Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal Bay Area Model 3 Tint/PPF Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgot to mention a funny thing. I wanted the full wrap for protection and chose matte just to be different from the gazillion Teslas in the Bay Area. Sure enough, on my way home after picking up my MX, I had a blue MS and a blue M3 in front of me waiting to get onto the freeway! It literally could have been a commercial for Tesla - maybe like the 3 bears. Too bad the MS was it the front of the line, would have been photo worthy if the order was M3, MS, MX LOL.

Thanks for posting your picture, bFlat. I dropped off my P3D with Alex this week and am anxious to see how it turns out. I got the works: full matte PPF, chrome delete, tint, and ceramic. Need to figure out what to do with my wheels next!

Just dropped off our baby with Alex at his Los Gatos shop. They are a busy shop! They had one Ferrari, one Porsche 911, a Jaguar SUV and about 6 Model 3s in the shop, in the driveway and on the street. He said the vast majority of cars coming in these days are Model 3s. I saw a MSM with white interior which looked nice.

A little disappointing that there was a mixup with drop off dates and his window tint guy is off today and tomorrow. So Alex is going to install the PPF today, but I won't be able to pick up until Thurs after his tint guy can get to it. Already dreading having to drive our ICE the next couple of days!

Just dropped off our baby with Alex at his Los Gatos shop. They are a busy shop! They had one Ferrari, one Porsche 911, a Jaguar SUV and about 6 Model 3s in the shop, in the driveway and on the street. He said the vast majority of cars coming in these days are Model 3s. I saw a MSM with white interior which looked nice.

A little disappointing that there was a mixup with drop off dates and his window tint guy is off today and tomorrow. So Alex is going to install the PPF today, but I won't be able to pick up until Thurs after his tint guy can get to it. Already dreading having to drive our ICE the next couple of days!

What tint are you going with and what percentages? I kind of want to do 35% all around as it looked good on my last car so the front and back don't look different.

I saw a MSM with white interior which looked nice.
That's mine! Should be ready by Friday.

A little disappointing that there was a mixup with drop off dates and his window tint guy is off today and tomorrow. So Alex is going to install the PPF today, but I won't be able to pick up until Thurs after his tint guy can get to it.
Yeah, I had a similar mixup but am pleased that the initial process [have to wait for ceramic of course] will have taken less than 10 days, as opposed to the months that many other shops are scheduling out right now.

I was scared away by a few horror stories about insurance, so I skipped my windshield. I've never done it on my past cars, so probably won't miss it.

Those same horror stories don't apply to the front side windows as well? Just curious. I didn't do the windshield on my X, but thinking about doing both the X and 3 because it does get pretty hot with the large glass up front.

That's mine! Should be ready by Friday.

It looks sweet @zfsnoob!

Are you also doing the windshield? Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

No, I've never done the windshield. Heat from windshield doesn't bother me when driving. And I use a windshield reflector when parked outside. I can't get past the risks of (1) water getting into the dash and frying the computer (some have complained about this although with as many Model 3s as this shop is doing, I would not be too concerned with this) and (2) potential for insurance to refute a claim due to there being illegal tint on the windshield.

I dropped by their San Jose location to check things out (specifically tint). There's at least three Model 3 there.

However, one thing that is misleading is they actually don't use "XR Prime Plus". Instead they only have "XR Black". According to the spec sheet, Black has lower TSER than Plus.

@70VLT - Plus(52% tser), Crystalline(50% tser), Black(49% tser)
Plus 45(58% tser), Crystalline 50(56% tser), Black 45(52% tser)

So on paper Plus is better than Crystalline, and Black is slightly behind Crystalline.

Update on my MX full wrap while the wrap is curing. Since I've never had wrap applied before thought I would share my experience for others that are doing this the first time.

Most of the smallest bubbles did go away after about 48 hours. However, I had several larger bubbles 2-3mm in diameter that didn't look those would get absorbed with curing. I contacted Alex and he suggested I stop by for a few minutes so he can have a look. Within 10 min Alex was able to use a small syringe to take care of the large bubbles. I'm still 8 days from full wrap curing but now I know any further bubbles that come up are easy fixes. Again, I'm not an expert here but the bubbles seem to show up in areas that have very tight curves so I have no idea how other shops can apply wrap perfectly without at least a few bubbles.

All that's left is ceramic coat after full Xpel wrap cure. I think all of you will be very satisfied with the quality of work.

Reactions: Owen_H
I just picked up the car from Alex. I did ceramic coating, Xpel prime plus tint on all windows except the windshield, and paint calipers. Overall I am happy with the work he did. He cleaned up all the swirl marks and blemish on my black paint. There's no bubble on the tint. I still have to wait for two weeks to see how coating cured.
One thing I would like to mention is his shop is very busy, there are at least 3 to 4 M3 + other cars there all the time. So if you want to bring the car there, be prepared that you might have to leave the car there longer than expected. In my case, he could not finish on time. But fortunately, Alex provided me a rental for free as I have sold my old car.

Here are some pics:
open

I just picked up the car from Alex. I did ceramic coating, Xpel prime plus tint on all windows except the windshield, and paint calipers. Overall I am happy with the work he did. He cleaned up all the swirl marks and blemish on my black paint. There's no bubble on the tint. I still have to wait for two weeks to see how coating cured.
One thing I would like to mention is his shop is very busy, there are at least 3 to 4 M3 + other cars there all the time. So if you want to bring the car there, be prepared that you might have to leave the car there longer than expected. In my case, he could not finish on time. But fortunately, Alex provided me a rental for free as I have sold my old car.

Here are some pics:
open

What percentages did you go with? Looks good.