Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not the message I was expecting to pop on the screen...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone seen this one yet?

20121201_064034_HDR.jpg

I just posted this on the other thread ...

EDIT: FWIW ... I decided to jump in put the car in drive just to see what would happen ....

All the warnings disappeared.

EDIT 2: My service guy just called me back and said this is a known issue that is supposed to be corrected in the upcoming firmware release and can be ignored.

Last edited:

I just posted this on the other thread ...

EDIT: FWIW ... I decided to jump in put the car in drive just to see what would happen ....

All the warnings disappeared.

EDIT 2: My service guy just called me back and said this is a known issue that is supposed to be corrected in the upcoming firmware release and can be ignored.

I have seen it a few times, although my message appears in the instrument panel and not the touchscreen. My service advisor told me the same thing so I am just waiting for the next update.

120112servicemessage1.jpg

I saw the same thing.... same experience. Thought it meant I was going to get a firmware upgrade, but didn't see any subsequent indication that there was one waiting... Not sure what version I was running before, but as of now I'm at 1.15.14...

Guess it could be read to mean that an update is ready, visit service center for installation. I can see why they would want to pull that "warning" message!

Showed up on both displays for me this morning.

I also received the "Car needs service" message this morning, which went away when I powered it on. But I also had a "Charge cable connected" error, with the yellow warning triangle, which was true but didn't make any sense, unless maybe the car thought I was trying to drive it with the cable connected. It also went away.

@zap and others

Take a look at v1.15.14:
Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

My working theory is that something in update v1.15.14 triggered a sequence of tests and that those tests "misbehave" when the car is not in gear (for whatever reason). Perhaps part of that test tries to cycle through the gears and when it can't (for whatever reason) it pops the error and, furthermore, when the charging cable is attached the attempt to put the car in gear triggers the additional error message.

Just a guess but seems plausible given the symptoms.

@zap and others

Take a look at v1.15.14:
Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

My working theory is that something in update v1.15.14 triggered a sequence of tests and that those tests "misbehave" when the car is not in gear (for whatever reason). Perhaps part of that test tries to cycle through the gears and when it can't (for whatever reason) it pops the error and, furthermore, when the charging cable is attached the attempt to put the car in gear triggers the additional error message.

Just a guess but seems plausible given the symptoms.

Aha. My car DID silently update to 1.15.14. I think your theory might be sound. Maybe it's a "pre-update" needed before the big one that's coming.

"Car Needs Service - Power Reduced" message

This morning my S was showing a warning message on the charging display that read:

"Car Needs Service - Power Reduced" with a yellow warning icon.

After a few conversations with my service rep in Dallas he says that his factory contact says that it is a one-time message resulting from a software update last nite. No service required.

Didn't see any error message when i went out this morning ...however, the display seemed a bit sluggish - on the homelink and driver preference. In both cases it didn't put up the full menu right away. So I rebooted the main screen as i was leaving the neighborhood, and once it booted the menus displayed as fast as usual.

When i got home i was fiddling a bit and saw the "power connected" warning in the insturment console and a red (1) icon at the top of the main display.

I noticed driving home that the "mute" feature of the right hand wheel roller wasn't working - up/down is volume but a press was "mute" yesterday and doesn't seem to work today. I don't know if this is a regression or a by-design. Hopefully the v4.0 update will bring it back. (I would also like to see the volume control on the main screen "mute" when touched in the center).