Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus go - Still available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, does anyone know whether Octopus go is still accepting new customers?

I am finally getting around to ordering and typically it’s during an energy cost crisis and my best laid plans for cheap overnight charging may have gone up in smoke? I know that they have just put the cost up but I have seen some people saying they have closed it to new customers but can’t see anything in writing?

On that note at what cost do people think electricity would have to get to before running a model 3 is not as cheap as say a dirty diesel doing 45mpg?

Your best bet is to email Octopus directly, as there seem to be very different answers as to whether it is available or not. So may just depend on the customer assistant at the time.

I just looked at Tessie. I charged yesterday overnight and used a smidge of 19 kwh. Which cost me 0.96p At 0.05ppkwh

The equivalent in fuel would have been approximately £12.81 apparently. This is based on my 40mpg toyota, with prices at £1.40

So by those maths. It would have to be 13x more expensive. So 0.65 ppkwh

Which unfortunately doesn't seem like a million miles away from being possible. Hopefully diesel keeps going up to compensate lol

Reactions: adsheff
It’s definitely still available if you’re meter is compatible. Unfortunately I have an SMETS1 and they need SMETS2 currently. Although they’re making 1’s compatible.

They won’t upgrade the older meters either.

No idea if Go is still available. But at 5p/KW and 320W/mile average, thats 1.6p per mile, or 72p for 45miles, vs. £6.67 a gallon, thats almost a £6 every 45 miles saving.

I remind people that my commute to work is over £5 a day cheaper than them and they are unhappy

Reactions: pow216
No idea if Go is still available. But at 5p/KW and 320W/mile average, thats 1.6p per mile, or 72p for 45miles, vs. £6.67 a gallon, thats almost a £6 every 45 miles saving.

I remind people that my commute to work is over £5 a day cheaper than them and they are unhappy
I think more than the money, it is the emissions that is the key. Oil prices have fuel duty. And prices can go down to less than a pound (2019 prices) when the cartels or politicians decide. People should understand that pollution affects people, especially children and even dogs. It is madness that people are still allowed to idle and drive ICE cars slowly around schools and nurseries.

• Love
Reactions: pow216
SMETS1 is ok if it’s a ‘Secure’ branded one.

Go is still being advertised here although the rates have gone up recently. Now 7.5p overnight, which is a significant hike in %age terms, thought not as significant as the 100% increase over the rate I locked into in September!

As an Octopus Go heavy user... a 50% increase in overnight rates is very high.

But... in reality, going from £4 to fill my car, to £6 to fill my car... isn't going to worry me too much.

I noted that EDF are still charging 4.5p on their EV Tariff for 5 hours use (35p at peak rate)... but they have exit fees...

It's the Peak Rate price rise that's the killer... from 13.72p to 30p is a big increase. Enough for me to consider adding another Powerwall for next Winter (I wanted another one anyways, but this might push it through my man-maths)... if you can even get a Powerwall still...

Last edited:
The thing with go is that you need to consider your household usage and current prices so it’s not always a complete no brainer, particularly at 7.5p/30p now.

I’m fixed at 20p/kWh to 09/23 and my car usage is slightly lower than my household usage.

At 5p/25p go worked out to be £100 cheaper a year but I’d effectively loose the ability to charge at any time so I wasn’t in a rush to sign up. I’ve not calculated it at 7.5p/30p but I’d expect it works out more expensive.

You’d also need to consider what happens with your gas, switching that will be incredibly expensive. I think octopus want 8/9p compared to the 3p I currently pay to 2023.

The thing with go is that you need to consider your household usage and current prices so it’s not always a complete no brainer, particularly at 7.5p/30p now.

I’m fixed at 20p/kWh to 09/23 and my car usage is slightly lower than my household usage.

At 5p/25p go worked out to be £100 cheaper a year but I’d effectively loose the ability to charge at any time so I wasn’t in a rush to sign up. I’ve not calculated it at 7.5p/30p but I’d expect it works out more expensive.

You’d also need to consider what happens with your gas, switching that will be incredibly expensive. I think octopus want 8/9p compared to the 3p I currently pay to 2023.
At the prices you're paying I strongly suspect your energy provider won't make it to September 2023.

At the prices you're paying I strongly suspect your energy provider won't make it to September 2023.

Well it’s Eon so if they go to the wall, it’s probably the least of our worries.

How in the heck have you fixed those prices until late 2023?

Who with and then did you fix?
Eon and September 21 for 2 years. Basically the last fix Martin Lewis was peddling before it all hit the fan.

Reactions: fantasmagorica
It all depends when you got on board I guess. I switched over to Go again in the summer before things went crazy

1642250220500.png

Locked in till August next year