Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

October 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first Tesla I have ordered. I am very enthusiastic about Tesla as a company and as the manufacturer of great cars. I own Tesla stock. I just feel that their constant changing of estimated delivery dates is poor and the lengthy wait is wearing my patience thin. I am thinking about a number of options I as don't want to be one of the last to not get the 4680 batteries and also not get any potential federal incentive. If I have to wait, I want to make it more productive wait and insure that I at least get the new batteries.

But have you custom ordered previous cars or have you bought what the dealers had in stock?

For me, this is nothing new. We have custom ordered plenty of cars and I have done my research what goes into the process. We ordered a 2001 BMW 330xi that didn't get picked up by BMW until after the cut off. So the factory shut down for the usual European vacation and we ended up with a 2002 BMW 330xi. We ordered a 2016 Suburban and an item we wanted was on constraint( GM had a shortage of that part) so it took awhile for it to be assembled. My 2017 Camaro SS was custom ordered and it came relatively quickly because the dealer had an order in for a Camaro SS that was still in the stage that was accepted by GM, but could still be modified. The only difference between that experience and Tesla's is the dealer would always give you a generic, "6-8 week" statement and Tesla is a bit more transparent and gives you an estimate. I have no idea what that estimate is based off of, but I imagine it is based on demand, anticipated dates of when they would get the parts in to build your vehicle, etc.

I imagine the September jail a lot of people were in( myself included) was Tesla internally rescheduling and shuffling the planned orders based on Austin coming online.

RIght now Tesla isn't the only one dealing with parts shortages. I know a person that ordered a RAV4 Prime back in November and the dealer says it probably wouldn't be in until November of this year. The C8 Corvette is sold out for the next few model years( let alone the new Z06....)So everyones order books are backed up.

But you do you. If you want a 4680 and a federal tax credit( if it comes), the best advice I can say is to cancel the order. Tesla will not hold your current order. You're outside of the window of the order agreement to be able to hold it.

It could come down to what the plan is for the 4680s Fremont. Could save you a lot of trouble if they decide to convert Fremont over within your window.
I agree that the EDD changes now are probably being affected by the transition to 4680 MYs from Austin and how to handle MY orders with 2170 from Fremont. However, I feel that there is very little chance of getting the new 4680 MY from Fremont in my window - probably not until later this year or early next year. Knowing how it is being handled would be very helpful.

Not upset carpendj just tired of the never ending saga of trying to buy this car. I know it is in great demand and I really want one, but my patience is wearing thin. They must be trying to figure out how to handle the transition to 4680 Austin from 2170 Fremont without screwing too many people. In the process they may be creating many very disappointed people.

What was your original Estimated DD when you ordered? Are you already past this date? I am confused why you think you are being screwed with. You knew they had about a 6+ month back order when you ordered it. Unless you need a car ASAP why all the angst? and if you do need a car ASAP, why did you order a car knowing it had such a long back order?

I have ordered high demand cars before (2021 Kia telluride) and I much prefer the way Tesla handles it.

But have you custom ordered previous cars or have you bought what the dealers had in stock?

For me, this is nothing new. We have custom ordered plenty of cars and I have done my research what goes into the process. We ordered a 2001 BMW 330xi that didn't get picked up by BMW until after the cut off. So the factory shut down for the usual European vacation and we ended up with a 2002 BMW 330xi. We ordered a 2016 Suburban and an item we wanted was on constraint( GM had a shortage of that part) so it took awhile for it to be assembled. My 2017 Camaro SS was custom ordered and it came relatively quickly because the dealer had an order in for a Camaro SS that was still in the stage that was accepted by GM, but could still be modified. The only difference between that experience and Tesla's is the dealer would always give you a generic, "6-8 week" statement and Tesla is a bit more transparent and gives you an estimate. I have no idea what that estimate is based off of, but I imagine it is based on demand, anticipated dates of when they would get the parts in to build your vehicle, etc.

I imagine the September jail a lot of people were in( myself included) was Tesla internally rescheduling and shuffling the planned orders based on Austin coming online.

RIght now Tesla isn't the only one dealing with parts shortages. I know a person that ordered a RAV4 Prime back in November and the dealer says it probably wouldn't be in until November of this year. The C8 Corvette is sold out for the next few model years( let alone the new Z06....)So everyones order books are backed up.

But you do you. If you want a 4680 and a federal tax credit( if it comes), the best advice I can say is to cancel the order. Tesla will not hold your current order. You're outside of the window of the order agreement to be able to hold it.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions Quagmire2. I have only ordered a custom car some time ago and that was a Volvo. The wait was nothing like this. I am aware of the shortages of parts and the Austin situation. I am just trying to maximize what I perceive to be the most car for the large amount of money I will be paying for the MY. I also know that one of the options is to cancel and reorder at the current price - which I don't want to do. Rock and a hard place situation for me.

