Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NY Eve Delivery Event @ the Factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're on a tram going through the factory which is huge. You'll pass by the paint booths but they were off a bit and not like you can really see much there, at least I don't remember getting a good look. There are photos online that will give you a better idea. I do remember our tour guy explaining some of what goes on there and about the technique that adheres the paint to the cars or something like that. Found the tour fascinating and loved the robots and welding, stamping machine and was interesting to see how the production line moves through the factory. General Assemby was interesting too. I'd recommend signing up for a tour if you can. We were there before the Model 3 line was part of the tour so we're due for another visit.

I have scheduled it in Feb 2020. Hope my car will be ready by then !!

You're on a tram going through the factory which is huge. You'll pass by the paint booths but they were off a bit and not like you can really see much there, at least I don't remember getting a good look.

We took the tour last Fri, and I didn't even get a glimpse of the painting area.
My dad was with me, and asked about it specifically, as he worked on the paint ovens back when the plant was NUMMI.
The tour guide said the tram was too wide to go thru there, and then talked about the clean area requirements to be around the paint booth.

Clearly the plant (and probably the tour) is continually changing.
The area right next to the tram was blocked off, and our tour guide said they have seen new robots being moved into that space, but were not allowed to discuss *why* (emphasis on Y : )

Regardless, great tour, can't wait to do it again!

We took the tour last Fri, and I didn't even get a glimpse of the painting area.
My dad was with me, and asked about it specifically, as he worked on the paint ovens back when the plant was NUMMI.
The tour guide said the tram was too wide to go thru there, and then talked about the clean area requirements to be around the paint booth.

Clearly the plant (and probably the tour) is continually changing.
The area right next to the tram was blocked off, and our tour guide said they have seen new robots being moved into that space, but were not allowed to discuss *why* (emphasis on Y : )

Regardless, great tour, can't wait to do it again!

Very similar to the tour I took in September. The only other factory tour I've ever taken was the BMW Greenville SC plant... and it was a very stark contrast.

The Greenville plant had a LOT more people, and was designed around that. You could really tell that Fremont is designed for robotic operation with a minimum of employees. Not so down in SC.

Very similar to the tour I took in September. The only other factory tour I've ever taken was the BMW Greenville SC plant... and it was a very stark contrast.

The Greenville plant had a LOT more people, and was designed around that. You could really tell that Fremont is designed for robotic operation with a minimum of employees. Not so down in SC.

1940s tech versus 2012 tec

Only other plant I was at was a GM plant that my dad worked at. Really wish he had lived long enough to go on a factory tour of the Tesla plant with us. I found the Factory fascinating and so clean and well lit. Oh and guess I could count in the Heinz plant tour I got to do as a elementary kid on a field trip. Production and ssembly lines are fascinating to watch.

The forum has been fairly quiet the past few hours. I was hoping to see more pictures of the final hours of 2019 deliveries around the country.

Oh well, Happy New Year everyone!

@engle, Russ (Silicon Valley Tesla Club member) is volunteering there and has been live streaming in case you missed his thread. Here’s his twitch page. He was going on a factory tour with other new owners waiting for their cars to be ready but should be live soon ( no cameras/recordings permitted in the factory). His previous videos are posted. He said he’d be there until midnight. Appreciate him doing this and posting.

https://m.twitch.tv/teslaruss/profile

not necessarily must see video but will give people an idea of what tonight was like over there.

Last edited:
@engle, Russ (Silicon Valley Tesla Club member) is volunteering there and has been live streaming in case you missed his thread. Here’s his twitch page. He was going on a factory tour with other new owners waiting for their cars to be ready but should be live soon ( no cameras/recordings permitted in the factory). His previous videos are posted. He said he’d be there until midnight. Appreciate him doing this and posting.

https://m.twitch.tv/teslaruss/profile

not necessarily must see video but will give people an idea of what tonight was like over there.

Thanks, caught a few minutes before he went offline for a factory tour.

There are way too many people still there with just over 2 hours to go. I think a lot of people are going to be there after midnight without cars. What a crazy way to spend New Year’s Eve.

Reactions: n8leon
Thanks, caught a few minutes before he went offline for a factory tour.

There are way too many people still there with just over 2 hours to go. I think a lot of people are going to be there after midnight without cars. What a crazy way to spend New Year’s Eve.

Thing is, if they’re there and sign the paperwork, that constitutes receiving the car by midnight for tax purposes, yeah? Even if they don’t drive out till 3am!

Reactions: MXWing
Thing is, if they’re there and sign the paperwork, that constitutes receiving the car by midnight for tax purposes, yeah? Even if they don’t drive out till 3am!

I was just thinking about this very problem at this very second. How do they manage some bastard not holding a bag when the clock strikes midnight?

They should know every VIN coming down on a rolling basis. VIN is all that's needed for the paperwork i believe. If docs signed at 11:59 and car is ready at 3:00AM - does it count?

I think Tesla quietly discounts by $1875 for anyone there worst case but hope they don't have to do that.

Reactions: dmurphy
I was just thinking about this very problem at this very second. How do they manage some bastard not holding a bag when the clock strikes midnight?

They should know every VIN coming down on a rolling basis. VIN is all that's needed for the paperwork i believe. If docs signed at 11:59 and car is ready at 3:00AM - does it count?

I think Tesla quietly discounts by $1875 for anyone there worst case but hope they don't have to do that.

I’d think the checkin process would be all that’s needed to get the final docs printed with the date and VIN number. Everything else can be ex post facto; think about your traditional dealer transaction. Things are always batched later anyway. How would the IRS know the vehicle went into service 12/31 or 1/1? Only time it matters really is in an audit, and even then, as long as your MVPA says the right thing ....