Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Sure FSD Is A Good Value @ $15k. Ordered My Model Y In SEP2022 (Est. Del. Date DEC2022).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I ordered my Model Y on 09/20/2022 and selected FSD (for $15k). I am starting to rethink my FSD choice, as I am unsure that it is a good value @ $15k. I have been vigorously watching many of the FSD videos put out by YouTubers, and while, unquestionably, FSD has gotten markedly better in 2022 alone, it still seems obvious that TESLA EV’s will not see the removal of the steering wheel and pedals anytime soon, nor will any of us be making back our FSD “invested bucks“ from the TESLA robo-taxi implementation anytime soon. FSD continues to struggle with road construction signage and direction/orientation amidst cone placement. That said, unless we begin to see more standardization amongst road construction project crews nationwide, then I cannot see how FSD can fully “go live” and rid us of our steering wheels and pedals.

Any thoughts and/or advice on whether or not I should “opt in” to FSD @ $15k??????

Any thoughts and/or advice on whether or not I should “opt in” to FSD @ $15k??????

How about this 149 post thread on this basic topic, in the subforum on TMC that is dedicated to FSD discussion?

So, I ordered my Model Y on 09/20/2022 and selected FSD (for $15k). I am starting to rethink my FSD choice, as I am unsure that it is a good value @ $15k. I have been vigorously watching many of the FSD videos put out by YouTubers, and while, unquestionably, FSD has gotten markedly better in 2022 alone, it still seems obvious that TESLA EV’s will not see the removal of the steering wheel and pedals anytime soon, nor will any of us be making back our FSD “invested bucks“ from the TESLA robo-taxi implementation anytime soon. FSD continues to struggle with road construction signage and direction/orientation amidst cone placement. That said, unless we begin to see more standardization amongst road construction project crews nationwide, then I cannot see how FSD can fully “go live” and rid us of our steering wheels and pedals.

Not sure if it’s a good value at $15K?

You must be joking. Unless you are a true believer in flying robotaxis that make your vehicle worth a million dollars, it is not a remotely good value. As someone who once paid $4K for FSD, it wasn’t worth it then (and yes I have tried in its current iteration as well)

If you REALLY feel you need it and have money to burn, go with the $199/month subscription. It will take you more than 6 years to pay the full $15K and I guarantee you won’t have the car that long.

...FSD has gotten markedly better in 2022 alone...
2014 Autopilot 1 could get into accidents. 2022 FSD and FSD beta can still collide. The nanny system to chastise drivers has been stricter and stricter.

If it gets better, the nagging system will be less and less to the point of none as there won't be a need for a licensed driver at the wheel.
...cannot see how FSD can fully “go live” and rid us of our steering wheels and pedals...
Correct. MobilEye says the same. The vision system can be a very good ADAS (level 2) but it cannot go beyond that. It uses additional sensors such as 4-d radar, lidar, sonars for level 3 and above.
It is not worth any price for a layperson.

It is valuable for those who want to be a test pilot to try out new software to see whether they'll get tickets for driving recklessly.

2014 Autopilot 1 could get into accidents. 2022 FSD and FSD beta can still collide. The nanny system to chastise drivers has been stricter and stricter.

If it gets better, the nagging system will be less and less to the point of none as there won't be a need for a licensed driver at the wheel.

Correct. MobilEye says the same. The vision system can be a very good ADAS (level 2) but it cannot go beyond that. It uses additional sensors such as 4-d radar, lidar, sonars for level 3 and above.

It is not worth any price for a layperson.

It is valuable for those who want to be a test pilot to try out new software to see whether they'll get tickets for driving recklessly.
I am in agreement with Elon about the need for a system that uses stereoscopic video only (ideally speaking). LiDAR is expensive and unnecessary. Not sure what 4D radar is, but I agree with Elon on not needing radar or ultrasonic sensors either. Simply put, there is not another system out there that can surpass FSD, including MobilEye and especially not Waymo.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird and glide
I think you can be certain it's not. I might be willing to try it as a paid beta tester, but pay Tesla for the privilege?, surely you jest.