I agree that the EDD changes now are probably being affected by the transition to 4680 MYs from Austin and how to handle MY orders with 2170 from Fremont. However, I feel that there is very little chance of getting the new 4680 MY from Fremont in my window - probably not until later this year or early next year. Knowing how it is being handled would be very helpful.
there is zero real information on this.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions Quagmire2. I have only ordered a custom car some time ago and that was a Volvo. The wait was nothing like this. I am aware of the shortages of parts and the Austin situation. I am just trying to maximize what I perceive to be the most car for the large amount of money I will be paying for the MY. I also know that one of the options is to cancel and reorder at the current price - which I don't want to do. Rock and a hard place situation for me.

You have two options:

1) Take Delivery of the car you ordered at the time. Don't jump through hoops, don't try to manipulate delivery of an Austin Y, don't delay for mythical tax credits.

2) Cancel Order and reorder once your main wants are met( Tax credits and 4680 Y).

There is no delaying the order. Ship has sailed, Tesla changed the policy due to the BS that was going on with the tax credits, and you will be getting a Fremont Y.

IMHO, Option 1 is still the best. Tax credits I would say have a 25% chance of happening and dropping fast by the month( November I would say it is 0%....). The 4680 Y will bring nothing substantial to the consumer. 4680 is more of a benefit to Tesla due to cheaper and easier to manufacture. A Fremont Y with the 2170 is still a damn good vehicle and will hold the same resale value as a 4680 Y because the market will not discern between the two because it is the same model year and no major improvement the market will perceive.

You may be joking, but be warned that if you do that, there is a good chance Tesla will ban you from ever purchasing again as they have explicit policies against flipping cars for profit and have automated systems in place that flag accounts that do this. And once it happens, it is next to impossible to get it reversed because customer service is not a thing Tesla does, especially for things that aren't cookie-cutter. There are at least 2 folks who have posted here on TMC about finding themselves in this situation, and one of them has owned many Teslas and wasn't even trying to turn a profit but just sold their 5 seater a few months after buying it as they realized they would rather have a 7 seater, so they placed an order for the latter instead.
Yeah..I am only joking. That said I do not understand why Tesla would really care. They are in the market to sell vehicles. If I take delivery of my long range and long for the Performance, I see nothing wrong with ordering the performance and then selling my Long Range. If I actually did that and they banned me, they would lose a customer for life. I am not brand loyal and would just go elsewhere.

Yeah..I am only joking. That said I do not understand why Tesla would really care. They are in the market to sell vehicles. If I take delivery of my long range and long for the Performance, I see nothing wrong with ordering the performance and then selling my Long Range. If I actually did that and they banned me, they would lose a customer for life. I am not brand loyal and would just go elsewhere.

It's not unheard for hot ticket vehicles. John Cena got in trouble for selling his Ford GT when Ford had customers sign agreements to keep the vehicle for 1 year before they could sell them. They are doing the same with the F-150 Lightning. Now I don't believe Cena did it to flip it.

In a better note, GM also has also threatened dealers to not mark up the Corvette Z06. If they do, they will face reduced allocation of other higher margin products. For instance, they mark the Z06 up by $20K, not only does that dealer not get another Z06, they may also lose allocations to Suburbans and Silverado's that are high profit margin vehicles. Gain $20K in profit on one vehicle just to lose $50K.

What was your original Estimated DD when you ordered? Are you already past this date? I am confused why you think you are being screwed with. You knew they had about a 6+ month back order when you ordered it. Unless you need a car ASAP why all the angst? and if you do need a car ASAP, why did you order a car knowing it had such a long back order?

I have ordered high demand cars before (2021 Kia telluride) and I much prefer the way Tesla handles it.
I think that is why I am not too worked up about my EDD. Prior to placing my order in October it showed a projected EDD of June 2022. So I settled in for an 8 month wait. But with my current EDD it is ahead of schedule (Apr 8 - May 6). Now I am sure that will bounce around (I am on my 7th EDD) but at this point I am not too worried.

Reactions: cusetownusa
This is the first Tesla I have ordered. I am very enthusiastic about Tesla as a company and as the manufacturer of great cars. I own Tesla stock. I just feel that their constant changing of estimated delivery dates is poor and the lengthy wait is wearing my patience thin. I am thinking about a number of options I as don't want to be one of the last to not get the 4680 batteries and also not get any potential federal incentive. If I have to wait, I want to make it more productive wait and insure that I at least get the new batteries.
Honestly, if your order isn't too far off current MSRP, I would just cancel your order if you don't need a car urgently. I know prices have gone up across the board with cars (and other things) but the Tesla is quite overpriced at current MSRP for what you get IMHO. Tesla is making hay while the sun shines because they can produce a large number of EVs right now and demand for them is through the roof. Although much cheaper (especially once you factor in a $7500 tax credit) EVs are now out that actually compete reasonably well especially considering they cost a lot less than Tesla, they have a huge volume problem which is why Tesla can charge the price they are charging and still have a ton of demand.

