Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not enough buyers for the LR Model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just don't be surprised if Tesla starts preparing for LR exports instead of releasing the SR because of the "new battery design" or some other excuse.
I'm fairly certain this will happen anyway, but not for some excuse like that. LR is simply available now and there are customers outside the US for them. Why not do it now?

Reactions: voip-ninja
Any article or speculation that the market is softening for the Model 3 in any variation is just total hype, to short the stock. The market in Canada has barely been opened, and over seas has not started yet! so please stop the FUD. SEEKING alpha is known to be total BS, has been for 8 years or so on TESLA.

I've noticed this from some news outlets as well. Business Insider is notorious for tesla loom and gloom its hilarious. Even when the article is about Tesla praise BI always find a way to instill doubt in the article.

Pure speculation on my part:

I have speculated (and posted) that the demand for a RWD (even LR) non-performance Model 3's has softened considerably.
I also suspect that Tesla has an inventory of such vehicles stored on lots around Fremont.
I have speculated that the AWD, performance Tesla has "sucked the wind" out of the the RWD, and that is why reservation holders that have not committed have received invites to purchase RWD, non-performance LR vehicles now for immediate delivery.

Finally, I suspect there are a large number of potential buyers that are waiting for the SR battery ...... cost being a major factor. They do not need AWD ..... and are not interested in performance. I find myself in that group.

If any of the above is true ....... then Tesla could solve the problem by reducing the price on the LR battery, and lowering the cost closer to the $35k vehicle that got so many of us interested in a Tesla in the first place.

The LR costs more than 40k to make according to all the teardown estimates. I think people often mistake the higher demand for AWD as a lower demand for RWD but there hasn't been any actual proof of that. The pictures of full lots get overblown, people seem to not think that cars need to be parked somewhere before being loaded on a truck for delivery. The most telling part of the lot pictures is that it is different cars/colors every time they post a picture, that says to me that the lots are just a middle ground for cars awaiting shipment.

It would be nice if it was a 35k car but it just isn't. I will actually be surprised if they get to 35k for the SR's without butchering the luxury of the vehicle. Cheap seats, trim, 16" wheels with hubcaps etc....

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
The LR costs more than 40k to make according to all the teardown estimates. I think people often mistake the higher demand for AWD as a lower demand for RWD but there hasn't been any actual proof of that. The pictures of full lots get overblown, people seem to not think that cars need to be parked somewhere before being loaded on a truck for delivery. The most telling part of the lot pictures is that it is different cars/colors every time they post a picture, that says to me that the lots are just a middle ground for cars awaiting shipment.

It would be nice if it was a 35k car but it just isn't. I will actually be surprised if they get to 35k for the SR's without butchering the luxury of the vehicle. Cheap seats, trim, 16" wheels with hubcaps etc....
49K * 30% gross margin = $34K not 40K. Also German tear down says 28K per 10K production

What proof?

It very well might be true but I don't like it when people make pronouncements like this without facts to back it up.

If Tesla is now able to consistently deliver an LR RWD in under 30 days I would say that's a decent indicator that they have caught up with demand... not so sure it's an indicator that they have an abundance of inventory as has been claimed over and over again with very little backing data other than drone photographs of parking lots full of Model 3s being staged for delivery to other markets.

People are getting calls literally the next day to schedule delivery of their RWD models.

Reactions: adaptabl
Tesla doesn't advertise. They are selling these many Model 3's without putting out TV & billboard ads. This compared to carmakers that spend millions on ads and yet still losing traction with their sales this year.

The more Model 3's are out there, the more people will want it. Demand won't be a problem. It's not as if LR demand is dropping without demand for other trims. Roughly 50% or more of the Model 3's being purchased are of Dual Motor variant (AWD/P). So if you read an article from an anti-Tesla place, they'll just tell you LR demand is going down....without mentioning that the Dual Motor demand has skyrocketed. That's "news" these days.

Tesla has demand levers they can pull...when they need to. Right now they don't need to.

I think you will actually see a spike in demand for the LR models as we head into the 4th quarter. If Tesla can deliver them by Dec 31. As the thousands of Model 3 hit the streets all over the US over the next few weeks, more people will see and discover the Model 3. When they find out that the tax credit decreases by $3500 Jan 1, it would be wise for Tesla to be able to offer a car to anyone who wants to take delivery of a Model 3. I bet Tesla could do "Delivery Events" like the one they had earlier this weekend all over the country, but make them open to non-reservation holders and unload hundreds of cars a weekend. The traditional dealers here who hold "sales events" at the mall here would drool for the kind of sales Tesla would have at a similar event.

Tesla delivers a few token SR Model 3s at the end of the first half of 2019. Deliveries of significance does not happen until back half of 2019.

There are plenty of LHD in countries other than the US that would gladly take that car.

SA is a joke for Tesla news. Tesla would have been dead 10000 times by time according to all their "facts".

Seeking Alpha is not a reliable source of information for Tesla.
The person who wrote this is a TSLA short, as evidenced in the photo below from that article. Almost every article I’ve ever read by them, especially the negative ones are written by shorts.

Attachments

• BCA774D1-A290-443A-8498-289B1109313B.jpeg
    BCA774D1-A290-443A-8498-289B1109313B.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: tracksyde
Some of you are ****ing hilarious - going on and on about how the M3 doesn't deserve to be made yet, shouldn't have certain materials. THE CAR WAS DESIGNED FOR THE 35K PRICE POINT. They had two different presentations on it

I'm tired of people shitting on the basic model - you seem too uppity, like it is *sugar* or something. The only reason Tesla isn't producing it now is because they want to be cash flow positive and not have to go to the markets - THAT'S IT.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't work there and make the decisions - the official website says 4-7 months depending on your reservation place etc....THEY'RE GOING TO ****ING MAKE THE CAR SOON.

So get off you high horse because if they relied on the market already, the SR would be out in public.

Reactions: DR61