Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus tracker tripled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been using a very high percentage of gas powered generation the last few days. That may have pushed prices up.

Has the price hit the price cap yet? Will be interesting to see how well that works in lessening the blow.

1677742111589.png

A couple of weird transient spikes in the overnight demand data.
1677742555192.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve taken a look on Marex (NBP All Day D.A) market data (where Octopus base their gas tracker prices from) and the prices there seem very similar to yesterday.

So I’m going to assume this is a bug on Octopus’s side, their account page is also down for me so it may be related. There’s no change on the wider gas market, this looks like an Octopus issue.

Wholesale prices for today look around 4.2p/kWh, once Octopus have added their charges and VAT should be around 5.82 (London)

It was an error as the day ahead price was not updated in the Octopus API by the time it normally is. They just fixed it as of 8am now and today’s price is at 6.11p.
Quite a scare though.

If you select any date in the future on the Octopus Gas Tracker page, you will have the same behaviour at around 15p but you shouldn’t trust that just now

Reactions: speedyranger74
Hi all I have gone onto the gas tracker but not sure if the electric tracker with two EVS will be my best option my go rates end and the new go rates sit at 42p and 12p off peak has anybody moved from there ev tariff and moved to the tracker based

Remember its the average over the month anyway

It's not, and it is... let me explain.
They need to provide a single figure for the bill, for the total... ie. this month you used 500kWh at 6.17p = £30.85

How do they get to 6.17p? They do a weighted average, for each day of how much you used at the price that day. Then they sum the usage, and the prices, and divide the one into the other to get the average price paid. This is shown on the gas page at the bottom, you'll note the total price worked out per day, and how that's then used.

So it's not an average over the month in the way you'd think (ie. we can ignore it for 1 day if it's 15p), you really should try and use less when the price is high, and or use more if it's low, because your usage coupled with the price is what you're billed for. As an extreme example, if you had zero use all month, when it was 5p a day, except for one day, which was 10p and you used it all then, your average price would be 10p, not ((29 x 0.05 + 0.1) /30) = 5.16p

It's not, and it is... let me explain.
They need to provide a single figure for the bill, for the total... ie. this month you used 500kWh at 6.17p = £30.85

How do they get to 6.17p? They do a weighted average, for each day of how much you used at the price that day. Then they sum the usage, and the prices, and divide the one into the other to get the average price paid. This is shown on the gas page at the bottom, you'll note the total price worked out per day, and how that's then used.

So it's not an average over the month in the way you'd think (ie. we can ignore it for 1 day if it's 15p), you really should try and use less when the price is high, and or use more if it's low, because your usage coupled with the price is what you're billed for. As an extreme example, if you had zero use all month, when it was 5p a day, except for one day, which was 10p and you used it all then, your average price would be 10p, not ((29 x 0.05 + 0.1) /30) = 5.16p
ah ok thanks for the explanation, this is helpful

Reactions: phil4
ah ok thanks for the explanation, this is helpful
You're welcome... when I told my dad to join he told me the same as you did. So I went and checked, and sure enough so had Ocoptus. I then spent far far too much time thinking about it. My first thought was "why?". As in if averaged as they suggested what the incentive to change your usage... and why on earth would you be interested in a daily figure? It was only when I looked closely at the bill I could see what they where doing, and indeed a likely reason why.

It wasn't you misunderstanding, Octopus misled you.

My wife asked to be put on the tracker last week and was told there is a 6 month wait list as they are only swapping 50 people a day. Anyone else been told this/ been able to switch in the last few days?

Yep, my dad was told the same, and sent me the email they sent stating that. I think there's too much profit in it for them leaving people on the Flexi tarrif paying twice as much (call my cynical).