Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observed public perception of the Model 3 being the inferior budget model coming from 2 Tesla family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, the tranquil French traffic. Growing up, my grandmother lived in Rome. She drove around in a FIAT 127, never drove particularly fast, however, laws were more suggestions - red lights were yield signs; too many cars on the street, plenty of room on the sidewalk.

The day anyone gets FSD to work reliably, widely in Europe I'll lose my mind with the amount of respect given. ;)

Roll cage on wheels eh?

Smart Car slams into dump truck on 405

Last time a Tesla did something similar, driver got a broken ankle.

Dental records are probably necessary to identify the smart car driver.

I don’t pull punches on my opinions but I believe them to be truthful. Smart cars are ugly and are likely to get you killed given the majority of cars out there are high clearence trucks or SUVs

Nope!

View attachment 312429

Imagine dying and getting clowned on for having no sense and no taste.
SMART owner said he won't drive on highways (seldom over 70 kph = <45mph).
Seems it is now understandable why cars kill 2x or 3x more in US than other english speaking countries.
List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia

Can reasonable driver and US auto enthusiast exist in the same place at the same time?
(is this a trick question?:rolleyes:)

Last edited:
I have doubts about the prospects of downsizing to hit an affordable price level.
I think 3 is small enough. I mean, I'm not sure how well it will hold up in the frontal collision with a full size SUV, which seems to be a dominating vehicle on the roads nowadays.
If you go even smaller that will likely be a death trap, I wouldn't want to compromise that much on safety just to get into EV.

Seems it is now understandable why cars kill 2x or 3x more in US than other english speaking countries.

Can reasonable driver and US auto enthusiast exist in the same place at the same time?
Back when I drove a Smart Car I drove it from here in the middle of the Canadian prairies to Chicago. Twice. At the 70mph US Interstate speed limits. Cost me less that C$200 in diesel.

Last edited:
I have doubts about the prospects of downsizing to hit an affordable price level.
I think 3 is small enough. I mean, I'm not sure how well it will hold up in the frontal collision with a full size SUV, which seems to be a dominating vehicle on the roads nowadays.
If you go even smaller that will likely be a death trap, I wouldn't want to compromise that much on safety just to get into EV.
Toyota Corolla dimensions: 183″ L x 70″ W x 57″ H
Model 3 dimensions: 185″ L x 73″ W x 57″ H

Don't think size drop. It's the drivetrain and control systems expense, along with some interior accessory/connivence features that'll get cut (such as heated seats, etc), where the meat of the cost reduction is going to come from (at least that's what I expect). Battery prices have a long way to drop and electronics of course do, too.

EDIT: Think "simpler", as Tesla rethinks how vehicles are put together so as to better enable mass production automation.

In America, you can still be run over by someone in an Escalade at 55MPH blowing red lights while on a cell phone.

Making fun of a non fashionable cars is not to be taken seriously but the possibility of leaving your wife a widow and your children as orphans is a life and death matter.

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
In America, you can still be run over by someone in an Escalade at 55MPH blowing red lights while on a cell phone.

Making fun of a non fashionable cars is not to be taken seriously but the possibility of leaving your wife a widow and your children as orphans is a life and death matter.
Perhaps we should move to Canada (vs US) ? SmartElectric is from Toronto Canada

9.5 (vs 12.9) deaths per 100,000 motor vehicles (US +36% more dangerous)
6.0 (vs 10.6) deaths per 100,000 population (US +76% more dangerous)

Driving cars one of the most dangerous things we do, especially 16-24 year olds.
(we couild add auto deaths to gun shot killings - way too depressing - Canada is just safer, enough said)

Anyway it would be interesting to see how Merc SMART car does in crash tests and what accident statistics reveal. (I haven't found)

- [low deaths in US was 2014 and since then about 20,000 extra deaths perhaps cell phone distraction?]

silver lining - we all hope self driving autos will be much safer for all

Welcome to America - one of the most dangerous industrialized countries - by some counts #1 yet again.:rolleyes:

Reactions: SmartElectric
We brought our 3 to a local Atlanta car show in February and very few people recognized it and those that did said “oh the cheap $35k tesla”. Until they saw the monroney sticker for $57k and they were really surprised how much the options cost. A few people recognized us from our YouTube channel which was a bit odd since most of our content is about Halloween and not cars.

The Model 3 is the least expensive Tesla. That doesn't mean cheap.

Do people call the 3-series the cheap BMW?

Not really into other cars but isn't the Benz C class like their "cheap" car and get viewed the same way as the Model 3 then of Tesla's would be. I've heard people say people who can't afford a real Benz went for the C model.

Let's face it no matter how you look at it both are the lower cost models of each manufacturer. We may be spending more for the car than any other car we've owned (we do have an MS in our case but otherwise would be true), so I guess hearing the word cheap makes owners say "what? are you kidding me!"

Last edited:
I do think that the $35K version will be more or less indistinguishable on looks to most drivers out there from the other versions except for the P version so think that stereotype will get applied to the Model 3 anyway. Funny how people let money and other's opinions affect them. Goes both ways, either you are driving an expensive tech car or you're driving a cheap Tesla. Can't win. Just enjoy driving.

Not really into other cars but isn't the Benz C class like their "cheap" car and get viewed the same way as the Model 3 then of Tesla's would be. I've heard people say people who can't afford a real Benz went for the C model.

Let's face it no matter how you look at it both are the lower cost models of each manufacturer. We may be spending more for the car than any other car we've owned (we do have an MS in our case but otherwise would be true), so I guess hearing the word cheap makes owners say "what? are you kidding me!"

I think the CLA (or A Class in Europe) would be their "cheap" car. The CLA/A/GLA drive considerable different than every other Mercedes and are the only MB with front wheel drive.

The 3 may be the lower cost alternative to the S, however, many of the traits of the S are in the 3 (RWD or dual motor/fast acceleration/large batteries/Safety Features). Most people I know that are not as familiar with Tesla have a hard time identifying the 3 vs the S unless they are side by side.

• Love
Reactions: Brando

The only people that recognize the difference for most luxury cars are those that are invested in the brand (i.e. owners) or other car enthusiasts. Random Joe blow on the highway has no idea what the difference is between a C class and an E class other then the visual indicators.

Tesla will eventually be in the same boat, though it's "working against" the Model 3 a little more because the price is the main focus for most media coverage.