Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Electric Universe app/card and public charge points

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And indeed it's also useful to open up the app and check well known chargers. I was used to having a pretty good deal on Engie chargers during my trips to France last year and on the last holiday. But during my last trip, the price per kWh on Electroverse had tripled, making it more expensive than using a debit card.
And now it's slightly lower again...

I have probably a half dozen cards in the armrest for the various providers, Shell, Electroverse, Chargepoint, Plugsurfing, etc... The only way to be sure to get the best deal is opening every app at a charging station and check who the cheapest is...
Gap in the market for a charge point price comparison site then. 😁 Simples.

Reactions: rumballd
Pretty sure Octopus have an agreed set price with the operator, the issue is some operators charge diff prices at different sites.

Some chargers are on a particular operators network but they are actually owned by and prices set by a 3rd party like your local council. The operator is just acting as a platform to take the money and start the charge.

Gap in the market for a charge point price comparison site then. 😁 Simples.
Tried a few ones like Chargeprice, pricing information doesn't seem to get updated in real time, and sometimes it's just plain incorrect... Market indeed for an aggregator with live pricing info and an arbitrage card that'll automatically select the best provider.

One nice feature for me this time of year is my solar export credit, which can be significant April through September, can be used to charge the car away from home as both my export credit and occasional non Tesla charging are on my Octopus bill. In a way it lets me take my house solar on the road. Of course that credit goes further if used at home but still handy.

Reactions: Oxid8ter
One nice feature for me this time of year is my solar export credit, which can be significant April through September, can be used to charge the car away from home as both my export credit and occasional non Tesla charging are on my Octopus bill. In a way it lets me take my house solar on the road. Of course that credit goes further if used at home but still handy.
Wait until you hear what you can do when you convert that credit into cash...

• Funny
Reactions: s_zigmond
Wait until you hear what you can do when you convert that credit into cash...
Is it already essentially cash. I export £70 of electricity a month, spring to autumn. So that goes straight onto my Octopus credit. But yes I could ask Octopus to refund me my account credit but it's easier to manage all my occasional non Tesla SC through electroverse and my Octopus account.

In addition I do have Octoplus points from my winter export under saving sessions, which is worth the following which could also be used to public charging via Electroverse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508-104301.png
    Screenshot_20240508-104301.png
    282.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I have one set next to me (Eurogarages).
their price stand shows £0.65 / kwh while Electroverse shows £0.37 / kwh (142 kw charger!). a proper bargain for fast charger on M42
View attachment 943250 View attachment 943251
This is fairly close to me and having just moved to Octopus Energy and got the Electroverse card, I thought "Great!" Checked the app and it's now £0.65p 🙁 Doubled in price in less than 12 months!

I've generally used electroverse in europe, but occasionally in the UK. I've generally found that the prices are at least cheaper than any other roaming RFID.
For Europe, sometimes rules aren't properly passed along - the rules at 3p/Minute after 2 hours, whereas octopus charge that immediately. Other times, those components aren't passed on at all. And occasionally they just don't charge at a particular charger and I get free spicy electrons.

It's interesting to see some "direct deals" which are cheaper, I guess I'll keep an eye out of that, but it does seem to be the exception not the rule

I've had one pretty much since day 1. Still got that £10 welcome credit too 🤣

I very rarely use public charging. My first year of ownership I had a few supercharger miles and years 2 and 3 I think i've public charged up to 10 times.

Couple times at a caravan park, card just wouldn't work at all. They were definitely chargeable points but something was wrong because after much unplugging/replugging, going into their app and messing about - they eventually started charging and I never ever got charged. 4 times now over 2 years.

We've got geniepoint at work. But they don't show up on the open network as its a private/secure car park. They are chargeable, allbeit at a slightly reduced rate. I think we pay about 42p a kw?

I've had to use those 3 or 4 times and sadly my card hasn't worked on those either. Doesn't even register. Guess they are alreay discounted so that is why.

There was one other charger I tried it at too, can't remember where. Didn't work then though.

One day I might get to use that credit!