Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non- Owners Invitees: Are you configuring or deferring?

Did you chose to Configure or Wait?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Pacific NW, 3-31-16, in line invite yesterday and I'm deferring for the AWD performance model or see what performance EVs the Germans release. Till then...gonna drive around in a Bolt to quench that EV craving.
You’re passing up a Model 3 because it’s not a “performance” version, but you’re going to buy a Bolt? Care to explain that logic?

You’re passing up a Model 3 because it’s not a “performance” version, but you’re going to buy a Bolt? Care to explain that logic?
Bolt OTD was 29.5K for the top trimmed model...cheaper EV to play with than 50K+ car.

The performance car that I buy might end up being a Dino Juice sucking Cayman or 911. Just couldn't see spending 50k+ on the current RWD Mod 3... But 29.5K on a Bolt was compelling.

Yeah..the 50K+ Mod 3 has more features than the Bolt... But I'm comparing my as configured choices on both models... apples/oranges...but works for me.

Reactions: Electroman
For 1.5 years, I was a non-owner who reserved online minutes after reservations opened. Then I bought a no frills CPO S, which was intended to take the place of the 3. Either car would have been fine, but I just wanted to get off dino juice as soon as possible. The CPO S was comparable in price to what I would have configured for a 3. For me, being efficient is higher priority than economics or car performance. I already had the solar panels, so an EV was a no brainer. And I appreciate Tesla for disrupting the auto industry. Without Tesla, traditional auto would still be sitting on their 100-year-old tech satisfied with small incremental improvements and cashing in.

I thought all I cared about was efficiency. Once I drove the S, the driving experience won me over. The S became my wife's daily driver, and It became very hard to drive my ICE car (yes, serious 1st world problem). So I started to consider the 3 again - I never canceled my reservation. For a while I considered waiting for AWD but decided it wasn't worth the wait. I committed to the 3 as well. In total, I ended up spending way more than I thought I would, but absolutely no regrets.

Does anybody know how the "waiting" really happens? If I say that I'd like to wait until August to make my purchase (due to not being home enough between now and then for it to make sense to take delivery in the next six weeks) what happens next? Do I set up a firm configuration time now? Or do I just begin the process whenever I want at a later date? Does the month I choose now really matter if I find that I can do it sooner? Is choosing a month to defer to any different than just sitting here doing nothing with my invitation?

Help me out here. I'm trying to find something else to worry about now that I've finally gotten my invite, and it is killing me to not order now...

Does anybody know how the "waiting" really happens? If I say that I'd like to wait until August to make my purchase (due to not being home enough between now and then for it to make sense to take delivery in the next six weeks) what happens next? Do I set up a firm configuration time now? Or do I just begin the process whenever I want at a later date? Does the month I choose now really matter if I find that I can do it sooner? Is choosing a month to defer to any different than just sitting here doing nothing with my invitation?

Help me out here. I'm trying to find something else to worry about now that I've finally gotten my invite, and it is killing me to not order now...

Nothing you selected as your preference locks you into anything. Think of it as just a survey. You can still configure your car whenever you're ready. And you're still in line to be ungated for the next configuration they open up.

Reactions: CaliBear1
Nothing you selected as your preference locks you into anything. Think of it as just a survey. You can still configure your car whenever you're ready. And you're still in line to be ungated for the next configuration they open up.
Thanks for this. That's what I figured... much like telling them in advance if you want the SR or the AWD. It does nothing but give them a heads up of customer wants.

So it sounds like sitting here doing nothing with my invite is the same as officially choosing, "I'll wait until August."

Thanks for this. That's what I figured... much like telling them in advance if you want the SR or the AWD. It does nothing but give them a heads up of customer wants.

So it sounds like sitting here doing nothing with my invite is the same as officially choosing, "I'll wait until August."

If you manage that, you have more discipline than me. I sat on my invite for a whole 15 days before caving and configuring :p

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Line waiter non-owner here. I got my invite last month, but I wanted to get my finances in order (just moved out to Seattle, started a new job). Now that I'm settled, since we're so close to the WA sales tax exemption ending, I'm going to go for it, even though I'd prefer to wait for AWD.

Reactions: IdaX
Late afternoon (short) line waiter here. Finally received invitation to configure, but I'm traveling now and will be gone for the month of June. Also moving in July. Given those issues, I deferred. Plus, my dream configuration includes white interior and at least the slightly quicker 0-60 time AWD should feature. Despite the logic driving my decision, I still go to sleep every night thinking "why not the black on black LR PUP 'first edition' Model 3? Argghhh!

Reactions: Toph