TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Obsolete habits - Any Other Owners Have This Problem?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by rogbmw, Mar 4, 2013.

1. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

I still instinctively try to reach up and turn the car off with either a key or push button when I stop to get out of the car....old habits die hard. I then just laugh at myself, and say..."This is the way of the Future"

Honestly...how many of you all do the same thing :wink:

On another note, went to see a display of WW II planes this weekend. Dad flew in B24s in the Pacific, and the last flying one was there. They also had a B17 and a P51 giving flights. On TV those planes looked so much larger than they are in real life. We were able to climb through both the B17 and B24 - not a whole lot of room. But, when we came back to the car, it was getting almost as much attention as the planes. A couple stood and watched as we walked up to the car, the handles came out, we got in and silently drove off... We both smiled and waved at each other.

2. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

LOL. Old habit patterns die hard.At least you're not pulling into gas stations!

I assume you and your dad have read "Unbroken"by Laura Hillenbrand? Riveting.

3. napabill

napabill Active Member

That's nothing. Wait until you've driven the S exclusively for a while, then drive an ICE. Feel pretty stupid when you realize you left the car running.

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Yep, for the first couple weeks I'd reach for the key. Or the emergency brake. Or for the gear shift. Or the head lights.

It's not until I get into my wife's car that I realize how much ritual is involved before driving actually started (or ended). It feels so quaint and old fashioned :)

5. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

ICE cars feel so primitive now. And smelly! I never used to notice the smell. I guess I got used to it!

> Wait until you've driven the S exclusively for a while, then drive an ICE. Feel pretty stupid when you realize you left the car running.

LOL!

6. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I get a kick out of telling my test rides to simply walk away from it as MS will handle the whole on/off thing.

and yes, I HAD to ride in my wife's BMW the other day. All that interior was all around me and way too close. Yuck! Give me back my MS. I am now officially a spoiled MS brat.

7. steve841

steve841 Active Member

#7 steve841, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    I do it .... now I do the opposite .. leave the wife's car unlocked or running...

Collings Foundation .... great group!

I flew in their P-51 .... what a blast! http://youtu.be/BL-UINvKhQQ

8. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Guilty!

9. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

This is my problem; I keep thinking, after I hit park and pick up my phone or iPad or whatever, "Hmm, I have to do something else" and my hand moves reflexively towards . . . something that's not there! Brake or gear shift, I think, is what I'm thinking. I look around for an split-second, mildly confused, then realize I'm a dope and I get out of the car. ;-)

10. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

No problem with the S but I recently got into my Nissan pickup and tried to back up before starting the engine.

11. byt

byt Member

I exited my Rav4 and walked away with the key still in the ignition, stupid ICE cars... ;)

12. tom t

tom t Member

Tried to set the foot brake, just before leaving the car while running.

13. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Another one here who left the (ICE) car running...

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Pressing the parking brake pedal that isn't there is what I do.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Drove my other vehicle this weekend (first time in over a month). Was pleased that it started right up.

It's remarkable how many times I flicked the windshield wipers trying to go in Reverse. At basically every stop I did that "oh right, idiot" manuever and mutterance.

Sidenote: Not enough charge locations in Bremerton (I was scouting for a potential 'high performance driving surface' event in May).

16. HFh

HFh Member

I have two:

- I hate the placement of the stalks and occasionally I hit the wrong one when trying to put on my blinkers. That's happening less and less.

- Having driven manuals my entire life, I find myself reaching for the stick sometimes when I'm about to accelerate (say around a turn) when I think it's time to downshift. I suspect I will do that one for a much longer time.

17. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

Been there and done that.

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Years ago I used to wash my gas car when I went to the gas station to fill up.

Since switching to EVs, I had to come up with a new system to decide when it was time for a car wash again.

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

On the subject of car washes, around here all the washes give you a $2 discount if you gas up first. The first time I got a car wash for the S, I went into the store to pay for it, and they said it was $2 more if I don't fill first. I said, "It's electric so I can't put gas in it." So she gave me the discount anyway.

Ever since then I've always asked for the discount. I've now had washes at four different gas stations, and so far my success rate is 100%! :smile:

20. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

I'm getting there, but still occasionally pull or push the cruise control for blinkers.

I still have not begun to trust the 'walk away' lock - use the fob. On the other hand, I used the LEAF last evening and it took me a moment to realize it was not going to unlock just because I stood next to it.

BTW, OT, but that LEAF is still a spirited and fun car to drive.