Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obvious features/functions that weren't obvious to you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You press it 10 conservative times, I just kept pressing the button until the rainbow light turned out tho lol. Hope it works for you!
Mine worked at 10 times as well, but then I got a “charging interrupted error” after a few minutes. Restarted charging and got the same error a few minutes later. Disconnected the charger and started charging again and have had no problems since. Just in case someone else has the same problem.

• Informative
Reactions: follow.johnny
I want the ability to SKIP well ahead of time. That should be a simple fix.

Maybe I'm misreading and not understanding. Mine gives me a distance countdown sufficiently far in advance as I approach the preset garage location, but I have it set to open from like 70 feet away. I have plenty of time to hit skip before the car sends the HomeLink signal. I guess if you're screaming toward your garage at 50 MPH until the last few dozen feet the countdown will whiz by too fast. You can always approach your garage slower to give yourself more time to skip the HomeLink command.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Maybe I'm misreading and not understanding. Mine gives me a distance countdown sufficiently far in advance as I approach the preset garage location, but I have it set to open from like 70 feet away. I have plenty of time to hit skip before the car sends the HomeLink signal. I guess if you're screaming toward your garage at 50 MPH until the last few dozen feet the countdown will whiz by too fast. You can always approach your garage slower to give yourself more time to skip the HomeLink command.

I live off a busy street so, yes there are times when I'm coming in hot where the SKIP button is barely there before it disappears. Also, I'm being mindful of traffic so can't keep my eyes on the screen. Allowing me to SKIP ahead of time when I'm safely parked or at a light is what I'm asking for.

I have my distance set at max, but that's not enough.

Something that wasn't obvious to me at first was that automatic lane changes are only available in highways, even though the rest of AutoPilot can be used outside highways.

Had I known this earlier, I would've saved myself a lot of "Weird, it usually works when I'm alone..." moments when I demo'ed it out to colleagues.

I assume this was pre-9.0? Previous to 9.0, there was alway a "tell" on the IC (or, I'd assume the main screen for Model 3) if auto lane-change would or would not be allowed...if the lane you wanted to change into (left or right) was not explicitly shown (i.e. there was not another set of lane lines beside the one you were currently in), then that was the clue that auto lane-change wouldn't work.

So driving on a surface street, the IC would just show the current lane I was in and therefore I knew I could not auto change lanes on AutoPilot. And even some stretches of highways/freeways would (sometimes inexplicably) not allow the lane change. So if I was on the freeway and tried to auto lane change to the right and it didn't work, I'd look down at the IC and see that maybe it was only showing my lane and the lane to my left. That meant, at that very moment anyhow, that it would let me auto lane change to the left, but it would not allow me to auto lane change to the right. Of course, after a few seconds to a minute that situation might change.

Post 9.0, I find I can auto lane-change some surface roads that are not highway/freeways. Some can and some can't. Not sure if the "clue" above will apply to 9.0 as well, but it certainly might. If so, you can glance at the lanes being displayed before attempting to demo to your friends.

I'm not sure if our definition of light force is different or it's because I have sport steering turned on, but I have to move the wheel enough to actually change the car direction which is not what I consider light force.
With AP on my car does not require any perceptible steering wheel rotation to prevent the alert from displaying, I just have to have my hand on the wheel and apply a tiny amount of torque.

My Model X requires much more force applied to the wheel to avoid getting the AP hold wheel alerts. 5e difference between the two cars is striking. Really like the three better!

Reactions: Nathan
I live off a busy street so, yes there are times when I'm coming in hot where the SKIP button is barely there before it disappears. Also, I'm being mindful of traffic so can't keep my eyes on the screen. Allowing me to SKIP ahead of time when I'm safely parked or at a light is what I'm asking for.

I have my distance set at max, but that's not enough.

Got it. Not saying they shouldn't add an option to skip further in advance, but maybe auto-open isn't the best idea in your specific scenario if there's a concern for safety that comes up often.

I don't get why the driver-side mirror tilts because unless you are parallel parking on the driver-side on a one-way street, it's fairly pointless. No other car I have owned with auto-tilt in reverse functionality ever adjusted the driver-side in addition to the passenger-side mirror. It was always just the passenger-side since I assume parallel parking and distance to curb is primary concern here.

I actually like and use the mirror tilts all the time. They're great for making sure I stay between the lines and not getting too close to a curb when reverse parking in spaces.

Reactions: ZoomDoggie
I actually like and use the mirror tilts all the time. They're great for making sure I stay between the lines and not getting too close to a curb when reverse parking in spaces.

Yes, but with rear camera and passenger-side mirror tilting you could still achieve that. Regardless, would still love to see this as a feature, especially when the previous recommendation or existing UI / drive profile save process could easily allow for it.

It will connect automatically when in range at a Tesla Service Center - also some superchargers.
However, this software update trick seemed to stop working a couple years ago. In this one case, it may be bc the car was queued for an update and was waiting for a wifi connection? Would be interesting to know if the car connected to other wifi networks prior

• Informative
Reactions: Thomas Edison