Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is kinda dumb but for the first week of ownership, I thought the Model 3 would only blink 3 times with turn signals. That is until I accidentally pressed the stalk all the way down, then realized you could have continuous turn signal as well.

Also when autopilot is engaged, I used to jerk the wheel to take control. Then found out a much safer way to take control is to flip the right stalk up once, which will disengage autopilot and allow you to smoothly take control.

I don't mean to single you out, but I've come across a few similar comments. It's concerning to me that people use the beta Autopilot feature without knowing how to properly control it. Someone mentioned that they were pressing the park button to disable Autopilot and they were surprised that it started activating the parking brake. I highly recommend reading and understanding Autopilot's controls and limitations before letting the vehicle propel itself down the road... if not, you could just find yourself running into the back of a fire truck. ;)

Hopkins folks know how to reboot the car - seems like quite a bunch of new folks here. You hold both scroll buttons down forward an extended time and the car's computer system will reboot. You can actually keep on driving if you like. Some folks say electronics need a reboots every some often

• Informative
Reactions: Scrutmonkey
Hopkins folks know how to reboot the car - seems like quite a bunch of new folks here. You hold both scroll buttons down forward an extended time and the car's computer system will reboot. You can actually keep on driving if you like. Some folks say electronics need a reboots every some often

Following up, this only reboots the infotainment and user interface system. The Autopilot and driving computers continue to operate, which is why you can continue driving, even in Autopilot (albeit with no information for a short period of time).

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
if you adjust the side mirrors while in reverse and save the setting, the mirrors will go into that position when you go into reverse

I've been frustrated by the mirror tilting option, because I am used being able to tilt my passenger mirror while leaving the driver mirror in it's normal state while reversing. I was excited when I read your post, but I tried it and doesn't seem to work.

I placed the car in reverse, which lowered both mirrors to tilt position. Then I scrolled the left mirror to it's normal position, then pressed save. The I shifted into park. Both mirrors went back to normal position. But the next time I placed the car in reverse they both tilted down. So then I thought maybe I have to turn off auto tilt to get your suggestion to work. But if I turn off auto tilt, and then adjust the mirrors where I want them in reverse they just stay that way all the time.

Any further suggestions?

• Informative
Reactions: Brenzo
I'm not sure if our definition of light force is different or it's because I have sport steering turned on, but I have to move the wheel enough to actually change the car direction which is not what I consider light force. But with the nipple buttons, it's a non issue for me now.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I'm not sure if our definition of light force is different or it's because I have sport steering turned on, but I have to move the wheel enough to actually change the car direction which is not what I consider light force. But with the nipple buttons, it's a non issue for me now.
Hmm, I figure mine requires maybe a pound or less of force. Lightly holding my hand does the job most of the time.

Reactions: jkirkwood001

Ditto with mine. While I was explaining to someone how to 'acknowledge' that I'm not dead or asleep, I realized how overkill that much force is. My steering is set to heavy - wonder if that impacts it?

The speed change is good to know... but I'll just keep increasing the speed 1mph until the end of autopilot (which is 90mph). LOL Wonder if it still serves as the acknowledgement if you're already cruising at 90.

I use the Standard setting for steering and just the slightest jiggle is enough to get rid of the warning. I've also started to just hold onto the wheel at the bottom with a very slight resistance, which seems to be enough to never see any warnings. If you are having to change the direction of the car to get rid of the warnings then I would suggest having the service center take a look at it.

I'll change to Sport mode on my way home from work tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Ditto with mine. While I was explaining to someone how to 'acknowledge' that I'm not dead or asleep, I realized how overkill that much force is. My steering is set to heavy - wonder if that impacts it?

The speed change is good to know... but I'll just keep increasing the speed 1mph until the end of autopilot (which is 90mph). LOL Wonder if it still serves as the acknowledgement if you're already cruising at 90.

It does, actually. I was driving in a 40mph zone so the limit was 45 which is where I had it set. When I flicked up on the right wheel, it acknowledged the touch. Works great- I assume the same would happen at 90 :) You can also use volume increase/decrease instead of cruise as another posted pointed out.

I'm unable to operate certain functions:
-If im walking out into the store to pickup something real quick, how can the passenger keep the AC on?

Software Wishlist:
-Remotely turn on AC when there is no LTE
-AI based AC turn on notification (suggest that i should turn it on), eventually auto turn on and just notify
-"Knock knock" to open frunk, basically some way to open frunk w/o fumbling with the phone. Maybe pushing down on the frunk, or gesture control via the front camera.

My Model 3 is at Tesla for due bill so I can't try out on my car but in our Model S when the driver leaves the car, the passenger just has to touch the MCU screen and music and fan/AC will come back on.

I've been frustrated by the mirror tilting option, because I am used being able to tilt my passenger mirror while leaving the driver mirror in it's normal state while reversing. I was excited when I read your post, but I tried it and doesn't seem to work.

I placed the car in reverse, which lowered both mirrors to tilt position. Then I scrolled the left mirror to it's normal position, then pressed save. The I shifted into park. Both mirrors went back to normal position. But the next time I placed the car in reverse they both tilted down. So then I thought maybe I have to turn off auto tilt to get your suggestion to work. But if I turn off auto tilt, and then adjust the mirrors where I want them in reverse they just stay that way all the time.

Any further suggestions?

I have same request.

I don't get why the driver-side mirror tilts because unless you are parallel parking on the driver-side on a one-way street, it's fairly pointless. No other car I have owned with auto-tilt in reverse functionality ever adjusted the driver-side in addition to the passenger-side mirror. It was always just the passenger-side since I assume parallel parking and distance to curb is primary concern here.

Personally, I reverse into my garage spot and would much prefer the driver-side stay as is to ensure I'm not too close to the other car and have the passenger side tilt as I am going up against a wall and it's help to see more of the lower back bumper that is afforded by tilting the mirror.

The easiest fix would be to allow you to save settings similar to method described above. Bummer if it doesn't work, was going to try when I got home tonight.

I have same request.

I don't get why the driver-side mirror tilts because unless you are parallel parking on the driver-side on a one-way street, it's fairly pointless. No other car I have owned with auto-tilt in reverse functionality ever adjusted the driver-side in addition to the passenger-side mirror. It was always just the passenger-side since I assume parallel parking and distance to curb is primary concern here.

Personally, I reverse into my garage spot and would much prefer the driver-side stay as is to ensure I'm not too close to the other car and have the passenger side tilt as I am going up against a wall and it's help to see more of the lower back bumper that is afforded by tilting the mirror.

The easiest fix would be to allow you to save settings similar to method described above. Bummer if it doesn't work, was going to try when I got home tonight.

Yep. Agree on everything. Your garage parking situation is similar to mine.

Had a close call on this on day 1. Pulled up to my house and Homelink went to open my garage. Problem was, it was open and my wife and daughter were in the garage unloading groceries. I scrambled to push the Skip button, but between looking at the screen and watching the garage door come down toward my daughter, I panicked and missed it. Luckily, they were pulled in far enough so the garage door didn't hit my wife's tailgate (or more importantly either of them). But now I'm much more cautious and prepared.

I had the same problem, however, I knew they were going to be there. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to hit SKIP in time before it started to close.

I wish we could SKIP at anytime.

Reactions: Transformer