Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBD Hotspot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Dot in the garage now on the same network as the living room and bedrooms. I recommend you consider replacing your router with mesh technology to extend your range versus a range extender.

I would not recommend that if your goal is Tesla connectivity, or at least not right now. I recently read a thread on another Tesla users list (not sure which one) in which folks had problems with mesh setups. Apparently, the car stores the BSSID (the access point's unique identifier) rather than the SSID (network name) when it learns about a new network, and as a result, it always connects to whichever specific access point it happened to have seen most recently when you added the network, even if it has a weaker signal.

Of course, you can always delete the network from the Tesla and re-add it, but that Tesla firmware bug completely defeats the purpose of having multiple APs on the same network. You're better off having multiple APs with different network names, so that your car can uniquely identify them, at least until Tesla fixes that bug.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I would not recommend that if your goal is Tesla connectivity, or at least not right now. I recently read a thread on another Tesla users list (not sure which one) in which folks had problems with mesh setups. Apparently, the car stores the BSSID (the access point's unique identifier) rather than the SSID (network name) when it learns about a new network, and as a result, it always connects to whichever specific access point it happened to have seen most recently when you added the network, even if it has a weaker signal.

Of course, you can always delete the network from the Tesla and re-add it, but that Tesla firmware bug completely defeats the purpose of having multiple APs on the same network. You're better off having multiple APs with different network names, so that your car can uniquely identify them, at least until Tesla fixes that bug.
I just happened to have been playing with my wireless network in the past few days. I added another access point for outdoor use, closer to the garage. All my access points share the same SSIDs (I have multiple SSIDs with different VLANs). During all the configuration and provisions the Tesla had no trouble jumping to a different AP having the same SSID while its originally connected AP was restarting/provisioning.

• Informative
Sort of back to the original topic...

My X is RHD and am not finding the OBD port on the driver's right side above the footrest. Based on @K-MTG 's photo, in LHD cars it's on the left side above the footrest, on the plastic panel (not buried in the side carpet).
The other day Tesla mechanic came to my house for adjusting automatic door glass movement, I asked him and he told me that X doesn't have any OBD ports!

Is there anybody who has RHD or European Model X? Japanese X is Euro spec with American Tesla charging.

BTW I plan to use these things:
ME154|USB充電器 2ポート OBD 2.1A | スマートフォン充電器|携帯電話/スマートフォン充電器|携帯電話/スマートフォン関連|カーアクセサリー|製品情報|カー用品 総合メーカー カーメイト(CARMATE)
OBD2 USB charger
LTE対応USBドングル PIX-MT100
SIM free USB dongle WiFi router
0 SIM | nuroモバイル
"0 SIM" free for life 4G LTE SIM up to 500MB monthly. Up to $20 if exceeding 500MB. Only for Japanese market.
I found the OBD2 port on my RHD Model X. It's in driver side, right wall at above the acceleration pedal. I would say it's located symmetrically to LHD vehicles.
So I installed above equipment. The cable between the connector and USB port was hidden under the wall carpet.

IMG_20180521_104318-2080x1560.jpg

The white device is the USB LTE router dongle.
IMG_20180521_104408-2080x1560.jpg

Small black box-like device is the OBD2 connecter connected. Larger black box is two USB ports. Finally the white device with blue LED is the LTE router dongle.

I found the OBD2 port on my RHD Model X. It's in driver side, right wall at above the acceleration pedal. I would say it's located symmetrically to LHD vehicles.
So I installed above equipment. The cable between the connector and USB port was hidden under the wall carpet.

View attachment 302692

The white device is the USB LTE router dongle.
View attachment 302694
Small black box-like device is the OBD2 connecter connected. Larger black box is two USB ports. Finally the white device with blue LED is the LTE router dongle.
Is your USB LTE always on? Evdn when you left car? Which model is it exactly?

Is your USB LTE always on? Evdn when you left car? Which model is it exactly?
Yes, it is always on but my Blackvue sometimes says it became offline and back online. Not sure it is because of Blackvue or WiFi dongle, or the wireless operator (it's free anyway).

OBD Hotspot?
These are what I use. I suspect that they are available in Japan only... but you can find similar stuff on Amazon I believe. Freedompop or something like that?

Yes, it is always on but my Blackvue sometimes says it became offline and back online. Not sure it is because of Blackvue or WiFi dongle, or the wireless operator (it's free anyway).

OBD Hotspot?
These are what I use. I suspect that they are available in Japan only... but you can find similar stuff on Amazon I believe. Freedompop or something like that?

Thanks for fast feedback. I just want to avoid making hotspot via ODB since I have few LTE USB sticks. I just hope my Model S 2016 had USB ports as your X.