Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

During these Saving Sessions...

Do I also get my Smart Export Guarantee (15p).... in addition to the £4 per kWh

Just wondering if they clump it together, or if its seperate?
I got the impression from reading the FAQs that you won't get the 15p on top of the ludicrous amount we get for the event, but it's not very well worded....

Reactions: PITA
Upvote 0
Might we get another DFS this Friday? Very similar weather set up to today, with perhaps even less wind power available.

Thanks to you guys, I dug out the DNO paperwork for my solar/Powerwall a couple of weeks ago. I was under the impression my PW was not allowed to export. Turns out there is no such restriction, just a 6 kVA site export limit (PW still hobbled to 16 A thanks to G98). So after few email exchanges with Tesla, my app now has the "Energy Exports: Solar or Everything" option :cool:

Could be looking at £18 in export earnings this evening 🤘

Upvote 0
Might we get another DFS this Friday? Very similar weather set up to today, with perhaps even less wind power available.

Thanks to you guys, I dug out the DNO paperwork for my solar/Powerwall a couple of weeks ago. I was under the impression my PW was not allowed to export. Turns out there is no such restriction, just a 6 kVA site export limit (PW still hobbled to 16 A thanks to G98). So after few email exchanges with Tesla, my app now has the "Energy Exports: Solar or Everything" option :cool:

Could be looking at £18 in export earnings this evening 🤘

Good isn't it :D

Should make a good 'dent' in any battery storage ROI calculations.

Reactions: ringi
Upvote 0
I guess whether we will have many more events will depend a lot on how successful the next few are. From what I read, the test event on the 16th fell short of the requested load-shedding with Octopus being by far the most successful supplier. Are they marketing it more aggressively? Are Octopus customers more tech-savvy or "on the ball"? Who knows, but I found it interesting nonetheless....

Upvote 0
I got the impression from reading the FAQs that you won't get the 15p on top of the ludicrous amount we get for the event, but it's not very well worded....
Why wouldn't we get that? That's a standard part of the export tariff ..they aren't directly paying for the kWh in the saving sessions but giving you points (which yes you can credit to the account) but I would see these as distinct things.

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't we get that? That's a standard part of the export tariff ..they aren't directly paying for the kWh in the saving sessions but giving you points (which yes you can credit to the account) but I would see these as distinct things.
Yes, you're quite right. It's just that the FAQs don't seem very clear to me but you may be correct. I guess I'l find out next time I have an export "bill" generated...

EDIT: The FAQs state "Your export tariff won't be affected, only additional energy exported during the Session will be paid at the Saving Sessions incentive rate."
So on the one hand "Your tariff won't be affected" does indeed suggest we still get the 15p/kWh export. But then I'm not quite sure how to interpret the second half.
On balance I think you may be right and we still get the export tariff on top of the Saving Session bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: PITA
Upvote 0
The Outgoing Export rate still applies, the DFS is a bonus on top.

Today’s event is an all-provider Live one with peak grid demand forecast to be 44 GW.

I received 800 Octopoints for not being eligible through lack of readings.

Will take part anyway, might be able to argue in future that meets DFS criteria (60 day) even if not Octopus’ - presuming smart meter gets fixed.

Have a power cycle appointment on 11th Dec. Next year will be fascinating with the end of 2G/3G services.

Reactions: PITA and ACarneiro
Upvote 0
Next year will be fascinating with the end of 2G/3G services.
Interesting. I dont think that is set in stone though just like the ban of petrol by 2030. AFAIK this has been rumoured for years but with 4g being the only real alternative (5g is a bit of a pipe dream for most areas and requires allot of infrastructure to make it work)

There are still many things such a smart meters and cars that rely on the 3g network. Whilst I dont expect anyone will give a damn about the cars even though one would expect service for the life of the car, something as important/critical as a smart meter won't be as easy to shrug off and there are still many to be dealt with there doesn't seem to be much rush tackling older smart meters on 3g that still work.

Upvote 0
Adjusting Time-of-Use energy plan is the only way to get PW to export to grid (while that setting is enabled).

The tipping point for energy arbitrage is the buy price plus the export price at time of buying, having to be 2p less than the later sell price.
Interestingly, I can't seem to set my Export tariff to £4 for the Saving Session. I get the error "Invalid Prices: Sell price should not be greater than buy price for any period type"

Upvote 0
Interestingly, I can't seem to set my Export tariff to £4 for the Saving Session. I get the error "Invalid Prices: Sell price should not be greater than buy price for any period type"
Not sure if this is correct but it's how I set mine early this morning. If it matters, initially I set up the new mid-peak period at £4.00 in and out and saved it, and later changed just the import to the correct lower value.

IMG_D87CFDD23951-1.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Upvote 0