Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy again FSD today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

StephanB

The usual suspect
Oct 28, 2019
NC
I'm getting ready to sell my Model 3 Performance w/ FSD (beta, even). I took delivery in late 2020. I paid 6k for FSD.

My current order is due probably November. I'm not so sure if I'll spend $12k on what I've been driving with for almost this entire calendar year. It's just not worth it. I end up almost never using city driving. For now I just selected EAP because I could never imagine driving long distances without it. But I'm not seeing the use case for city driving (anymore).

Would you buy it today if you'd only have the car for 2 or 3 years?

No that's worse than buying FB shares and selling them 2 days after you bought them. Not worth it at all. If you're gonna buy FSD or EAP for 6 or 12k and sell the car in 2 years the value of the car isn't going to increase by much. Plus basic TACC is enough for most-if not all of the needs of an average driver. All you're gonna need to do is turn manually and it'll take care of the rest. Not bad for something that doesn't cost 12k extra if ya ask me

...Would you buy it today if you'd only have the car for 2 or 3 years?...
No!

It's made for those who are born beta testers, but now there's a cheaper subscription option, so paying upfront does not make sense.

I paid upfront because there was no subscription at that time, but I seldom use all the features:

I only used summons a few times to see how bad it was, and I haven't been using it for years.

Auto Park doesn't work most of the time, and if I use it, I get honked by others because it's too slow. Another feature that I don't use for years.

I tried Navigation on Autopilot a few times to see how bad it was, and I've turned it off for years.

I tried FSD beta a few times and turned it off for months.

Thus, the features that I have been using are lane-keeping and cruise! I've learned my lesson. I am not paying FSD no matter how cheap it is.

I wouldn’t buy FSD at its current price. When I bought it, the software was cheap enough to be a novelty. Almost a year into the beta and it’s completely useless though I did get my novelty value.

If I were ordering another Tesla it would just be the freebie autopilot or EAP. My ideal package would be basic AP with lane changes. Everything else is borderline useless and looks to be that way for quite some time.

Y'all are echoing many of my thoughts and concerns. The only reason I'm even thinking of selling my car is because I can get $50k for it, I'm 2k miles from running out of basic warranty, and an equivalent new car w/ FSD would be the same monthly payment for me.

Honest question: all things considered, would you buy a new one in my situation?

Oh, and I don't even like the new uberturbine wheels! 😂

Last edited:
Y'all are echoing many of my thoughts and concerns. The only reason I'm even thinking of selling my car is because I can get $50k for it, I'm 2k miles from running out of basic warranty, and an equivalent new car w/ FSD would be the same monthly payment for me.

Honest question: all things considered, would you buy a new one in my situation?
If you really want a new Tesla listen to me, DON'T trade in. Just sell it to third party vendors, use that money and pay for another tesla perhaps a model y. Note that there is a max limit to down payment though. Put the maximum amount of the 50k that you can into downpayment and use the rest of the money to subscribe to FSD

Screenshot 2022-08-04 172039.png

This is the amount of EMI you're expecting to pay with a Tesla model y with EAP, white exterior paint, standard gemini wheels and a white interior.

View attachment 836844
This is the amount of EMI you're expecting to pay with a Tesla model y with EAP, white exterior paint, standard gemini wheels and a white interior.
I should have mentioned that while I can get 50k for my car, I still owe 25k. So only half would be available for the down-payment.

I guess what I really need to figure out is if I need to get rid of my car before the warranty expires just because I can, penalty free (meaning my monthly payment etc will stay the same).

I'd still need to spend more money on tinting, ppf and accessories. Arg 😔

Oh, AND I just spent $1,600 on new tires for wheels I actually like, compared to those ridic turbines.

1659659561619.png

If you're willing to do a lease it's also pretty cheap you need to only put the 16.2k for downpayment and the rest of the money you can use to cover the FSD. The rest of the money will approximately cover the cost of an fsd subscription for 44 months, by which time your lease will end :)

Reactions: StephanB
One thing though, if you lease, and this is only for teslas, you will have to return the car after 3 years and have no option for buying the car at a subsidized price after your lease time ends
Yeah that's still weird. I know this allows Tesla to keep all the leases on their balance sheet as assets, but why in the world would they want that? 🤷‍♂️

If I had only EAP, I would wish I had city streets FSD.
And I've been thinking about that too. I think I'll just keep my car and cancel my order. My car has everything I need, including FSD (even beta!).

If I get a new car, the payment would stay the same, but I'd roughly still have to spend:
$2400 in sales tax
2k for PPF
$600 - 800 for tint (going off memory)
Increased annual property taxes
Increased insurance
Considering replacing turbines (2k?),
Plus I'd be giving away 4 brand new $1600 tires to carvana that im not getting credit for.

Reactions: X-pilot