Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla on a supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, picked up the M3 LR today from Heathrow with 31% charge but that's another story.
Just pulled up to my local supercharger at Wyboston and their was just 1 stall being used.
It was a Hyundai or Kia (can't tell the difference) plugged into the supercharger. He was looking puzzled. He walks over and asks where he has to pay as he couldn't unplug. I said sorry I think these only work with Tesla's. He said well it just filled his car up in 40 mins! A bit confused I walk over and show him the button on the top to release and out it comes.
Was I wrong in saying these were for Tesla's only? Could it be they are not communicating yet and allowing anyone with the right connection to charge? How odd.

No didn't see the charge state but he seemed really relieved as he said he'd nearly ran out.
When I pressed the release button the light around his plug turned from green to blue and unlocked.

Attachments

• IMG_20200901_185133.jpg
    IMG_20200901_185133.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 181
Reactions: Roy W.
Bizarre.

The Kia’s VIN can’t be in the ‘allow’ list. IF(!) it managed to charge, it would make sense Tesla made them fully OCPP / CCS compliant to cover the risk of future legislation. Tesla better fix ASAP before SuC’s get over run with freeloading EVs.

Maybe people in the USA didn’t try this because they don’t have CCS?

Does the release button stop the charge? If so the car might have unlocked the latch because charging had stopped. That bit might make sense it's the actually charging bit that is wierd if correct.

The release button functionality on the Tesla connector seems to be the same as that for J1772, it changes the resistance between the proximity pilot and PE. As this is not a Tesla specific protocol, there's a fair chance that other cars may respond to the change in PP to PE resistance in the same way.

This protocol dates back to the time when the J1772 connector was commonplace, as it had a manually operated latch with a microswitch that changed the PP to PE resistance, as a safety precaution, so the car could disable charging as soon as the latch button was pressed, ensuring that the connector couldn't be disconnected under load. Although the normal Type 2 connector relies on the car to operate the latch, the protocol to make that latch operate with a change in PP to PE resistance is still in the spec, I believe.

FWIW, all my Type 2 connectors/cables now have buttons fitted, so they behave just like the Tesla connectors. It's a pretty easy mod, and makes the cables easier to use.

• Informative
Reactions: Sean. and Roy W.
Anyone on here have a Kia to test? Wonder if Superchargers are on “free vend” when they’re first set up as this is a new location

I have an e-golf (also a model 3 on order) but haven't even tried the super chargers, the normal chargers do lock in the charge cable normally, if you unlock the car the e-golf stops the charge and releases the lock, (yes very annoying if you have left something in your car and then want to get it back after the charge has started!)

Do you mean to open the charge port on the car by pressing a button or something else? If the former, I’d love to learn about that.

It will both open the charge port and unlatch the connector, the button is dual purpose, but the two functions are entirely separate. The charge port open control is via a 433MHz encoded RF signal sent from a small circuit inside the connector when the button is pressed. The car receives this and opens the charge port door. When the connector is plugged in, then the second function of the push button works to undo the connector latch, by changing the value of the resistance between the proximity pilot pin and earth, in a very similar way to the latch switch on the older J1772 connector.

You can make the bits needed easily enough, using a cheap 433MHz RF module, a double pole push button, a small microcontroller to send the right code to the car plus a couple of resistors for the PP switch part. Alternatively, you can buy kits to convert an existing connector, or buy a replacement connector that includes a moulded in button and module. The latter is easier to fit, and more weather resistant. I've fitted both options to different leads. The kits are available from here, amongst other places: Tesla Do It Yourself connector kit. - evChargeking

There's more on this thread from earlier this year: Button to open charge port

Out of interest, what feeds the RF chip? Is this fed by the mains? Will there be some battery that eventually runs out?

On the EV ChargeKing kits and ready-made leads, there is a small lithium coin cell battery, similar to that used in the key fob, that powers the transmitter. In all probability that battery will last for many years,depends on how often the button gets pressed. I've been using a fairly similar 433MHz push button remote to control lights in the house, and that gets used twice each evening, and the battery in that (pretty similar to the one in the connector button kit) is now around 5 years old, I think. At a guess, the battery might well last almost as long as it's nominal 10 year storage life, perhaps.