Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

October 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Post-Delivery update:

I picked up my Austin-built car yesterday and drove it home about 100 miles. Here are my takeaways:

• The staff at the delivery center were very friendly, but knew almost nothing. For example, I asked if my car came with the mobile connector kit. He said they all do. Sure enough, as I expected when I got the email from Tesla with a $200 off coupon for charging, I had no charger in my car. Further, he said all Model Ys have been coming with matrix LEDs for a while now. That is not true and mine didn't either, even though it was built very recently. I stopped asking him any questions after that. He didn't even tell me I had 100 miles to report any cosmetic issues, luckily I knew that. He did recommend a great place to eat lunch in the area, though.
  • My car did not have matrix LEDs or the wood side panels on the doors that many have been getting this month. Oh well, not a huge loss.
  • My car did have the parcel shelf/cargo cover in the trunk, as maybe all Austin-built cars do?
  • I used the Git-hub-based delivery checklist. It took about 45 minutes. I think the checklist estimates 90 minutes.
  • The car was charged to 90% when I picked it up and had 1 mile on the odometer.
  • I found only a few issues: where the bumper piece meets the body and the headlights on both sides, there were small panel fit issues where the panels stick up about 3 mm above the hood, just enough that you can notice it and feel it with your finger, but it doesn't affect the operation of the hood or lights, so I didn't report it. It is just a small bend upward in the sheet metal where it meets the headlamp assembly.
  • The biggest issue is that the rear passenger door was installed slightly askew and you can see this in the panel gaps. The door opens and closes very easily, but the poor alignment causes the window operation to be very difficult for the window motor. It struggles to open or close the window and is clearly rubbing up against the door as it is moving the glass. This is the only issue I submitted a service ticket for. Much to my surprise, I was able to schedule a mobile service appointment just two days later at my house to get it corrected. That was not what I was expecting. If they can do more things mobile, that is huge for me since I live 2 h from the nearest service center.
  • I ordered my free mobile connector from Tesla on Saturday and still no shipping notification, so I have no way to charge at home right now. I tested supercharging at my local supercharger last night and it worked great. That should give me enough to last a week or so.
  • Overall, the process went better than I expected, given some horror stories and the Maplewood DC seems to be one of the better ones. They didn't seem too busy, so they had time to talk and their service department was able to act quickly to install the PPF and mud flaps on my car that they forgot to install in the four days my car sat on their lot. I got a service request and invoice while on my way up to pick up the car and I approved it about an hour before arriving. They had my PPF and mud flaps installed by the time I got there.
  • I had about four phantom braking/slowdown episodes on my way home, all on divided four-lane highways and interstate with other cars around, so that wasn't great. I thought they had improved that more. I was prepared for it and was able to recover. I used Autopilot most of the way home except it really struggled in construction zones, so I turned it off for that. Getting the lane change/autopilot off/autopilot on cadence took some time to perfect. If you use the full turn signal and not the 3 clicks one, it turns AP off, but leaves TACC on and then you change lanes and turn AP back on again.

Post-Delivery update:

I picked up my Austin-built car yesterday and drove it home about 100 miles. Here are my takeaways:

• The staff at the delivery center were very friendly, but knew almost nothing. For example, I asked if my car came with the mobile connector kit. He said they all do. Sure enough, as I expected when I got the email from Tesla with a $200 off coupon for charging, I had no charger in my car. Further, he said all Model Ys have been coming with matrix LEDs for a while now. That is not true and mine didn't either, even though it was built very recently. I stopped asking him any questions after that. He didn't even tell me I had 100 miles to report any cosmetic issues, luckily I knew that. He did recommend a great place to eat lunch in the area, though.
  • My car did not have matrix LEDs or the wood side panels on the doors that many have been getting this month. Oh well, not a huge loss.
  • My car did have the parcel shelf/cargo cover in the trunk, as maybe all Austin-built cars do?
  • I used the Git-hub-based delivery checklist. It took about 45 minutes. I think the checklist estimates 90 minutes.
  • The car was charged to 90% when I picked it up and had 1 mile on the odometer.
  • I found only a few issues: where the bumper piece meets the body and the headlights on both sides, there were small panel fit issues where the panels stick up about 3 mm above the hood, just enough that you can notice it and feel it with your finger, but it doesn't affect the operation of the hood or lights, so I didn't report it. It is just a small bend upward in the sheet metal where it meets the headlamp assembly.
  • The biggest issue is that the rear passenger door was installed slightly askew and you can see this in the panel gaps. The door opens and closes very easily, but the poor alignment causes the window operation to be very difficult for the window motor. It struggles to open or close the window and is clearly rubbing up against the door as it is moving the glass. This is the only issue I submitted a service ticket for. Much to my surprise, I was able to schedule a mobile service appointment just two days later at my house to get it corrected. That was not what I was expecting. If they can do more things mobile, that is huge for me since I live 2 h from the nearest service center.
  • I ordered my free mobile connector from Tesla on Saturday and still no shipping notification, so I have no way to charge at home right now. I tested supercharging at my local supercharger last night and it worked great. That should give me enough to last a week or so.
  • Overall, the process went better than I expected, given some horror stories and the Maplewood DC seems to be one of the better ones. They didn't seem too busy, so they had time to talk and their service department was able to act quickly to install the PPF and mud flaps on my car that they forgot to install in the four days my car sat on their lot. I got a service request and invoice while on my way up to pick up the car and I approved it about an hour before arriving. They had my PPF and mud flaps installed by the time I got there.
  • I had about four phantom braking/slowdown episodes on my way home, all on divided four-lane highways and interstate with other cars around, so that wasn't great. I thought they had improved that more. I was prepared for it and was able to recover. I used Autopilot most of the way home except it really struggled in construction zones, so I turned it off for that. Getting the lane change/autopilot off/autopilot on cadence took some time to perfect. If you use the full turn signal and not the 3 clicks one, it turns AP off, but leaves TACC on and then you change lanes and turn AP back on again.

Nice update thanks- I have no email for a charger coupon yet but since I am getting a Austin built MY LR in the next week (I think) in Minnesota, I suspect I will not get a charger either. Good thing I had already decided I wanted a dedicated charger in my garage and to keep one in the car (so I ordered a spare Mobile Connector to be my "full time charger" in my garage). If I get the $200 I may think twice about a wall charger. Bummer they were not very knowledgeable- haven't they been spending hours every week on YouTube and Tesla forums obsessing over every little detail?

FWIW- I ordered three times from the Tesla store and I got a shipping notice about 3-4 days after order and it took about 3-4 days to ship so that is three data points for how long it took to receive after order.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Has anyone received instructions on final payment options? I see on the app I can link a bank account but I know some of you are bringing certified checks. If the latter, who are you making the check out to?

Thank!
i am bringing in the Check. check payable to Tesla Inc.. memo column - your name and RN number... when you open your MVPA, go to the last page, they have the details..

Reactions: idocnj
5A9FA853-5668-4D20-BAEB-A9FAD225D103.png

Anyone’s app look like this? I think MVPA is supposed to show up here…