But that is going to change over the next 2 years. Between competitors producing very capable and cheaper EVs, and Giga Austin ramping up production, and 4680 and other process improvements improving margins, price drops for Tesla vehicles are inevitable. Obviously you will also get any benefits of 4680 and other tech passed onto consumers.

I only have my order active because it is around $8K lower than current prices (April order, Oct profile completion) and that seemed a fair price for the MYLR at the time. If Tesla changed my order to current MSRP, I'd cancel right away. EV industry is taking off and the next few years are going to be fantastic for consumers and EV proponents!

I really do not understand why so many of you get so upset about delivery dates. It clearly says "Est Delivery'. Its just an estimate. There are far more important things in life than getting upset about a Tesla delivery date. I ordered mine Oct 1st and its been saying Est Delivery: Feb 15th - Mar 15th for a long time. Its just not that important to me. When its ready its ready.
For me, it's not a matter of being upset. I just don't happen to have 65K laying around. I have to move money around to be able to write the check. Them telling me on a Friday over the holidays that my previous-April delivery was going to be ready in three days is unmanageable. It is physically impossible to gather the funds on such a short notice.

My other option is to sell a bunch of stock and sit on it for months.

Reactions: 87v1q8riNK
For me, it's not a matter of being upset. I just don't happen to have 65K laying around. I have to move money around to be able to write the check. Them telling me on a Friday over the holidays that my previous-April delivery was going to be ready in three days is unmanageable. It is physically impossible to gather the funds on such a short notice.

Given that Tesla can ask you to take delivery of your vehicle at any moment (really) what are the financing timelines they are willing to hold the car for? I’m sure they know that it might take a few days to get it ready. Or they really want us to go with Tesla financing?
I guess the SA would always know.

Reactions: USC1996

Or, get a loan in the interim if it comes suddenly…and then pay it off when your funds are available.

This isn’t hard to figure out.

Or, get a loan in the interim if it comes suddenly…and then pay it off when your funds are available.

Lol, gotta love the Stockholm syndrome when Tesla has apparently normalized such terrible customer service and experiences that people feel the need to then turn it around and blame paying customers for Tesla's incompetence . How dare the customer have the audacity to not be prepared to take delivery of a car and make a payment for it in the span of a couple of days when Tesla can't even be trusted to have an EDD that makes any sense at any point in time along the buying process!

I really don't understand why people feel so defensive about a company with objectively terrible, inflexible customer service.

Lol, gotta love the Stockholm syndrome when Tesla has apparently normalized such terrible customer service and experiences that people feel the need to then turn it around and blame paying customers for Tesla's incompetence . How dare the customer have the audacity to not be prepared to take delivery of a car and make a payment for it in the span of a couple of days when Tesla can't even be trusted to have an EDD that makes any sense at any point in time along the buying process!

I really don't understand why people feel so defensive about a company with objectively terrible, inflexible customer service.
Used to manage a bank. Sometimes it takes a few days to get cash together. Sometimes you write a loan to cover the gap in time and then pay it off. Minimal cost - doesn’t hang up the schedule or create a conflict. I wrote several loans for similar reasons, for customers. Sometimes they wanted to jump on a deal and didn’t have the cash immediately in hand…so we wrote a loan that they later paid off when funds were available and they still bought whatever they wanted.

This is like the smallest molehill to die on. It’s not a big deal to get a loan and pay it off a week later - especially if you planned to pay cash at the outset.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
My EDD was initially March 2022, and now shows June 5th - July 6th. I read before that completing your profile doesn't change anything but as soon as I changed my profile from financing to Cash (few days ago), it now shows me a delivery date window vs just showing June 2022.
Replying to my own post. Woke up this morning and checked status.. No change. June 5th-July6th delivery. Later in the day I get a Text from Tesla saying my VIN was ready. I check the VIN and delivery is now within the next 2 weeks lol..

How desperate would someone have to be to get the car to do something like this? I want the car in April. That's why I ordered in October. If I wanted it in January, I would have ordered earlier. There's a hundred ways to raise funds on a moment's notice. That doesn't mean I want to go through the hassle/cost of doing it. I'm not trying to "figure out" how the get my hands on money. I'm trying to live a normal, stress-free life.

How desperate would someone have to be to get the car to do something like this? I want the car in April. That's why I ordered in October. If I wanted it in January, I would have ordered earlier. There's a hundred ways to raise funds on a moment's notice. That doesn't mean I want to go through the hassle/cost of doing it. I'm not trying to "figure out" how the get my hands on money. I'm trying to live a normal, stress-free life.
I’m in a similar situation. For many reason, I purposely waited until the EDD was April before I put an order in. Now my EDD is 2/17-3/17. Causes all types of inconveniences especially if my delivery date happens to be during one of the weeks I will be out of town.

Although, while it’s frustrating, I don’t really put full blame on tesla…it’s really just a symptom of such high demand and a massive order backlog. I’ve ordered in demand vehicles before (Kia telluride) and had a way worse experience trying to time delivery and get any type of reasonable estimate.

Hope it all works out for you.