade does not add up for me.
I am just a week in. I debated making the jump. I live near Boston and like taking the X on road trips to NYC or NH or ME. 325 miles buys me a little more optionality and peace of mind. I'm not sure if I could totally justify the value proposition, but I do enjoy the smoother ride and am looking forward to the potentials of FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
What's up with the horrible customer service. Tesla does not reply to emails and you cannot reach anyone by phone including the SC
I whole heartedly agree. They never return calls and just don't seem to know what they are doing. See my note below to the Tesla Board.

Dear Board Members,

A week ago, on Saturday, we picked up our new model 3 at the dealer near Orlando. We had driven it for less than 50 miles and the low brake fluid light popped up the next morning, Sunday. First, we called and the dealer was telling us to reboot the car. They seemed to think there was no way to actually check the brake fluid level, but I realized that it had to be easily checkable. In the frunk, under the plastic panel next to the windshield washer tank, I found the brake fluid reservoir. Indeed the brake fluid tank was empty. All this happened after the Model 3 was delivered without the HomeLink we ordered back in May.

We spent our Sunday trying to contact roadside assistance and waiting for the tow truck to take it. As it was Sunday the shop was closed. On Monday, as I am a retired engineering professor, I went to the dealership. Using adult language I insisted that they pressure test the brake fluid system while I waited there. After all, Tesla delivered an unsafe car and used me for quality control. Indeed the model 3 was leaking brake fluid.

They ordered an antilock brake pump and some brake lines. First I was told it should be ready on Wednesday. Then they called and said Friday. On Friday they called and said Tuesday. So I still don't have my new model 3. I told them they are way too young to have read "Unsafe at any Speed" by Ralph Nadar about the Chevy Corvair. I am really, really pissed. I tried to get a name and number in order to complain to headquarters and the dealer would not give it to me.

I am still waiting for the HomeLink and the brake repair.

Thank you Google.

Some of the posters here claim that Tesla always has bad customer service and they do it on purpose, with sinister motives, and take pleasure in abandoning owners. That sounds like FUD.
Volkswagen has such a reputation for honesty! (sarcasm). I think that's relevant.
I whole heartedly agree. They never return calls and just don't seem to know what they are doing. See my note below to the Tesla Board.

Dear Board Members,

A week ago, on Saturday, we picked up our new model 3 at the dealer near Orlando.

The Orlando Tesla center is particularly bad. I feel your pain.

I think one underlying problem with the service issue is the monopoly Tesla has on service. Since you can’t take your vehicle to a non Tesla service center, there’s no competition. Consequently we are at their mercy. The vehicle is without question an engineering masterpiece. However, due to limited Tesla financial resources, Tesla can’t grow the service side to match delivery side. Plus the vehicle build is not quite as reliable as we would like (mine had multiple minor issues).

I’m starting to understand why the dealership model may make sense. A dealer doesn’t affect an automaker’s bottom line financially. But the dealer is incentivized to provide excellent service to generate revenue.

BTW Final thought- the best way to get someone from Tesla to communicate with you is to make a service appointment. They text the day before to go over details/issues. ( The Cleveland center has been pretty reliable so far. ) I love my car and despite the lack of infrastructure support Tesla can provide, I am rooting strongly for their long term survival and success.

• Love
Reactions: rjdoc74 and galan
While I truly feel bad for those that have had abysmal service from their SC... I wonder if it's SC related?

My SC (Bellevue, WA) is fantastic! Yes, it is more difficult to get someone on the phone these days... but with the app, it's trouble-free (for me) and I typically hear from someone within 24 hours.

Granted, I have not had to use roadside assistance or any such... but my SC has been great. No complaints from me! :D

Ordered a black repair paint kit. Sent a red one instead. This was late May. I emailed, called, tried the chat, etc.

Sent multiple emails. Went in to SC in Tyson’s Corner VA. Gave me another email to try. Emailed them mid June and again a couple weeks ago. Here we are on July 16th. Still no response other than those automated email replies.

All I need to know is how to send the red kit back to them so they can send my black kit.

Ridiculous.

Reactions: rjdoc74
Ordered a black repair paint kit. Sent a red one instead. This was late May. I emailed, called, tried the chat, etc.

Sent multiple emails. Went in to SC in Tyson’s Corner VA. Gave me another email to try. Emailed them mid June and again a couple weeks ago. Here we are on July 16th. Still no response other than those automated email replies.

All I need to know is how to send the red kit back to them so they can send my black kit.

Ridiculous.

Agreed... abysmal. Back in the day, Tesla service would provide touch up paint at no charge and exchange colors if requested.

Telling a customer to send an email to their unmonitored mailbox is nonsense ... even Chevy dealers stock basic DIY parts :cool:

I whole heartedly agree. They never return calls and just don't seem to know what they are doing. See my note below to the Tesla Board. Dear Board Members,
A week ago, on Saturday, we picked up our new model 3 at the dealer near Orlando. We had driven it for less than 50 miles and the low brake fluid light popped up the next morning, Sunday. First, we called and the dealer was telling us to reboot the car. They seemed to think there was no way to actually check the brake fluid level, but I realized that it had to be easily checkable. In the frunk, under the plastic panel next to the windshield washer tank, I found the brake fluid reservoir. Indeed the brake fluid tank was empty. All this happened after the Model 3 was delivered without the HomeLink we ordered back in May.

