Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla Charger Warranty issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I couldn't find it mentioned.

I would like to install a Tesla wall charger in Sheffield, but all this talk of additional electrical requirements in the UK and expense is off-putting. However, the Tesla dealer told me if I use any other home charger any issues caused to the car wouldn't be covered by warranty.

Is using a non-Tesla wall charger likely to cause issues?? I don't fancy paying over £1,000 just to have a Tesla wall charger if something just as effective can be got for significantly less. I'm not interested in 3 phase power supplies, just whatever I can get from my existing electrics.

Cheers!

I wouldn't worry about using a non Tesla charge connector. Its 'just' a power socket - all the clever stuff is done in the car. Its a bit like a TV manufacturer saying that the TV is not covered by warranty unless you use their plug. Mostly nonsense by Tesla staff - just make sure its correctly fitted.

Reactions: jdr93
see the youtubes from yorkshireman 'electric vehicle man'. he installed a non tesla charger for his tesla m3. no issues. he does some pretty good not over long videos about the electric vehicles his family has owned over the past 5 - 6 years.

There are lots of dubious fears about warranties, most untrue to some degree. Given that all Tesla vehicles are sold here with a standard Type 2 connector, and advertised as being able to charge from any Type 2 charge point, there would be zero basis for any refusal to honour a warranty if charging from a non-Tesla branded charge point. Electrically, there's nothing at all different between a TWC and any other Type 2 charge point, as far as the supply to the car is concerned. It's just a fancy, switched, mains power outlet in reality, and is not a charger at all, the charger(s) are in the car, and are just fed mains power via the Type 2 connector.

FWIW, mine's only ever been charged a couple of times from a Tesla branded charge point, almost all charges have been via my home made charge point I installed years ago, long before I had the Tesla.

I wouldn't worry about using a non Tesla charge connector. Its 'just' a power socket - all the clever stuff is done in the car. Its a bit like a TV manufacturer saying that the TV is not covered by warranty unless you use their plug. Mostly nonsense by Tesla staff - just make sure its correctly fitted.

Aside from not knowing how a charger could break the car. I am not sure how you could prove it. I have seen several threads to do with broken charging capability. Not seen one yet that was blamed on faulty 3rd party charge equipment.
But don't give them ideas we don't want them using "the wrong type of electicity" as an excuse

Is using a non-Tesla wall charger likely to cause issues??

I would guess that the number of people on this forum who use Tesla charge points for home charging will be a fairly small minority. This is not least of all because the grants that are available to defray the cost of purchase and installation of home charging points cannot be used with the Tesla hardware. There has been no discussion on the forum that I have seen referring to any warranty issues that have arisen from the choice of a particular brand of charger point.

I would pay to see a feature-length video of that Tesla dealer representative explaining how a standard type-2 socket wall point of any description could cause any sort of warranty rejection.

challenge them to do a PowerPoint presentation explaining why and record it. Brilliant.

• Funny
Reactions: M3noob