TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Norcal Bay Area Model 3 Tint/PPF Group Buy

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dailo, Aug 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. WaffleJL

WaffleJL Member

Is there anyone who is willing to share their experience there using the group buy?

2. sroh

sroh Member

I just make an appointment for Monday, August 20 (earliest available) for full front PPF and tint. I will report back.

3. bFlat

bFlat Member

Dropped my MX off in the Los Gatos location yesterday. All work is done is covered garages except for the washing and prep. Looked very well organized to me and saw a couple M3 being wrapped/tinted. Also glad to see their manufacturers certificates and certifications in plain view. My full wrap and coat should be done next week. Will report back then.

4. DUBM3

DUBM3 Member

I just made the appointment with Alex to drop off on 8/22, he said I am the tenth. I am looking forward to the see the result!

5. dailo

dailo Member

Was this review done by anyone here? Just wanted to see if there were any more pictures. Glad to know the shop does caliper painting and power coating, definitely nice to be able to do everything in one place. Tempted to get my calipers painted now.

Pari S.'s review of Wheel Xperts Clear Bra

6. aaahughjass

aaahughjass Member

Thanks for organizing this. I just scheduled an appointment for August 24th. Alex told me I was the 12th person for the group buy. Can't wait!

7. Mashsdaddy

Mashsdaddy New Member

I am in for Ceramic and Tint as well. Thanks for organizing.

8. Vines

Vines Member

I'll be ready to bite after I see some of the reports back regarding quality of work.

A couple of the yelp reviews had me worried.

9. hao3361

hao3361 Member

I scheduled full front ppf and tint on aug 25th

10. hao3361

hao3361 Member

And I am confused with additional incentives. Let’s say we have 20 people booked group buy. It claims “” is this for the existing people future service incentives or for the new people join group buy in he future

11. WaffleJL

WaffleJL Member

Just dropped off the M3 with Alex. Will report back when I get the car next week. There are couple of other teslas plus other cars there getting the treatment. My impression with Alex so far has been positive. I feel like he has lots of experience with Tesla. That makes me feel comfortable handing him my brand new ride. It's also great to know that he will park my car in a separated garage at night and not on the street.

12. dailo

dailo Member

You would call Alex after we hit 20 and he would honor the credit.

13. Vines

Vines Member

Awesome to hear that he is taking appropriate measures to make sure the car is well taken care of. I am holding my deposit until I see some work come out of his shop that is top quality. Whoever gets it done, lets see some pictures!

14. bFlat

bFlat Member

Just picked up my MX full wrap. Looks great with maybe a dozen or so small bubbles which should disappear over the next 2 weeks as the wrap sets. I will take my MX back then to get the Ceramic Pro applied and Alex will fix any remaining issues from the wrap. I honestly don't know how these guys do the full wrap LOL. Reminds me how hard it is to put a screen protector on my phone, but damn an entire car??? Pretty satisfied so far and feel I got a great deal.

Also, chrome actually looks great with matte metallic blue IMHO so feel much better about skipping the chrome delete.

Full disclosure - I've never wrapped or got PPF before so don't really have a frame of reference other than photos from other shops. I am pretty much an OCD type personality though and I am not feeling any anxiety at all. I'm sure if I took my MX to one of the high end shops they would point out dozens more imperfections, but I like what I see and all painted surfaces look covered except for the parking sensors which is by design and for safety.

IMG_1858.jpg

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  15. dailo

dailo Member

Looks great! The one thing to check is the corners, that is the hardest place to wrap. If they tucked the corners then it is less likely to come up, but if they cut right at the corner there is the potential for it to rise up over time.

16. bFlat

bFlat Member

Yep, Alex was checking all those areas himself so will take a closer look after curing. I forgot to mention the benefit of ceramic coating on top of vinyl. One might think it's not necessary, but ceramic means not ever needing wax. I figure if you start putting wax on vinyl, it will eventually bunch up on the lines and corners making those areas really noticeable.

17. dailo

dailo Member

I think we are close to getting to 20 cars, so the Ceramic Pro discount should kick in. Even though I haven't gotten my car yet, I better confirm my spot before he decides to raise the prices :) It does make cleaning the car a breeze, especially the wheels. Did Alex recommend getting the Ceramic Pro done later or were you waiting on the discount? Just curious as I would have thought that would have been done at the same time.

18. bFlat

bFlat Member

He is applying 2 weeks after wrap. This makes sense to me because if he needs to adjust or replace any of the wrap areas after curing, he would have to redo the ceramic coating too. I think this is just a logistical process that minimizes potential re-work. Good news is that the ceramic coat only takes a couple hours to apply.

19. Vines

Vines Member

I'd love to see some pictures of the corners as well, perhaps a closeup of the area where headlight meets fender meets hood

20. bFlat

bFlat Member

To be fair to Alex, I will post a couple close ups when the curing is done and he's had a chance to inspect/fix any remaining issues.

• Like x 1