Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus go - Still available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My go tariff ends soon and I'm not sure if I'll go back on it at the new rate, I think it may be cheaper to stay on the capped tariff until the summer in the hope that things stabilise a little bit.
Mine ended earlier this week... and surprisingly it showed a "new tariff" that was identical to what I was on. I'm a few days in and the account is still showing the old pricing. Has happened to a few apparently, though not clear why.

Reactions: PITA
Mine ended earlier this week... and surprisingly it showed a "new tariff" that was identical to what I was on. I'm a few days in and the account is still showing the old pricing. Has happened to a few apparently, though not clear why.

Would this be because you did nothing... so it just rolled over without your agreement to any new rates?

Whereas, people who sign up to the new Octopus Go rates (not rolled over) but actively signed on a renewed contract, get the new rates?

Purely out of curiosity, have they generated a bill yet since it rolled over?

I'm heading into this territory myself.

Mine was the same. Due to end in December and I did nothing.

I've been getting billed. Just opened my most recent one. Everything is normal and it says price guaranteed until 24th Dec 2022

Gonna be a great xmas present when that expires...NOT lol

Hi all, does anyone know whether Octopus go is still accepting new customers?

I am finally getting around to ordering and typically it’s during an energy cost crisis and my best laid plans for cheap overnight charging may have gone up in smoke? I know that they have just put the cost up but I have seen some people saying they have closed it to new customers but can’t see anything in writing?

On that note at what cost do people think electricity would have to get to before running a model 3 is not as cheap as say a dirty diesel doing 45mpg?
I switched over to them back in October.

They stated that you have to start off on a Flexible tariff and then they will move you to Octopus Go the next day (or very soon after.)
It has been 3 months now, and they still haven't done it after countless phone calls with them trying to sort it.
As many have said, you need a SMETS2 meter, but I have the SMETS1 (With the promise they would upgrade mine as a priority as I have been waiting so long).
Quite annoying that they didn't state this to me on the phone when switching to them from British Gas.

My electricity bill is now through the roof charging a M3LR, as instead of 5p/kwh, I am paying 30p/kWh.

I called them the other day and they refunded £500 into my account without me even asking for it, so I don't think they are out to get your money for the sake of it. Most Energy providers would have never been willing to refund a certain amount on their own accord!

I would go to Octopus go if you have a SMETS2. If you have a SMETS1, avoid it for some time until they are all upgraded to accept other energy provider's connections.

I did nothing when mine 'ended' in November, and I seem to have stayed the old rates (13.96p/5p)...

Yeah, I think the Octopus Go rates changed on 4th January 2022... so I'm interested to see peoples rates on 'do nothing' renewals AFTER this date.

Screenshot_20220116-091440_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I switched over to them back in October.

They stated that you have to start off on a Flexible tariff and then they will move you to Octopus Go the next day (or very soon after.)
It has been 3 months now, and they still haven't done it after countless phone calls with them trying to sort it.
As many have said, you need a SMETS2 meter, but I have the SMETS1 (With the promise they would upgrade mine as a priority as I have been waiting so long).
Quite annoying that they didn't state this to me on the phone when switching to them from British Gas.

My electricity bill is now through the roof charging a M3LR, as instead of 5p/kwh, I am paying 30p/kWh.

I called them the other day and they refunded £500 into my account without me even asking for it, so I don't think they are out to get your money for the sake of it. Most Energy providers would have never been willing to refund a certain amount on their own accord!

I would go to Octopus go if you have a SMETS2. If you have a SMETS1, avoid it for some time until they are all upgraded to accept other energy provider's connections.
After 3 months waiting for a meter after moving (I was on Go at the old house and they moved the tariff without a meter) I emailed them saying give me a date or call me with cancellation details, and they called with a date. Stay polite on the phone with them but stay firm, they can make exceptions

Oh wow. If this happens to me too, i'll be relieved! I'll report back in two weeks..

Edit: on further thoughts, I've noticed that I have not received a 'your tariff is ending soon' email about electricity. Whereas I did have one a few weeks before my gas fix recently ended. Curious.

I have a SMETS1 'Secure' branded smart meter. It took about 3 weeks from switching to Octopus before I was eligible to move to go, but it wasn't difficult or a problem. Sorry that you are struggling.

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1 and PITA
In the Sunday Telegraph today there is an article that claims that the Money Saving Smart Tarifs are now more expensive than the standard variable tariffs.

When I contacted Octopus about moving to "GO" in april after my existing deal with Scottish Power ends they said, if I understood it correctly, "do nothing", stay where you are and do not sign up to a new deal. If and when Gas prices fall then deals will return.

Yes, and if Russia annexes the Ukraine they will never come down. I'm feeling gloomy this evening.

Yes, and if Russia annexes the Ukraine they will never come down. I'm feeling gloomy this evening.
With what has been going on for years, one must wonder how did "we" let it come to this?? ... This could be the real cold war in the making. I think I'll leave the chimney breast where it is for the moment and thank the government for greenbelt land and all those trees they've been planting as they might come in handy 🤨