Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now that FSD is gone...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
those of us who paid for it in advance.. do we get our money back?
I believe they took "Full Self Driving" off the options list as it was further out than they originally anticipated, and they didn't want to have to keep explaining that to those who paid for it up front.

But I do expect that Tesla is still pushing forward with FSD capabilities for current cars. When it is ready, Musk already stated that those who paid for FSD up front will get the necessary hardware upgrade at no additional charge. Apparently it is going to need a new, more powerful CPU.

Electrek article: Tesla deploys massive new Autopilot neural net in v9, impressive new capabilities, report says
Musk's Tweet that those with FSD will get the new chip when available: G C on Twitter

I expect the software will be delivered like all other software updates, but only to those who already bought FSD (or add it).

Reactions: jajabor
And it's been working on:

upload_2018-12-9_14-38-48-png.359583

It's a matter of how "soon" is "soon"!

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I believe they took "Full Self Driving" off the options list as it was further out than they originally anticipated, and they didn't want to have to keep explaining that to those who paid for it up front.

But I do expect that Tesla is still pushing forward with FSD capabilities for current cars. When it is ready, Musk already stated that those who paid for FSD up front will get the necessary hardware upgrade at no additional charge. Apparently it is going to need a new, more powerful CPU.

Electrek article: Tesla deploys massive new Autopilot neural net in v9, impressive new capabilities, report says
Musk's Tweet that those with FSD will get the new chip when available: G C on Twitter

I expect the software will be delivered like all other software updates, but only to those who already bought FSD (or add it).

If the need for a hardware upgrade is correct, I wonder how long that before that is available. Because giving you the software without the hardware to provide the data and computational power to make it work is just a tease. And arguably worse than not giving you the software in the first place.

My guess is that Tesla is going to do the hardware swaps slowly in waves before software roll-out. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair. From what I've read, they are done with the development and are looking to fabricate it en masse. Q3 2019 done with fab, Q4 swap outs, Q1 2010 software release. That's me the optimist :)

My guess is that Tesla is going to do the hardware swaps slowly in waves before software roll-out. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair. From what I've read, they are done with the development and are looking to fabricate it en masse. Q3 2019 done with fab, Q4 swap outs, Q1 2010 software release. That's me the optimist :)

Sounds good, but since my lease comes up in 2011 I am really glad I did not order this option. The sales person pushed and told me it was just a matter of paperwork and would be ready by fall of 2018. But :oops:

Reactions: pilotSteve
Because of the impending HW3 upgrade and with the large number of vehicles they're now building, it makes sense that they didn't want to sell more vehicles with FSD that would get the free HW3 processor upgrade.

When they start releasing features that will only work on FSD vehicles, it's likely Tesla will add the FSD option back for new vehicles and offer a higher priced upgrade for vehicles purchased during the period when FSD wasn't available as an "at delivery" option.

Until they actually have software that goes beyond EAP, it really didn't make a lot of sense for Tesla to be pushing FSD.

EAP will likely be limited to NOAP (Navigate On AutoPilot) only on limited access highways - and anything beyond that will require FSD - and probably the new processor - in order to handle the more complex object recognition and rules to drive safely in other situations.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
If the need for a hardware upgrade is correct, I wonder how long that before that is available. Because giving you the software without the hardware to provide the data and computational power to make it work is just a tease. And arguably worse than not giving you the software in the first place.
Musk's tweet said the new processor would be available in new cars in roughly 6 months. He said that in October. And he's on Elon-time, so I'd guess that it will be rolled into the cars this fall (Elon time x 2=12 months). Anything sooner than that is a bonus.

I expect they will prioritize getting the chip upgrade into cars for those who pre-paid for FSD shortly after it goes into main production, though it would be awesome if we got it sooner, even in some kind of beta program. A processor upgrade should be a simple swap at the service center. They will likely even offer to do it at your home or work like they do with some other service options.

I can tell you that the Brooklyn Tesla Service Center (the main shop servicing NYC) is already completely overwhelmed in volume and service is suffering because of it. So if they can come to my house and swap out the CPU, that would be much better for me.

I have a feeling they won’t be able to do all the standard autopilot features that are yet to roll out on current hardware chip. So my guess is a reduced cost for current owners to upgrade chips or maybe no cost (regardless of FSD purchase).

No, we already know the HW3 NN is just a revision of the HW2 NN to run on HW3 with the same constraints, so essentially they just lifted and shifted from the old to the new. Somewhere though a much much bigger NN exists that we have just caught glimpses of so far.

I also have a video of them doing that!

Can already do stop signs and traffic lights, not sure about roundabouts. And the video is over two years old...
No! At the time this video was made (late 2016), they did not have the capability. This was a staged route/scenario. Tesla admitted.

This video was what got me into buying a Tesla instead of a Porsche at the time. I'm glad that I bought the Tesla, but the video was misleading.

No, we already know the HW3 NN is just a revision of the HW2 NN to run on HW3 with the same constraints, so essentially they just lifted and shifted from the old to the new. Somewhere though a much much bigger NN exists that we have just caught glimpses of so far.

Yep. Andrej stated he has larger NNs trained but needs the upgrade s hardware. Knowing that and knowing EAP still isn’t even close to where EAP finished software will be in the years to come, this means they will need new hardware to meet EAP as well as FSD. As a purchaser if EAP I won’t be surprised if new hardware is required and offered at a discount.

Yep. Andrej stated he has larger NNs trained but needs the upgrade s hardware. Knowing that and knowing EAP still isn’t even close to where EAP finished software will be in the years to come, this means they will need new hardware to meet EAP as well as FSD. As a purchaser if EAP I won’t be surprised if new hardware is required and offered at a discount.

I hope your right, but I think the best we get is HW3 if you pre-purchased FSD, everything else we'll need to litigate for and get pennies on the dollar as the lawyers get rich.

If 3 years ago Keller/Bannon started HW3 with 5~20x better performance than HW2, we definitely should expect another 5~20x from HW4. Not sure how they will pitch that, but how about HW3 to achieve FSD no more than 35mph and HW4 FSD <65mph, and free FSD upgrade stops at HW3.

Tesla removed FSD from the order page to reduce confusion but all it did was create confusion of another kind.

This really needs to be a sticky:

FSD is not "gone." It's just not on the online order page. It's available to order with a phone call. Nothing else has changed. The development roadmap hasn't been altered. It's still in progress, with all the uncertainty and speculation that encompassed FSD before.