Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not HPWC - Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NEMA 14-50. That's what most folks use if they don't have an HPWC. The next most popular choice is Clipper Creek. However, there would be a big gap in the number of installations between the second and third most popular.

NEMA 14-50. That's what most folks use if they don't have an HPWC. The next most popular choice is Clipper Creek. However, there would be a big gap in the number of installations between the second and third most popular.

I suspect the top next to UMC would be clipper creek. I think someone here uses Bosch as well. I recently was looking at the ChargePoint, but they only have 32A. Bummer.

I suspect the top next to UMC would be clipper creek. I think someone here uses Bosch as well. I recently was looking at the ChargePoint, but they only have 32A. Bummer.
My thought is that there are far more HPWC installations than Clipper Creek. I also have a CC, but it's for charging the Leaf so it doesn't count in this thread. My guess at the distribution would be 14-50 100, HPWC 80, CC 10, others 3.

I probably am the slowest one here:
Evercharge (Bosch) with Tesla connector (not HPWC, just the connector)
208/30

FWIW that is plenty to give me a 100% charge overnight, if I ever need it. So far I have not done so.

Dryer outlet for the Leaf, HPWC for one MS, tapped into a garage heater (240v/30a) for the other MS.
14-50 outlet with UMC - I decided to get an extra UMC (eBay, about $350) so I could keep one in the car and one in the garage... This is obviously not really a necessity, and I considered installing an HPWC, looked at juicebox, clipper creek etc, and decided the UMC would do what I wanted.

I probably am the slowest one here:
Evercharge (Bosch) with Tesla connector (not HPWC, just the connector)
208/30

FWIW that is plenty to give me a 100% charge overnight, if I ever need it. So far I have not done so.

eh, I am using a 16 AMP Clipper Creek.

Brand: Clipper Creek
Model: LCS 20P
PowerRating: 16A
Plugin Model or Direct Wired: plug in (L6-30)

Have extra J adapter using with it? Yep

The CC was leftover from my Volt. Didn't see any need to spend $$ changing it out when it works fine. Now that we have a second Tesla on the way, I am adding a new HPWC for the other car and going ahead and swapping out the clipper creek for a 2nd HPWC while we are at it.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I use a HPWC at home with a 50A circuit set to charge at 40 Amps... max 28-29 miles/hour. :cool:

At work I use a ChargePoint unit set to charge at 30A with my J1772 adapter ... max 18-19 miles/hour.
Miles per charge.PNG

Last edited:
Good information so far.

These are on my short list based upon what I see so far. With the mind set of a 2nd EV and not know what it'll be, either Model 3 or could be another brand. I had the electrician put in a NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 6-50 both on their own dedicated 50A just for flexibility a couple of years ago.

My initial choice was the HPWC, but they don't offer NEMA 14-50 plug version and I don't want to risk modifying it for that purpose.

Second on my list was the Charge Point. I like the simple ascetic design. But two things that puzzle me is they only use 6-50 NEMA and only offer up to 32A, they don't offer the 40A.

The last all else fail would be the typical Clipper Creek. Simple, no flare, and do offer both NEMA 14-50 and other plug types or hardwired.

The Leviton at one point was considered, but they seem to have abandon the NEMA plug and go with hardwired on their latest model.

Just a plain vanilla 14-50 hardwired in our garage. I usually dial the amperes down to 28-32, depending upon if I need more juice more quickly.

Did not purchase the HPWC, and I saw no need to. Plus the electrician said that the installation for the HPWC would be more $$.

If you are handy with electronic kits, the OpenEVSE products are perhaps an option. OpenEV Store - OpenEV Store Some savings in cost, and flexibility in terms of the power source and current delivered. I have their P50A, fitted with a short 14-50 cord to the wall outlet, and a J1772 connector on the output side, with an adapter for the car that I just leave on the end of the cable. 40 amp charging rate, and an LCD display on the unit to show what's going on. They also have a Wi-Fi adapter to link into the home network, but I haven't gone that route as yet.

The idea is to save the UMC for road trips. I can just leave it in the car (and so not forget it), and save wear on the 14-50 outlet, which tends to wear out with repeated connect/disconnect use. To be fair, I think the outlet that got installed is the wrong kind - intended for sticking in the wall behind the kitchen oven and plugged into only once. I now find out that there are other versions that are intended for cycling with an RV, and they're much more expensive. I think mine was under $10 for the outlet itself, vs something north of $60 for the RV style. Either way, by having an EVSE of some sort on the wall, and a separate mobile unit in the car, overall wear is minimized, and I'm less likely to be stuck somewhere with a broken UMC when I really need it. At least, that's the theory.

I leave my UMC plugged into the wall in the garage, since I never take my Roadster farther than I can go and return on a charge. The end that plugs into the car hangs on a hook on the wall when not plugged into the car. I'm not dedicated enough to spend hours charging at an RV park. So I never need to bring the UMC with me.

I leave my UMC plugged into the wall in the garage, since I never take my Roadster farther than I can go and return on a charge. The end that plugs into the car hangs on a hook on the wall when not plugged into the car. I'm not dedicated enough to spend hours charging at an RV park. So I never need to bring the UMC with me.
That's exactly what I used to do with my Roadster, but I much prefer driving it over my wife's SUV. So anywhere within a 180 miles or so with a destination charger is fair game for the Roadster. Mostly the destinations are J1772 or Tesla HPWC, but some (my brother's house, for example) require a working UMC. With the Roadster's UMC costing 3x what the MS/X unit costs, I prefer to treat mine a bit more like the rare bit of tech that it is. So the OpenEVSE goes on the wall, and the Roadster MC gets the bench seat, brought out only when needed.

But to this thread, the wear on the 14-50 wall outlet is universal, and anything being disconnected and moved regularly is going to break sooner than something hanging on a hook. MS/X owners who can make use of superchargers as well as the destination chargers may not use their UMCs during travel as much, but they're also a lot more likely to travel with their car, and it's best to have backup charging methods when doing so. That means disconnecting and taking the UMC.

If a 40 amp charge rate meets your needs, having that EVSE plugged into a 14-50 (vs hard-wired) gives some additional flexibility. Besides using the outlet on occasion for other things, it can simplify installation, for example, doing it in stages as funds permit. I used my mobile connector and dryer plug for 2 years before finally taking the plunge and upgrading the house's main panel to allow the 14-50 outlet. Then later I put the OpenEVSE together to complete the solution, simply plugging it into the now-existing 14-50.

Reactions: FlatSix911