Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-owners, did you get invite to configure?

Non-owner, received invite to configure?

• Yes

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 225 90.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who was the 1 person who received an invite? Please share details. I'm a CA non-owner who reserved first day online. Have a feeling quite a few groups will get theirs first, but I'm ok with it as long as I get in before the tax credit starts getting phased out.

Who was the 1 person who received an invite?
I know who it is and you would too if you read posts carefully. They paid someone, an owner, who decided they didn't want their reservation and sold the invitation to him for a fee. He then configured the car to his specification (which is Midnight Silver) It is a way to jump the queue. All the owner has to do is list the other person as a co-owner on the pink slip and then after taking possession remove themselves as a co-owner.

Also, there are some non-owners who have extended family members who are owners and reserved for them on their behalf.

I or any one of you could do the same thing if we wanted to spend the extra money on the fee. But it is not my style to do business that way and I will get my invitation soon enough, maybe in 2 or 3 months as a first day CA non-owner on-line reservationist. And I retain my self-respect.

Chiming in here, received my invite Jan 4, configured same day. Received VIN on the 12th. Not a current owner but used to own a Roadster. Delivery scheduled the week of the 22nd down here in South Florida. So excited!!

Seems kinda cool that ex-roadster owners are getting invites! When you watch the Model 3 reveal video, Elon starts the presentation by showing how the people who bought the roadster allowed the company to bootstrap up to the S, and finally where we are today.

I will happily wait another 48 minutes for my car so that every roadster owner who no longer owns a Tesla gets theirs first.

Just 48 minutes though, not a single minute longer...

RT

OP should have been a bit more careful with the poll criteria. I believe the intent here is to determine when invites begin for those with no owner connection at all (e.g. never owner, not using an owner invite). Basically those of us among the great unwashed.

Also happy to wait my turn so the pioneers get first option. You put your money where your ideals are so the priority is deserved.

OP should have been a bit more careful with the poll criteria. I believe the intent here is to determine when invites begin for those with no owner connection at all (e.g. never owner, not using an owner invite). Basically those of us among the great unwashed.

Also happy to wait my turn so the pioneers get first option. You put your money where your ideals are so the priority is deserved.

Yeah, I thought the point of the poll was obvious. Silly me. These are outliers who said yes. What we need to concentrate on is when "yes" really starts ticking up in 5s and 10s counts.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Yeah, I agree, the poll is flawed even though the intent is obvious. The simple answer to the poll is NO ONE has received an invite who isn't connected to a Tesla employee or connected (familial) to current or previous ownership, or who didn't buy an owner's invitation to game the system. I don't worry about the outliers, I believe in karma. The rest of us (in the US) will start getting our reservations in the next couple of months. And for those of you who haven't seen or sat in the car in person, the wait is going to be worth it ! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Hi there,

I am a current Tesla owner in Chicago. Was in line at the store back in March of 2016 to place order. I am not a Tesla employee. I was invited to configure the car January 4, with a 4 week delivery window. As I prefer the dual engine version I deferred. So it is happening now. I am sure they invited somebody else in the meantime.