Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not what I expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

REDI KW

Supporting Member
Sep 2, 2016
San Diego CA
My 2016.5 S60 RWD has always range charged to 218 miles. Sunday, I paid to unlock the 75 battery capacity and range charged it for a trip. That night it charged (at home) to 242 miles and yesterday it supercharged to 242 from 20%.
Since Tesla's sales page shows 264 miles for a S75 RWD, my $7K for 24 miles doesn't make any cents. Am I missing something (other than 7K)?
I wonder if anyone has gotten Tesla to revert an owners car back to prior configuration and refund the sale?

Since Tesla's sales page shows 264 miles for a S75 RWD,
No it doesn't. I pulled up the ordering page just now and I'm looking at it, and it shows 249 miles, not 264 miles. The 75D shows 259. I have no idea where you got that 264 number. The original S85 rear wheel drive only got 265 miles.

So, with correct numbers, the 75 is originally supposed to be 249, and you said yours gets 242. That is totally normal. Every Tesla car shows somewhere around 5-10 miles low within the first 6 months or so (mainly due to measurement inaccuracy) and stays pretty steady there for at least a few years.

I see the same numbers on the 75 configuration screen -- 249 miles.

I don't know if it will make a difference, but I have always thought that one DIS-advantage to the software-limited battery is that it never gets a balancing charge, since it really doesn't charge to a high enough SOC to do so. It might be possible that your range will go up a bit after a few range charges -- no real data, though.

It's all just a calculation, anyway, not a real reading of battery capacity.

My S60D started out with 221 miles per charge. 7 months later it is consistently at 212 miles per charge. The 75 upgrade is so not worth it. Too bad you upgraded. I doubt Tesla gives refunds on the upgrades but it's worth a shot.

I'm starting to feel like the 75kWh pack is a bit of a debacle. Whether you got in at 60, 70, or 75, it seems like there's way more variance in how many rated miles these cars get versus other Teslas, more so than just the ~5% average degradation curve.

[QUOTE=" I have no idea where you got that 264 number[/QUOTE]
I went to tesla.com, chose Model S and scrolled down to "Range Per Charge". MS 75 = 265 miles. Since the MS 60 that is listed is within 1 mile of what mine charged to, I expected the 75 to be within reason.

The MS 75 = 265 miles of estimated range is *only* for a speed of 65 MPH. Set the speed to 70 MPH and you will see 241 miles, which is the default speed that Tesla commonly uses. At 45 MPH the estimated range is 393 miles so your range is actually far higher than your complaint would indicate (I think that the Tesla range peaks at about 25 MPH ;))

PS: And here is the link: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/model-s-efficiency-and-range

[QUOTE=" I have no idea where you got that 264 number
I went to tesla.com, chose Model S and scrolled down to "Range Per Charge". MS 75 = 265 miles. Since the MS 60 that is listed is within 1 mile of what mine charged to, I expected the 75 to be within reason.[/QUOTE]
Oh, that's just the range estimator tool of what you may get under various conditions. There are some default settings that are there when the web page loads. That's not the EPA rated range, which is what shows on your dashboard when you charge it.

No it doesn't. I pulled up the ordering page just now and I'm looking at it, and it shows 249 miles, not 264 miles. The 75D shows 259. I have no idea where you got that 264 number. The original S85 rear wheel drive only got 265 miles.

So, with correct numbers, the 75 is originally supposed to be 249, and you said yours gets 242. That is totally normal. Every Tesla car shows somewhere around 5-10 miles low within the first 6 months or so (mainly due to measurement inaccuracy) and stays pretty steady there for at least a few years.

I show 251 out of my original 253 miles when range charged on my P85D with 37K miles. I'd be pissed if my brand new tesla was showing 7 miles less than what I paid.

I went to tesla.com, chose Model S and scrolled down to "Range Per Charge". MS 75 = 265 miles. Since the MS 60 that is listed is within 1 mile of what mine charged to, I expected the 75 to be within reason.

That's not the EPA rated range you see when you charge. You can get 300+ if you're willing to drive 45 MPH but that's not what your rated range charge will show.

Change your indicator to "ideal" if you want to see a higher number than your rated range ;)

The upgrade is so not worth it unless there's a regular route you take where you have to have those extra few miles.

If not, then you already get the benefits of the larger battery without upgrading such as increased power, and the maximum range you can safely get every day without charging to 100%.

i.e. with the software limit, you can safely charge to 100% every day which is really only 85% of the 75 battery but after you upgrade, you should still only charge up to 85% max every day(was previously 100% when you were software limited).

I agree. I think whether the upgrade to a 75 makes sense depends heavily on your daily usage and justifying convenience and your level of range anxiety. We debated about what battery to chose when we were finalizing our order. For us the extra mileage difference between the two models equated to generally an extra local round-trip to a store on that daily charge, so for us we felt it was worth the 75D pricing.

I will say that hubby was really tempted to bite the bullet and go with the 90D (first time Tesla owner and sure range anxiety played into that) but the price jump between that bump was harder to justify in our case. For the vast majority of the time we'll be using the car, it will be local. Might have been a different choice if we drove more long-distance. In our area with the 75D, the extra range can be like reaching another city or two for dinner or shopping. So while the upgrade to a 75 might not make sense for some, it can be worth it for others. Don't think anyone should feel they wasted their money if it works out for them. Also worth mentioning that people's lives change, they move, take different jobs, etc. so I think it's great that at least MS 60 owners have that option to make the jump at some point if their situation warrants it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
OK, so it appears Tesla's site has different numbers scattered through out and the only one to trust is the lowest. What about evtripplanner.com? Before I decided to upgrade, I setup a test trip of 2k miles and compared charge times between the 60 & 75. The 75 required nearly 3 hours less charge time with the same amount shaved off the total trip. Does this tool use accurate numbers for each Model S? If so, I still feel the purchase was justified and can chalk up Tesla's confusing page as more advertising misdirection.:cool:
Thanks to everyone for helping me better understand this awesome car!

OK, so it appears Tesla's site has different numbers scattered through out and the only one to trust is the lowest. What about evtripplanner.com? Before I decided to upgrade, I setup a test trip of 2k miles and compared charge times between the 60 & 75. The 75 required nearly 3 hours less charge time with the same amount shaved off the total trip. Does this tool use accurate numbers for each Model S? If so, I still feel the purchase was justified and can chalk up Tesla's confusing page as more advertising misdirection.:cool:
Thanks to everyone for helping me better understand this awesome car!

The "60" that you are using on EVTripPlanner is the original true 60, not the software-locked 75

The charging times for the new 60 vs the 70 are basically going to be identical, because the charging curve is not changed by the software lock.

But indeed, you are pointing out a hidden benefit of the larger battery models: They both might get you there, but the lower the percentage of the battery you charge, the faster the charging curve at superchargers. I am projecting that my 70D -> 100D upgrade will shave 1 hour off my 3-3:30 charge time for my Vegas road trips.