Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus tracker tripled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It also mentions the waiting list on their website (Scroll to the bottom):-

Octopus Tracker

Interestingly it also states that you now need a Smart Meter that sends regular readings. This has changed as when I joined last month this was not a prerequisite. If you didn't have a smart meter (like me), you had to commit to submitting a meter reading every month so they could work out the average daily price for you. If you dont they could move you onto their SVR tariff without warning.

Reactions: InventEd and phil4
API still showing 15p for me :|

1681208816033.png

Reactions: rowedav
hmmmm

my tarrif is 10.12p at the moment.

I think I will make a call to Octopus.. once they will sort our my gas meter by end of May... or should I do it now?
I would change to Gas Tracker, its not been above 5.5p for me for about a month. Its flexible so you can always hop onto another tariff if it suddenly jumps high for a while

For anyone else considering Octopus Gas Tracker, so far in 2023 my overall bill totals are literally half what they would have been on the standard capped rate & vs what I paid Oct-Dec 2022. Recently most days have been below 5p kWh and the max I've seen was not much over 6p kWh.

It's a no brainer if you can get on the tariff and keep an eye on the daily rates (ie use an iPhone widget).

Reactions: Leejmoff
For anyone else considering Octopus Gas Tracker, so far in 2023 my overall bill totals are literally half what they would have been on the standard capped rate & vs what I paid Oct-Dec 2022. Recently most days have been below 5p kWh and the max I've seen was not much over 6p kWh.

It's a no brainer if you can get on the tariff and keep an eye on the daily rates (ie use an iPhone widget).
Yes, I moved onto it in February - this and combining with Flux ( solar) should hopefully end up paying me at least until end of December before reverting to Go/intelligent.

I'd love to switch to the tracker, but I've been on the waiting list for over 3 months already. Since that time, I would have saved something in the region of £550 in gas bills if I'd been able to switch back then... By the time I actually do switch, assuming it is 6 months, it'll be the height of summer and my gas usage will be next to nothing in comparison.

Has anyone seen an explanation from Octopus on why there's a waiting list & they are only switching 50 people at a time? If they can switch you to any other tarriff instantly, what could the reason possibly be other than making money out of people stuck on the variable tariff?

I'd love to switch to the tracker, but I've been on the waiting list for over 3 months already. Since that time, I would have saved something in the region of £550 in gas bills if I'd been able to switch back then... By the time I actually do switch, assuming it is 6 months, it'll be the height of summer and my gas usage will be next to nothing in comparison.

Has anyone seen an explanation from Octopus on why there's a waiting list & they are only switching 50 people at a time? If they can switch you to any other tarriff instantly, what could the reason possibly be other than making money out of people stuck on the variable tariff?
I'm guessing they've "hedged" a considerable amount of gas at a higher rate than the tracker is currently running at. They're not going to want to allow everyone on a much cheaper rate and make a loss.

Reactions: ringi
It may just be the workload in manually verifying a proportion of the auto calculations - my bill date is the 17th of the month & since moving to Tracker I receive two separate billing statements with averaging calculations for each monthly part of the whole. The rates shown are before 5% VAT is applied to the total.

17 Mar - 31 Mar:
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 17.57.47.png

1 Apr - 16 Apr:
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 17.58.16.png

Yes, same for me, I saved £120 in the first month. Ping Octopus via Twitter or call them up. The Shortcut advice is fantastic. Getting that daily price is great.

Reactions: Zilla91
After a couple of emailed prompts asking about Tracker, Octopus told me, a few weeks ago, that ‘Flexible Octopus’ (the standard variable rate gas tariff) was the only one they were offering. Currently 10.2p/kWh.
ummm.. strange.

I just got an answer on Twitter and joined the waiting list

Good afternoon,

You can of course apply to our tracker tariff.
https://octopus.energy/smart/tracker/

Tracker is a beta product, built to give customers the experience of 'smart' wholesale energy pricing. At any time, Tracker prices can spike up to three times higher than a typical home pays. It was designed for customers who can avoid large amounts of energy on those expensive days.

If you join the waitlist, We'll allow 50 eligible customers onto the tariff every day, and the wait to join is currently around six months.

have you tried to follow the link and enter the waiting list?

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger