Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

O-Oh. It's happened. Frunk won't open.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
Referral Code
I've read about it.
I've seen You Tube videos on the subject.
It's obviously a big problem that affects other people.
But woah! It's happened to me!
I can pop the frunk but it won't unlatch.
Yes, I've done everything you can think of and endured some more You Tube videos.
Just as well it didn't happen last week at Heathrow - cabin bag / laptop was in there.
Anyway, an appointment in 4 weeks time at the service centre. FOUR weeks!

Just as well there is nothing important of mine in there.
Just as well it's not winter and I don't need to refill the windscreen wash.
Mrs M isn't too happy that she can't get to her TK Maxx shopping!
After the awful weather we've been having I was going to refill the screenwash today...

Anyway, all the stuff on the forums about this issue - it's true.
It's still an issue

I also had this problem on my Model S 2013 Tesla about a year ago. After calling Tesla support they recommended that I
take it into the service center in Burbank (a 20 minute drive). The service center fixed the problem in about 15 minutes but
it caused a delay in our trip to San Diego. At least they were able to fix the problem free of charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Tattersky
Any possibility the latch spring isn't strong enough to pop it? Try using a covered screwdriver or plastic tool to pry it just slightly. The springs are cheap and frequently replaced in the frunk easy close modification.

You are braver than me if you use that leverage method. A no-damage approach worth trying is to close the frunk, then press to hold it down against the spring whilst getting someone else to press the trunk release button ... still keeping fairly firm pressure so it can't actually move ... then release the pressure very fast after the latch is already open... hoping it will pop up fully ...
I might also just risk trying some of those tiny suction dent pullers (but very gingerly) near the front either side of the logo ... if it doesn't spring readily, give up!

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
I thought I would share today's good news:
We originally had a Bristol SC appt today to get the frunk sorted and so accordingly we planned a Bristol visit. In the meantime Tesla cancelled the appointment and said we would get a mobile fix done once spares were in. We kept our Bristol visit and I took the car to the Bristol SC on the off chance that at least they could recover Mrs M's shopping which has been stuck in there since Nov 8. Within 30 minutes the shopping was retrieved! Mrs M is happy and I'm overjoyed as its one less thing to be nagged about on a daily basis.
On the way to Bristol we got a text notifying us that the repair will be done by a mobile visit next week - which is good news.
Trouble is will we ever trust the frunk again?
Thank you Bristol SC

Probably took a leaf out of Fiats books.

Car was in for final 'service' on the plan and first MOT - failed the MOT (most of my cars don't fail their MOT until they are at least 10 years old) on slight brake imbalance and windscreen wipers - both Major failures - urm, passenger side didn't wipe slightly - anyway, Fiat dealer refused to let the car leave unless I signed away my life telling me it was dangerous. They didn't have a spare wiper and too late for brake adjustment, So left it there, it was getting late, a day full of delay after delay. On way back, I picked up a set of Bosch blades from Halfords. 3 days later, car still at garage - they refused to fit my wipers and they were still waiting on the wiper blades to come into stock.

So Fiat main dealer, 5 days to get a pair of windscreen wipers.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
my frunk wouldn't open and we had our wellies stuck in there which we need daily to walk the dog! I phoned Tesla service who said they'd get Brooklands to call me back. I didn't hear anything so the next day I drove the 1hr to Brooklands (without an appointment) and they took the car in, opened the frunk and got our wellies out and then ordered the part and booked it to be replaced by a mobile technician once the part arrived. They also pushed out 2019.36.2.1 to my car as I was still on v9 since pickup a couple of weeks ago.
couldn't be happier with the service! they would've been well within their rights to say "sorry, you haven't got an appointment, we'll book something in for you" but instead they were awesome.

so I now await for the part to arrive and the mobile technician to fix it.

but as you said there is no a loss of confidence in the frunk so I also wonder if I'll ever use it again.

Probably took a leaf out of Fiats books.

Car was in for final 'service' on the plan and first MOT - failed the MOT (most of my cars don't fail their MOT until they are at least 10 years old) on slight brake imbalance and windscreen wipers - both Major failures - urm, passenger side didn't wipe slightly - anyway, Fiat dealer refused to let the car leave unless I signed away my life telling me it was dangerous. They didn't have a spare wiper and too late for brake adjustment, So left it there, it was getting late, a day full of delay after delay. On way back, I picked up a set of Bosch blades from Halfords. 3 days later, car still at garage - they refused to fit my wipers and they were still waiting on the wiper blades to come into stock.

So Fiat main dealer, 5 days to get a pair of windscreen wipers.
That's outrageous!

so I now await for the part to arrive and the mobile technician to fix it.

but as you said there is no a loss of confidence in the frunk so I also wonder if I'll ever use it again.

Need to find out what part broke and whether the new part is upgraded or the same as before to know, I presume it will get upgraded otherwise they will just end up with multiple revisits under warranty.

Also worth noting under EU Consumer law with Apple products if your item breaks for a second time you can get a full refund if you originally purchased it from Apple.

This is pretty worrying, particularly as the frunk is touted as being ideal for shopping etc. and I can imagine people might be using this to store perishable items (picking up a few bits from the supermarket on the way home from work etc.)

I've found it convenient for storing my laptop bag when driving to work, but now I am more paranoid about it!

This is pretty worrying, particularly as the frunk is touted as being ideal for shopping etc. and I can imagine people might be using this to store perishable items (picking up a few bits from the supermarket on the way home from work etc.)

Also recommended for transporting carry-out food to avoid making the car smell ... there'd be a frantic panic if you couldn't get at your fish and chips when you get home!