Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obsolete habits - Any Other Owners Have This Problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still instinctively try to reach up and turn the car off with either a key or push button when I stop to get out of the car....old habits die hard. I then just laugh at myself, and say..."This is the way of the Future"

Honestly...how many of you all do the same thing :wink:

On another note, went to see a display of WW II planes this weekend. Dad flew in B24s in the Pacific, and the last flying one was there. They also had a B17 and a P51 giving flights. On TV those planes looked so much larger than they are in real life. We were able to climb through both the B17 and B24 - not a whole lot of room. But, when we came back to the car, it was getting almost as much attention as the planes. A couple stood and watched as we walked up to the car, the handles came out, we got in and silently drove off... We both smiled and waved at each other.

I still instinctively try to reach up and turn the car off with either a key or push button when I stop to get out of the car....old habits die hard. I then just laugh at myself, and say..."This is the way of the Future"

Honestly...how many of you all do the same thing :wink:

On another note, went to see a display of WW II planes this weekend. Dad flew in B24s in the Pacific, and the last flying one was there. They also had a B17 and a P51 giving flights. On TV those planes looked so much larger than they are in real life. We were able to climb through both the B17 and B24 - not a whole lot of room. But, when we came back to the car, it was getting almost as much attention as the planes. A couple stood and watched as we walked up to the car, the handles came out, we got in and silently drove off... We both smiled and waved at each other.

That's nothing. Wait until you've driven the S exclusively for a while, then drive an ICE. Feel pretty stupid when you realize you left the car running.

Yep, for the first couple weeks I'd reach for the key. Or the emergency brake. Or for the gear shift. Or the head lights.

It's not until I get into my wife's car that I realize how much ritual is involved before driving actually started (or ended). It feels so quaint and old fashioned :)

ICE cars feel so primitive now. And smelly! I never used to notice the smell. I guess I got used to it!

> Wait until you've driven the S exclusively for a while, then drive an ICE. Feel pretty stupid when you realize you left the car running.

LOL!

I get a kick out of telling my test rides to simply walk away from it as MS will handle the whole on/off thing.

and yes, I HAD to ride in my wife's BMW the other day. All that interior was all around me and way too close. Yuck! Give me back my MS. I am now officially a spoiled MS brat.

Yep, for the first couple weeks I'd reach for the key. Or the emergency brake. Or for the gear shift. Or the head lights.

It's not until I get into my wife's car that I realize how much ritual is involved before driving actually started (or ended). It feels so quaint and old fashioned :)

This is my problem; I keep thinking, after I hit park and pick up my phone or iPad or whatever, "Hmm, I have to do something else" and my hand moves reflexively towards . . . something that's not there! Brake or gear shift, I think, is what I'm thinking. I look around for an split-second, mildly confused, then realize I'm a dope and I get out of the car. ;-)

Drove my other vehicle this weekend (first time in over a month). Was pleased that it started right up.

It's remarkable how many times I flicked the windshield wipers trying to go in Reverse. At basically every stop I did that "oh right, idiot" manuever and mutterance.

Sidenote: Not enough charge locations in Bremerton (I was scouting for a potential 'high performance driving surface' event in May).

I have two:

- I hate the placement of the stalks and occasionally I hit the wrong one when trying to put on my blinkers. That's happening less and less.

- Having driven manuals my entire life, I find myself reaching for the stick sometimes when I'm about to accelerate (say around a turn) when I think it's time to downshift. I suspect I will do that one for a much longer time.

Years ago I used to wash my gas car when I went to the gas station to fill up.

Since switching to EVs, I had to come up with a new system to decide when it was time for a car wash again.

On the subject of car washes, around here all the washes give you a $2 discount if you gas up first. The first time I got a car wash for the S, I went into the store to pay for it, and they said it was $2 more if I don't fill first. I said, "It's electric so I can't put gas in it." So she gave me the discount anyway.

Ever since then I've always asked for the discount. I've now had washes at four different gas stations, and so far my success rate is 100%! :smile:

- I hate the placement of the stalks and occasionally I hit the wrong one when trying to put on my blinkers. That's happening less and less.
I'm getting there, but still occasionally pull or push the cruise control for blinkers.

I still have not begun to trust the 'walk away' lock - use the fob. On the other hand, I used the LEAF last evening and it took me a moment to realize it was not going to unlock just because I stood next to it.

BTW, OT, but that LEAF is still a spirited and fun car to drive.