We spent our Sunday trying to contact roadside assistance and waiting for the tow truck to take it. As it was Sunday the shop was closed. On Monday, as I am a retired engineering professor, I went to the dealership. Using adult language I insisted that they pressure test the brake fluid system while I waited there. After all, Tesla delivered an unsafe car and used me for quality control. Indeed the model 3 was leaking brake fluid.

They ordered an antilock brake pump and some brake lines. First I was told it should be ready on Wednesday. Then they called and said Friday. On Friday they called and said Tuesday. So I still don't have my new model 3. I told them they are way too young to have read "Unsafe at any Speed" by Ralph Nadar about the Chevy Corvair. I am really, really pissed. I tried to get a name and number in order to complain to headquarters and the dealer would not give it to me.

I am still waiting for the HomeLink and the brake repair.

Thank you Google.

Well done... let us know if you receive a response from the board.

Wow..
It's really sad:( to see such appalling state of a company, which, ita owner says and defends like he's so much concerned.

It's such a beautiful product and destroying it in such a way is actually sad.

Reading all posts, I don't think anyone at Tesla knows Sales 101.

I am looking forward to owning a Tesla soon and I dont know I should be elated at ownership of this beautiful product or should be concerned about the service.

Wow..
It's really sad:( to see such appalling state of a company, which, ita owner says and defends like he's so much concerned.

It's such a beautiful product and destroying it in such a way is actually sad.

Reading all posts, I don't think anyone at Tesla knows Sales 101.

I am looking forward to owning a Tesla soon and I dont know I should be elated at ownership of this beautiful product or should be concerned about the service.

Service used to be great, but unfortunately it rapidly deteriorated in the past few months. If not having good service bothers you then it's best not to own a Tesla at this time. If the company survives, I believe SC is where one of their main focus would be. For now, as per Wall Street's demand they just want to sell you the car and that's it!

Reactions: FlatSix911
To date, I've only had minor-moderate severity issues in the first 2k-ish miles, like repainting a quarter panel, intermittent rattles & door alignment on my 2019 SR+.

As others have stated, the build quality and 'service' have been mostly amateur hour nonsense:

Paint work, with a loaner car, was put in a 'We Owe' / due bill at delivery. When I dropped it off, we set a few other work items like low tires, door/window seal alignment, etc. I know, should have refused the car. My fault there. I knew better, but its AZ, you need a car, and mine was totaled.

After that paint work, I was given back a dirty car, covered in minor-moderate buffer trails / hologram, and fine/light scratching, with dirt/contaminants on the inside too, covering both passenger side doors and the passenger side windshield / dash / dash trim. Luckily, I could tell it was some type of polishing compound or wax flung from buffing w/ the doors open, and I was able to appropriately clean the areas without causing damage to the delicate dash/interior trim. This is not OK. Rule number one of returning a vehicle post-paint/body repair is that the vehicle be showroom clean when presented to the customer. Oh, and the tires were still low from temps dropping, despite the work order saying they'd addressed it. Later that evening on the freeway, I still had the same exact intermittent rattle coming from the left rear door, and gently pressing down on the soft upper trim of the door card still stopped the rattle. Since then several other small/intermittent rattles have joined the fray. I've got around 2k miles now. This does not bode well for the promised longevity of 300,000+ miles. I will drop in on the Scottsdale SC to make service appointments for this eventually. Screw that app nonsense. I'll go talk to an actual human.

I was so pissed when I had to take that dirty car back, that I wrote an angry email to the delivery teams and the SC. (Was out of time, had to go back to work. Plus, they were holding the $100/day loaner fee over my head) Since then, I've been totally ghosted by AZ team over email, and nobody ever answers the phone. Even though I was there to complain about being ghosted on email, the techs at the Scottsdale SC were pleasant to speak with when I stopped in again. Nice or not, they didn't help me either. *shrug* They did at least admit that numerous people at the facility received my email. The manager never got off the portable office phone she had stuck to her head, so I left again, without ever speaking to anyone that might be able to actually help. For crying out loud, it was just a basic buff job / paint correction, and some felt tape that was needed to make things right... None if that is rocket surgery ;)

The end result is that after seeing the lack of build quality of missing/soft paint with blemishes, misaligned doors/seals, and watching me try to get my issues resolved, at least one of my coworkers is buying a non-Tesla BEV now. Previously, they were looking at the 3, and one of them was possibly doing an X too... They're cars are all still living, so they have the luxury of time to shop.

Tesla's inability to deliver a properly built car and resolve my issues in a timely manner has already cost them at least $7-10k in gross profit on 1-3 sales. At this point, I'm concerned about what would happen if something serious was wrong with my car, and whether or not they'll even be around to support this car in 5+ years when they keep treating their customers this way. The worst part to me is that, despite its quirks and drawbacks, charging at home is awesome, pre-cooling a car without idling an I.C.E. is the best automotive feature ever, and the 3 SR+ is easily the best driving experience in its price range. Wanh-wanh-waaahhhh.