Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus go - Still available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the following question is right for this thread, if not, apologies.

Why is everyone going with Octopus vs EDF? is it EDF's exit fees?

Yes the standing charge for EDF GO35 is 36p on peak but 5 hours of the night, it's 4.5p, so that's 37 kwh of charge per night (7.4kwh charger) at 4.5p (£1.67 for roughly 110-140 miles) plus all the house hold electricity (6000kwh per year) (we have multiple fridge/freezers) so that's a bulk of our energy usage. I also have some electric floors, so I can time those to come on throughout the night. (yes I know that the charging isn't that simple so might not be 7.4kwh but I need to base off something)

Taking that Octopus is only 4 hours at 7.5p (29.6 kwh) £2.22 for 80-110 miles, the EDF tariff works out? (i'm ignoring the standing charge as it's negligible)
Currently I'm on variable EonFlex at 20p/kwh so I don't like leaping to 36p/kwh standing charge but taking I plan to do about 12-15k miles per (about 4000-5000kwh EV usage) year and charge 95% at home, the the 4.5p for 5 hours of the night seems like the right choice. Any tariff I switch to other than OctopusGo (30p/kwh off peak) is at the 35p/kwh mark anyway, and in April the variable flex tariff will probably jump to 30p/kwh+.

So based on (very basic math) I would be looking at £225 vs £375 for the EV car per year + the savings on the rest of the house usage.

So simply does the extra hour and 3p a kwh difference make up for the 6p price difference in off peak. I've done the math and technically it does, but I don't know if I'm missing something as Octopus seems to be the preferred for everyone?
I'll happily be corrected if I'm missing something.

Last edited:

Yes the standing charge for EDF GO35 is 36p on peak but 5 hours of the night, it's 4.5p, so that's 37 kwh of charge per night (7.4kwh charger) at 4.5p (£1.67 for roughly 110-140 miles) plus all the house hold electricity (6000kwh per year) (we have multiple fridge/freezers) so that's a bulk of our energy usage. I also have some electric floors, so I can time those to come on throughout the night. (yes I know that the charging isn't that simple so might not be 7.4kwh but I need to base off something)

Taking that Octopus is only 4 hours at 7.5p (29.6 kwh) £2.22 for 80-110 miles, the EDF tariff works out? (i'm ignoring the standing charge as it's negligible)
Currently I'm on variable EonFlex at 20p/kwh so I don't like leaping to 36p/kwh standing charge but taking I plan to do about 12-15k miles per (about 4000-5000kwh EV usage) year and charge 95% at home, the the 4.5p for 5 hours of the night seems like the right choice. Any tariff I switch to other than OctopusGo (30p/kwh off peak) is at the 35p/kwh mark anyway, and in April the variable flex tariff will probably jump to 30p/kwh+.

So based on (very basic math) I would be looking at £225 vs £375 for the EV car per year + the savings on the rest of the house usage.

So simply does the extra hour and 3p a kwh difference make up for the 6p price difference in off peak. I've done the math and technically it does, but I don't know if I'm missing something as Octopus seems to be the preferred for everyone?
A lot of the folks on here (me included) still enjoy much cheaper 'legacy' terms from Octopus. No doubt we will all be doing the same calculations as you in due course.

You also need to look at your energy use as a whole, including any gas.

I’m on a flat 20p/kWh until 2023 (no exit fee) and Octopus gas rates are 2.5x my current fix.

For me the electric is about break even but the gas is way more expensive. There is little point in moving the electric if there is not a substantive saving worth giving up a flare rate price for.

You also need to look at your energy use as a whole, including any gas.

I’m on a flat 20p/kWh until 2023 (no exit fee) and Octopus gas rates are 2.5x my current fix.

For me the electric is about break even but the gas is way more expensive. There is little point in moving the electric if there is not a substantive saving worth giving up a flare rate price for.
That makes sense, I've got Oil. So I only need to care about Electric.

Need some advice- I live in a mid terraced house at the bottom of a quiet cul-de-sac. I'm not having a home charger as I can charge for free at work but at times may want to use the 3 pin just every so often. I'm currently on a variable tariff with British Gas following a fixed tariff period ending. Cheaper to be on variable at the moment because of the rising energy costs. Would it serve me best to stick with what I'm on or move to an EV tariff? Or are they purely if you have a home charger? Thanks.

Need some advice- I live in a mid terraced house at the bottom of a quiet cul-de-sac. I'm not having a home charger as I can charge for free at work but at times may want to use the 3 pin just every so often. I'm currently on a variable tariff with British Gas following a fixed tariff period ending. Cheaper to be on variable at the moment because of the rising energy costs. Would it serve me best to stick with what I'm on or move to an EV tariff? Or are they purely if you have a home charger? Thanks.
Taking that 3 pin plugs are only 2kwh (I believe), I would say stay as is and keep an eye on overall cheap electricity tariffs rather than EV ones

I considered this as well but EDF force you into a high rate gas tariff as well. It is only dual fuel. On octopus you can stay on the variable capped gas and then worry about fixing later or ride the wave until things settle down.

In my use case, having a power hungry hot tub, it works out better for me on Octopus.

Reckon around 3500-4000kwh off peak and 5000-5500kwh peak.

Will have to look atwhat will happen with the gas, i just assumed it would stay with britgas

What I meant was that if you have a fixed rate, that could be on the basis that you have both fuels with them.

By moving the electric, you may inadvertently find the gas also exists that cheaper fixed rate. The SVR is also going up 50%ish in April so also consider that in the mix.

If the gas is in the SVR already when I don’t think there should be any impact.

See the posts above, in essence you need to estimate how much you’ll use of the night rate and the day rate , compare that to your current tariff and what happens in April when that goes up 50%.

Also consider any impact on gas as above if you have it.

You can use an EV tariff but when the 3pin only charges at 3% per hour on a LR then you aren't really going to see much saving over a short 4 hour period say with Octopus Go so there maybe better all round options to look at in your case.

I've decided to go with EDF GoElectric35, their off peak is almost 90% more than my current variable rate but taking in April rates are going to go through the roof that 90% will drop to 10-20% more by then anyway. Any fixed term contract I find (other than Octopus) is around the 35p mark anyway.
I don't mind locking in at that with the 4.5p for 5 hours which will more than cover the car charging + everything else running during that time. As that will put me on just over a penny a mile (best case) for the next 2 years.

What I meant was that if you have a fixed rate, that could be on the basis that you have both fuels with them.

By moving the electric, you may inadvertently find the gas also exists that cheaper fixed rate. The SVR is also going up 50%ish in April so also consider that in the mix.

If the gas is in the SVR already when I don’t think there should be any impact.

See the posts above, in essence you need to estimate how much you’ll use of the night rate and the day rate , compare that to your current tariff and what happens in April when that goes up 50%.

Also consider any impact on gas as above if you have it.
Our deal with British Gas ended so we are on SVR- I believe 20.076 elec and 3.983 for gas. we have only had the EV since december so trying to work out future use is tricky.
I did however try and get a quote from EDF, they quoted gas and elec and said I would have to go onto their standard rates until changeover to their EV tariff and quoted £3,155.32 a year. No thank you

I've decided to go with EDF GoElectric35, their off peak is almost 90% more than my current variable rate but taking in April rates are going to go through the roof that 90% will drop to 10-20% more by then anyway. Any fixed term contract I find (other than Octopus) is around the 35p mark anyway.
I don't mind locking in at that with the 4.5p for 5 hours which will more than cover the car charging + everything else running during that time. As that will put me on just over a penny a mile (best case) for the next 2 years.
1643640815591.png

do I miss something here on electric?!