Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla on a supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, my sister saw this at the new v3 Supercharger near Faro...
ECD904DC-ADBD-43D8-B510-27D04F1C5185.jpeg

Seems that this stems from an EU regulation, The Alternative Fuels Directive 2014. That requires all EU member states to pass legislation that requires all providers of public chargers to include a Mennekes type 2 connector where Level 2 or fast AC charging is made available, and a CCS connector where Level 3 charging is provided. That will only apply to equipment installed or upgraded on or after 18th November 2017. Providers may additionally make any other kinds of connector available. The regulations also require providers to enable anyone to use any public charger without having to preregister, or use any unique form of access or method of payment.

It seems that this EU regulation effectively prohibits Tesla from building any new Supercharger sites in the EU unless they include some chargers that can charge non-Tesla vehicles. Seems to be an old Directive, so it may be that it's only now been noticed that some Tesla Superchargers are free for any non-Tesla to use.

I don’t think that’s it, Tesla aren’t “public chargers”. Chap from Polar/Chargemaster is often at great pains to point that out so they aren’t compared to Tesla

this is the old directive that is pushing CCS2 and no signups needed, but it doesn’t apply to private networks

Is a Tesla supercharger “public”?

It seems so, from the wording in the EU Directive. This refers to "publicly accessible", and, at least in UK law (all nations of the UK, I think) that means any area of land that can be freely entered without a physical restriction, or a law or byelaw that specifically prohibits access. For those who want some soporific reading, here's the relevant EU Directive. The key bits are really in Article 4, but you need to read a fair bit of the preamble to get the context for Article 4: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32014L0094&from=en

It seems so, from the wording in the EU Directive. This refers to "publicly accessible", and, at least in UK law (all nations of the UK, I think) that means any area of land that can be freely entered without a physical restriction, or a law or byelaw that specifically prohibits access. For those who want some soporific reading, here's the relevant EU Directive. The key bits are really in Article 4, but you need to read a fair bit of the preamble to get the context for Article 4: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32014L0094&from=en

Point 7 of Article 2 of the Directive appears to exclude Tesla:
DIRECTIVE 2014/94/EU said:
(7) ‘recharging, or refuelling point accessible to the public’ means a recharging, or refuelling point to supply an alternative fuel which provides Union-wide non-discriminatory access to users. Non-discriminatory access may include different terms of authentication, use, and payment;
CleanTechnica said:
The Directive would not be intended to apply to private chargers, but only to chargers intended for use by the general public. Rather than leaving the meaning of “public charger” open, they have attempted to define it in point 7. “Union-wide access” simply means available to be used by any EU citizen, exercising their right to freedom of movement within the EU, or a citizen of the member state. “Non-discriminatory access” would suggest that a charger which is intended for use by an exclusive group, thereby discriminating against other users, would not be classed as a “public charger.”

Source: Standardization Of EV Charging In The EU

Will be reported here at 7pm
some speculation that it’s to comply with a French law
https://twitter.com/teslastars/status/1304700303930003457?s=21
If so, Tesla might add NFC Payment capability to some Superchargers stalls, so any no Tesla drivers will be able to use them.

I imagine that there will be a transition period of 'free' usage until may be the end of 2020 or so.

Kind of publicity stunt so people will get used to go to Tesla Supercharger and appreciate the better service.

(This remind me the story of a drug dealer giving free samples... to future customers !!!)

Last edited:
Dunno. it's quite odd. The SC network is a huge USP for Tesla, so I would expect them to mount some kind of legal challenge if it is that directive.

Just seems odd to throw away something that is a big factor in people choosing the brand, esp when the model 2 or whatever it's going to be called ID.3 competitor is supposedly coming..

Although being sneaky it could be the drug dealer approach(edit: great minds:) ). Let people use it for free and then take it away.. See what you could have had if you'd have brought a tesla ;)

Most likely it's a bug, as I would have thought before it allows any charge it would ask "does this person have a tesla account and is there a valid payment card attached to it"

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Probably worth noting that the EU Directive is not law. It's as its name suggests, a directive to the governments of all member states that they MUST make laws in their own states that reflect the intention of the Directive.

It's quite possible that some EU member states may have made local laws that are more restrictive than the wording in the Directive. In the past, the UK was guilty of doing this, in particular, taking the wording of a Directive literally, rather than considering that some of it might just be guidance.

I rather think that this is a British trait, and somewhat different from the more relaxed interpretations applied by some other member states. I well remember my first morning of driving to work in Italy. I stopped at a red light, only for everyone around to blast their horn, with scooters driving through the red light, their riders waving their fists at me. When I got to work, I asked an Italian colleague about the law in Italy regarding traffic lights. His reply has stuck with me: "In Italy, we consider traffic lights to be only guidance . . ."

Reactions: Obliter8
The UK implementation has a specific exemption for ‘publicly accessible’. They’re not publicly accessible when:

“(i)exclusive use in respect of a vehicle produced by a specific manufacturer”
The Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Regulations 2017

Other EU countries domestic legislation may be different.

Elon can’t leave it that Tesla drivers have to pay and other marks get it free. Tesla get yourself an app to charge the other folk.

In reality the meeting was probably Elon trying to persuade the German auto firms to stop influencing the UN to frustrate autopilot development= find some common ground & interests for mutual benefit. i.e. don’t shoot yourselves in the foot for when you get to the stage we’re at.

The more humorous version:
Musk: “So is Ionity going to reduce its price?”, Diess: “No”, Musk: “If I give away free electricity Ionity will go bust”, Diess: “Sure, you’ll do us a favour, a Tesla can provide a good charging network for our cars we don’t have to maintain. We just make more cars.”

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up