Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Plans and renewals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update

Rang them up and at first they made no sense and just told me about my “current” Go Tariff. I told them I already know what I’m currently getting but what about this email with “new tariff quote”

The advisor then went onto say that the quotation in the email is for a fixed plan and NOT the Go Tariff. I explained that the link from my email took me straight to this page, even the advisor said it was misleading.

I asked them to spell it out and they confirmed that the only price going up, would be my gas unit and NOT the leccy.

I guess time will tell.

Update

Rang them up and at first they made no sense and just told me about my “current” Go Tariff. I told them I already know what I’m currently getting but what about this email with “new tariff quote”

The advisor then went onto say that the quotation in the email is for a fixed plan and NOT the Go Tariff. I explained that the link from my email took me straight to this page, even the advisor said it was misleading.

I asked them to spell it out and they confirmed that the only price going up, would be my gas unit and NOT the leccy.

I guess time will tell.
Nice. If so Ill be happy. However, I just bought over 100kg of coal with next summer in mind . Worst comes to worst, ill just make use f it through winter... Its exciting :D

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
The problem is that electricity is going up at the moment due to the silly way they set pricing.
The most expensive generator sets the kWh price... so gas generated electricity.
So all the wind-farms are cashing in at the moment.
Time for them to scrap this silly method of pricing. Perhaps it was when they were subsidising nuclear?

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k
Hi all…. Was with Peoples Energy until they collapsed. Being moved over to BG as SoLR on price cap. All the advice is do not bother switching. However as a new EV owner and charge point being installed next week I’m guessing switching is indeed the right option? If that’s the case I’m guessing Go is what I’d switch to, is it still easy to change to Go Faster to take advantage of some evening cheaper rate and can that be done straight away as soon as switch goes through?

Hi all…. Was with Peoples Energy until they collapsed. Being moved over to BG as SoLR on price cap. All the advice is do not bother switching. However as a new EV owner and charge point being installed next week I’m guessing switching is indeed the right option? If that’s the case I’m guessing Go is what I’d switch to, is it still easy to change to Go Faster to take advantage of some evening cheaper rate and can that be done straight away as soon as switch goes through?
I enquired about to faster last week and got a quick email reply with a link to a form. They said it would take a few days after it was submitted. I decided not to change at the moment as I would have the new day time rate (25p) rather than the old one (15p)

Reactions: Swall101

Once your meter readings are being received by Octopus.

Just a follow up about why electricity pricing is going up due to gas (From the OfGem site):

I'd heard this... that basically all leccy is priced at what Gas generated leccy is priced at. Seems fundamentally broken to me. I wonder if it's because the old fossil fuel burning generators didn't want to be undercut massively by Solar and Wind, and so rigged the system so they're all charged at the same rate.

Seems comical to me... but there you go.

So I’ve finally got BG to confirm account set up. So I’ve given Octopus a ring today and got to say I’m really not sure where the great customer service tag comes from! I’ve now spoken to 2 people thus far , the first said sorry but the rates have gone right up, yes I said but the 00:30 to 04:30 is 5p kWh right? (I’d already checked website for my postcode). No it’s 24p kWh for those hours, it’s gone right up. She wouldn’t budge! So put phone down and rung again. This time acknowledgement that I was correct on the 5p but I will have to go on interim tariff until meter’s read (I have smets 2 already). This however could be for a long time! Surely I said it’s a 3 week’ish period, no sir can’t say what it will be but you could be paying a lot more than your current supplier for quite a while! Again ended the call and contemplating ringing again…

It seemed to me like they have been given the instruction to be as awkward as possible and don’t take on new customers. Or is it a case of how the mighty have fallen and customer service has gone out the window!

Rant over!

Out of interest is anyone else with suppliers other than Octopus they would recommend for an EV tariff? Cheers

So I’ve finally got BG to confirm account set up. So I’ve given Octopus a ring today and got to say I’m really not sure where the great customer service tag comes from! I’ve now spoken to 2 people thus far , the first said sorry but the rates have gone right up, yes I said but the 00:30 to 04:30 is 5p kWh right? (I’d already checked website for my postcode). No it’s 24p kWh for those hours, it’s gone right up. She wouldn’t budge! So put phone down and rung again. This time acknowledgement that I was correct on the 5p but I will have to go on interim tariff until meter’s read (I have smets 2 already). This however could be for a long time! Surely I said it’s a 3 week’ish period, no sir can’t say what it will be but you could be paying a lot more than your current supplier for quite a while! Again ended the call and contemplating ringing again…

It seemed to me like they have been given the instruction to be as awkward as possible and don’t take on new customers. Or is it a case of how the mighty have fallen and customer service has gone out the window!

Rant over!

Out of interest is anyone else with suppliers other than Octopus they would recommend for an EV tariff? Cheers
Keep me posted on how you get on mate. I've been with People's Energy and have also been casted off to British Gas.
I take delivery of my M3 in around 4 weeks.

My thoughts and feelings are just deal with BG for a short period of time and when the rates finally start to come come down, switch.

Rant over!

getting my M3 at the end of the month and was looking and moving over to this. I think I will leave it if they can't even confirm the rates for their tariffs. They sound like a nightmare

To be fair to Octopus, one thing they do require is that you start off on a 'normal' tariff then switch to Go, rather than using Go from the start. I had a similarly confusing time when we first joined and found then very guarded about both the ability to, and the timescale for, a switch to Go. Their call centre staff could and should do better in explaining things properly.

getting my M3 at the end of the month and was looking and moving over to this. I think I will leave it if they can't even confirm the rates for their tariffs. They sound like a nightmare

It was truly shocking and not as portrayed, staff who pride themselves on customer service. I think I will just suffer staying with BG until energy markets start moving again. Hopefully by then they will all be fighting for our custom again. Typical, I get my first EV and then this! Lucky Eddie at your service :cool:

It was truly shocking and not as portrayed, staff who pride themselves on customer service. I think I will just suffer staying with BG until energy markets start moving again. Hopefully by then they will all be fighting for our custom again. Typical, I get my first EV and then this! Lucky Eddie at your service :cool:
Due to the energy cap and the price rises every the are literally losing money on each customer. If not now very soon. so they actually don't want new customers at present. Not sure if the Ofgen rules prevent them from just saying NO to new customers which would make more sense than just being difficult but maybe that is the case.

Bear in mind that Octopus Go is a beta smart tariff (note the word BETA) so they cannot guarantee that your smart meter will be suitable, work with octopus servers or have a suitable WAN coverage in your home/area. This is the reason why Octopus are holding new customers back because if they cannot get this Beta (notice that word again) system working from your smart meter you will go on the standard tariff which will probably be far more per a kilowatt/hr than you are presently paying with your present supplier. In the present pricing climate the call handlers are doing you a big favor by not letting you be a gunnie pig on what is effectively a Beta tariff program with an unknown depending on a few variables result.