Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not seeing Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI from Tesla HQ:

"Thank You for contacting Tesla Service Support! I apologize for any inconvenience this delayed response has caused.
I have just received feedback from our Diagnostics team, they stated that in order to have Sentry Mode active, Tesla has to have Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving installed on their car.

Sentry Mode requires EAP or FSD? Yikes.

Same issue with my LR RWD 3. I picked it up this passed Saturday with 3 miles on it. When I left the GPS stopped tracking and the map was glitching out like crazy. AP also wouldn’t calibrate. Service sent a firmware update to the car and all seems to be ok. No Sentry mode still and nobody ever mentioned that I had to pay for FSD to get it. ,my car was on 2019.7.102 when i picked it up and now it’s on 2019.7.105.

I will have a huge issue with needing to have FSD to get Sentry mode. That is not documented anywhere as part of the FSD upgrade.

Attachments

• B021B4EB-CFF3-4A68-B567-51B19B127C63.jpeg
    B021B4EB-CFF3-4A68-B567-51B19B127C63.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: TyH2009
FYI from Tesla HQ:

"Thank You for contacting Tesla Service Support! I apologize for any inconvenience this delayed response has caused.
I have just received feedback from our Diagnostics team, they stated that in order to have Sentry Mode active, Tesla has to have Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving installed on their car. That is the reason why we are not able to see Sentry Mode on your touchscreen. "

I used to have this on a previous firmware. Guess those of us taking newer deliveries with this different firmware branch are or if luck on the features.

First- that ain't Tesla HQ. That's a clueless level 1 support rep.

Second, speculation is folks with 2019.7.x have HW3 and they haven't enabled sentry mode for those cars yet.

it absolutely does not require AP, EAP, or FSD- the level 1 clueless person is wrong.

Here's the CEO of Tesla saying they're wrong-

Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk said:
Since it’s part of safety & security, all cars with AP2+ hardware will get it

Good to know. Have a SC appointment tomorrow. Will probe further... I'm guessing probably will have to wait for firmware update to fix..

I'm more bummed about the roof glass. It's way too tinted now. I loved my last model 3 roof; you could really enjoy the view. Now it's like looking through 10% tint.

KBT3 please report back what you hear at the SC. Also, if you get a chance, can you ask if there is an easy way to determine if we already have HW3? Thx.

SC confirms that vehicles with HW3 (the 2019.7.105 firmware) do not currently have Sentry mode. This is a known issue and they are working on a firmware update. Something to do with the new Chip. Probably going to be a few weeks for the fix to roll out.

Same issue with my LR RWD 3. I picked it up this passed Saturday with 3 miles on it. When I left the GPS stopped tracking and the map was glitching out like crazy. AP also wouldn’t calibrate. Service sent a firmware update to the car and all seems to be ok. No Sentry mode still and nobody ever mentioned that I had to pay for FSD to get it. ,my car was on 2019.7.102 when i picked it up and now it’s on 2019.7.105.

I will have a huge issue with needing to have FSD to get Sentry mode. That is not documented anywhere as part of the FSD upgrade.
Same exact thing happened to me, GPS stopped, was glitching, and AP wouldn't calibrate.

Service re-sent 2019.7.102 (before .105 came out) and I reinstalled and it all now works perfectly.

Reactions: Raphymartinez
I'm in the same boat. I took deliver on Friday 4/26 (in Charlotte, NC) and I have 7.105.

• Dashcam works perfectly fine
  • No sentry mode
  • NOA works great but still requires confirmation (via turn signal) to initiate lane changes
I'm really hoping for an update soon to enable both sentry mode and the latest NOA. However, the car has been an absolute JOY to drive. It will only get better from here.

I'm in the same boat. Took delivery on 4/18/19. Opened a service request (which is tomorrow at 8am). They contacted me a day after opening it, and pushed 2019.7.105. I asked them why unconfirmed lane change and sentry mode was still missing, and they went silent. Won't respond to text messages or left voice mails. My Navigate on AP also has annoyances that are fixed in 2019.8 (hard braking in lane changes, aborted lane changes, drift to left on lane merge, etc).

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the car. Just would like to get up to date. Before reading this thread, I had suspected it was because of HW3.

Since I live near the Tesla factory, my appointment is at the service center that's just south of the factory. Hopefully I'll get some real answers tomorrow morning.

I'm in the same boat. Took delivery on 4/18/19. Opened a service request (which is tomorrow at 8am). They contacted me a day after opening it, and pushed 2019.7.105. I asked them why unconfirmed lane change and sentry mode was still missing, and they went silent. Won't respond to text messages or left voice mails. My Navigate on AP also has annoyances that are fixed in 2019.8 (hard braking in lane changes, aborted lane changes, drift to left on lane merge, etc).

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the car. Just would like to get up to date. Before reading this thread, I had suspected it was because of HW3.

Since I live near the Tesla factory, my appointment is at the service center that's just south of the factory. Hopefully I'll get some real answers tomorrow morning.
Keep us posted please! I'm experiencing a lot of what you mentioned but also echo your comments on loving the car.

I'm having a blast! But at the same time I'm eager to see the benefits of the most recent releases as well (especially Sentry Mode and no confirmation on NOA).

It is because of HW3. At this point, none of the newer firmware is compatible with the HW3 computer, but I would expect that to change very soon. The features you’re missing are missing on all of the HW3 cars at this point.

Cancel your appointment and be patient, it will be worth it.

As expected, it is because I have HW3. The service rep said they updated my autopilot, just the user interface still shows the old version. My AP behavior is still the same as 2019.7, so I don't think they even did that.

I will have to wait :)

I did get a free car wash though :)