Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nuclear power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all seriousness I hope they do finish the plant... then they can finish the 4 unit plant in Hartsville,TN

tumblr_oshxck1gcr1wsa3e3o1_1280.jpg

Then when that's done they can finish the 2 units in Satsop...

Satsop-aerial-3.jpg

And then they can finish Columbia units 1 & 4...

500px-WNP-1_-4.jpg

And the two units at Marble hill... $2.5B spent... 0kWh generated...

1920px-MHinspring2007.JPG

3 Units at the Cherokee Nuclear power plant. $6B spent... at least James Cameron got some use out of it for 'The Abyss'; Proof that SC is literally insane since they made the same mistake ~30 years later and now there's spending $20M/yr to preserve their shame...

440px-CRW_6621.jpg

.... Yellow Creek near luka, MS. Wow... this cost $4B?... 4 units...

1920px-YellowCreek.jpg

There's..... there's an absurd number of partially finished nuclear plants littering the country....

I mean... if you turned every abandoned nuclear plant into an amusement park it would outnumber SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Disney AND 6 flags.... We could call it 'Our country is unable to learn from our mistakes.... world'.... :(
But there is hope as an abandoned nuclear plant in my back yard Phipps Bend is now producing power as a solar farm.

New UK nuclear power plants 'hinge on deal between Hitachi and government'
UK nuclear plans 'risk collapse if Hitachi talks fail'

Looks like the UK is going to give Hitachi 13 billion pounds plus guaranteed price for power twice current renewables cost for new nuclear plant.
A new level of stupidity.
Got it. Nuke plant saddling the taxpayers with billions of Pounds of debt good. Tidal power with a fraction the price bad.

UK Government Won't Back Swansea Tidal Lagoon Project | CleanTechnica

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Tidal power with a fraction the price bad

I can't see a Seven Estuary tidal project ever getting the go ahead. The tides are huge (more than 10M / 40 feet) so in theory huge amounts of power available ... but there is bird life, and so on, that will be impacted and every time this has come up the anti-debate is massive. We probably have international wildlife agreements in place that would also be impacted. No/little opportunity to use the skills / technology elsewhere. Whilst the tides are predictable, they change, and don't always coincide with peak usage; perhaps we could drag the moon to a more helpful orbit ...

We Brits don't want Wind Turbines (or "Wind Flowers" as I call them to dilute the detractors) from being a blot on the landscape, and in many places we don't want PV on rooftops either e.g. if a building is "listed" as being of historical significance (and that can be anything, including modern rubbish) - here's hoping the Musk Roof Tiles solves that for the NIMBYs.

So we are doing the slightly more expensive offshore wind turbines instead. We have huge areas around us of shallow sea, so are in a Good Place for that, and probably acquiring good, exportable, skills too.

So if we keep cracking-on with Wind Power, and some PV, I'm happy. Politicians who back Nuclear need shooting though ...

As for nuclear and coal, it exists due to Trumper stupidity.
“I believe there should be a wall.....on the Canadian border. So when the Americans run out of healthcare, they can’t crawl over into Canada. They should make the wall 3 foot high, just to take the piss. So when the Americans are crawling over because their lungs are filled with coal from getting all their jobs back...”
- Jim Jefferies

And offshore is a lot more expensive than regular wind. But, on the contrary, both types of wind power will cost more when paired with stationary storage, something that will be needed for large scale renewables rollout. Still probably (and hopefully) cheaper though.
Off-shore wind is dropping in price fast, even in Johnny-come-lately USA. MA just signed a $65/MWh PPA. Off-shore also has a large advantage over land wind in being overall higher and more predictable wind speeds. The trade-off is in higher infrastructure and installation costs but it will looks like the LCOE normalized for capacity production value and energy value on the wholesale markets of these two techs are converging. And that is saying something, considering just how dirt cheap land based wind is today.

... We Brits don't want Wind Turbines (or "Wind Flowers" as I call them to dilute the detractors) from being a blot on the landscape, and in many places we don't want PV on rooftops either e.g. if a building is "listed" as being of historical significance (and that can be anything, including modern rubbish) - here's hoping the Musk Roof Tiles solves that for the NIMBYs.
TESLA solar roof seems one possible answer.

Nuclear reactors: permanent shutdowns by country worldwide 2018 | Statistic

That was in Feb. 2018 - Last couple of days Atomic reactors in Sweden, Finland and at least 4 in France shut down because the water was too hot to cool down the reactors. At least one coal plant shut down - also because of cooling problems. who knew?

Hot weather forces 4 French nuclear reactors to shut down

Nuclear power takes a hit as European heatwave rolls on

EDF Shuts Down Nuclear Reactors Because Water Is Too Hot