Granted I only have experience of the included AP so far, but trying to use it is nerve-wracking (eg as it careens the car into wheel-screeching high speed turns on tight highway exit ramps) I can't imagine the tension that monitoring the current evolutionary stages of FSD from any manufacturer might induce. One would hope that the vision system would recognize the significance of a sea of red tail lights lit up ahead and slow down rather than wait until it's within the prescribed number of car lengths to stomp on the brakes-- several times on the Mass Pike yesterday I needed brake heavily (and have all the alarm buzzers got off) after waiting for the TACC to do something about the stopped cars that were obviously ahead. (I did find that it worked very well most of the time, but now know you have to treat it a lot like old fashioned cruise control and turn it off or hit the brakes when approaching a sudden stoppage.)

Reactions: Zalick and bobbyjae
Not sure if it’s a good value at $15K?

You must be joking. Unless you are a true believer in flying robotaxis that make your vehicle worth a million dollars, it is not a remotely good value. As someone who once paid $4K for FSD, it wasn’t worth it then (and yes I have tried in its current iteration as well)

If you REALLY feel you need it and have money to burn, go with the $199/month subscription. It will take you more than 6 years to pay the full $15K and I guarantee you won’t have the car that long.
That’s IF you ever get the update with FSD. I’ve waited months, paid my $199 and still can only use EAP. TESLA says they are rolling it out to safety scores as low as 80. I think my 99 should trump someone with an 80.

Reactions: pilotSteve
That’s IF you ever get the update with FSD. I’ve waited months, paid my $199 and still can only use EAP. TESLA says they are rolling it out to safety scores as low as 80. I think my 99 should trump someone with an 80.
I subscribed in November and only had to wait a few weeks for the beta? If you're running the most current software version that might be your issue. The most current software version with the beta is 2022.20.18; I've read that Tesla is hesitant to roll vehicles back to older versions so if you're on one newer than that it may prevent you from getting the beta.

I subscribed in November and only had to wait a few weeks for the beta? If you're running the most current software version that might be your issue. The most current software version with the beta is 2022.20.18; I've read that Tesla is hesitant to roll vehicles back to older versions so if you're on one newer than that it may prevent you from getting the beta.

I saw that too and my 3 is updated with 22.28.2. But I also read that the new FSD update 10.69.3 was built around the latest update. Kinda shitty to push a software update without warning that it will make one ineligible for the FSD he has been anticipating for months. Kinda counterintuitive to me

I was riding in my friend's '20 MYLR that has FSD last week. I think because he's on an older software version on the FSD branch, the car didn't yet have things like re-position-able blind spot camera from 2022.24. Something like this would drive me up a wall if/when a feature I really wanted was not available to me until much later because I was on the FSD branch.

As for FSD being worth $15k? I think it's worth that only if:

1. You're rich.
2. You love beta testing new tech to the point where you'd be happy to pay for that privilege instead of getting paid for it.

Neither is true for me so FSD is an easy pass. Besides, I really like driving the MYP so I have no real interest in having it drive itself anyway.

Also, robo-taxi isn't something I'm remotely interested in. Even if my car could do level 5 driving perfectly, I would never rent it out as a taxi. It's an absurd notion to me to allow hundreds of strangers to ride in my car unsupervised.

I am in agreement with Elon about the need for a system that uses stereoscopic video only (ideally speaking). LiDAR is expensive and unnecessary.

Not sure what 4D radar is
Major Autonomous Vehicles companies have been switching to 4-radar for a few years. Conventional radar is one-dimensional, so it might be problematic with phantom brakes and collisions with a stationary obstacle.

What is 4D radar?

...but I agree with Elon on not needing radar or ultrasonic sensors either. Simply put, there is not another system out there that can surpass FSD, including MobilEye and especially not Waymo.

FSD beta demo is just like Tesla robot's one (Tesla vs Boston Dynamics).

FSD beta It gets the speed wrong sometimes (and phantom brakes), runs through stop signs sometimes, and obstacles sometimes...

That is not the case with Waymo.

It sounds like you have answered for yourself. FSD is a very good fit for you.

I looked at it this way. At $15K FSD costs almost as much as a new HV battery.
No thanks, I'll pass. I would be more likely to replace the HV battery at 300K miles. Honestly by then I'll want something else, probably on my second new car by then.

Worst $10K I ever spent in 7-2021. I've finally gotten to try it, and it doesn't work any better than the cruise control that scares my wife to death when it brakes for no reason; and the software that brakes violently and beeps loudly when a car turns across my lane WAY ahead, causing no possible danger to me.

• Informative
Reactions: THEbuz and bobbyjae