Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy referral code please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
linky sent

I've been with Octopus for quite a few years and can still recommend. You have choice of Go or Agile and may be interested in their outgoing tarrif too that can be combined with Agile.

Go is fixed tarrif pricing but with a 4 hour overnight cheap rate at 5p/kWh.

Agile is dynamic pricing that changes every half hour - cheaper average during the day but a very expensive peak - so powerwall will cover that. However, as you have solar, for half the year, cheaper daily pricing it may not be as beneficial.

You will need to do your sums with expected usage patterns - not easy when you just got PV and powerwall. But Octopus fixed rate tarrifs do not have early exit penalty so you can swap if things don't look right.

Last edited:
Just has Solar PV array installed and Tesla power wall. Heard Octopus is a good provider for grid tied. Anyone can give me more information please?

Also after a referral code!

Thanks,

Chad (AKA Doobs)
Hi Doobreydoo,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I have been using Octopus without PV and just using their GO tariff for cheap (5p per kW/h) rate between 00:30 - 04:30. Their day rate is also reasonable.

Others use this as a opportunity to charge the power wall during the 4hrs. Others find the Agile tariff useful

Still stuck into a 12m E-on contract, but tempted to break the contract for the Go tarrif. Also have a old SMETS1 smart meter, so hopefully, they will upgrade it?? Anyone any experience of that (also a referral code would be appreciated)

thx

Still stuck into a 12m E-on contract, but tempted to break the contract for the Go tarrif. Also have a old SMETS1 smart meter, so hopefully, they will upgrade it?? Anyone any experience of that (also a referral code would be appreciated)

thx

If your SMETS1 meter is 'secure 100' smart meter then will work with octopus smart tariffs as it is. Otherwise, they will upgrade it to SMETS2 but might take some time.

Sent you a referral code in your messages :)

thx
As @tj333 says above, the SMETS1 meters that Octopus have used are the Secure 100. If you have one of those, happy days. If not, you’ll need Octopus to fit you new SMETS2 meters, which will likely be a problem at the moment due to restricted working.

Even if you can’t immediately move onto GO it might still be worth you moving, depending how much cheaper than your current tariff Octopus are. And remember, Octopus don’t have any exit fees.

Switched myself yesterday to Octopus Go tariff and it felt brilliant doing my 30 mile commute today for 44p :)

Roy W: You should have got my £50 referral fee now ;)
Thanks for that @Lupe. The freedom of never going to a petrol station is brilliant. Oh for a 30 mile commute at the moment - I don’t think I’ve covered 30 miles over the last two weeks during the lockdown! :)

thx
I'm sure you'll have had plenty of referral codes by now, but that doesn't stop me trying to answer your question...

I was also locked into a contract with a £30 exit fee (per fuel) and on a SMETS1 smart meter. I quickly did the maths though and it was FAR better to switch to Octopus Go even with the £60 hit. The £50 referral bonus obviously helps most of the exit fee.

You'll need to go onto one of Octopus' 'fixed' contracts to start with (which do not have any exit fees) and then you can switch to Go once you have an active smart meter. If they can't use your existing smart meter you can request a smart meter install when you're switched over to Octopus. However rang them once I joined and got a smart meter installed within the week (this was before the lockdown). Then 4 days later they switched me over to Go.

Absolutely no regrets moving - and if they're not up to it, then no fee to move from them. But the 5p for 4hrs is brill - and moving anything else you can to overnight only adds to the benefit (dishwasher is a prime example).

Nick

Reactions: Roy W.
Probably not the right time now but I got a smart meter prior to leaving my old supplier as that was much quicker than switching and then waiting for Octopus to do it

If it is an option and they are able to fit a SMETS2 meter then that is a good way to go.

The risk is that there are still some cases where SMETS1 are still being fitted, and unless it is a 'Secure' branded meter Octopus will not be able to use it until they finally manage to get the SMETS1 meters into the DCC system.

Frustratingly I was due to have my unsupported SMETS1 meter replaced by Octopus yesterday. They'd originally said a couple of weeks ago that appointments were going ahead as normal (but requesting customers to distance themselves), but since then they've cancelled all appointments except for vulnerable customers.

As a result I'm now stuck paying a slightly higher rate than the fix I switched away from, since I'd planned to get onto Go quickly, but in the grand scheme of things it's a very minor gripe in the current climate!

Although Octopus offers excellent value for us EV drivers with their off-peak electricity rates, there are cheaper gas suppliers.
Going for a dual fuel deal isn't necessarily the cheapest. Since Octopus do not charge exit fees it may be worth considering changing your gas supplier. Determine your annual gas consumption and check out who offers the best deal by using a comparison site.
I went to SO Energy for my gas which came in as the cheapest for me after a £40 referral was applied.