Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I've got a (hopefully) simple question! My in laws have got a smets1 smart meter and I've done a quick search and seen mention that it's just an OTA update to make them smets2 compatible, is this correct and if so how do you get it done? I'm thinking agile may be good for them but worried they may get stuck on a not very competitive tariff while they wait for the change?!

Hi, I've got a (hopefully) simple question! My in laws have got a smets1 smart meter and I've done a quick search and seen mention that it's just an OTA update to make them smets2 compatible, is this correct and if so how do you get it done? I'm thinking agile may be good for them but worried they may get stuck on a not very competitive tariff while they wait for the change?!

Agile works with SMETS1 - I have Smets 1.

Reactions: m3gt2
Agile is good if you can totally avoid using grid electricity between 16:00 - 19:00 and is brilliant if you can maximise your usage during the cheap and plunge pricing periods.
Since the lockdown agile has been an amazing bargain but if you look historically over the last year you have to box clever to make it pay.
Your in-laws may be better with an octopus tracker - good rates without the hassle.

The good news is that with no exit fees there is no penalty for changing the tariff if it doesn't suit you.

DM me for £50 off!

Reactions: Roy W. and m3gt2
Agile is good if you can totally avoid using grid electricity between 16:00 - 19:00 and is brilliant if you can maximise your usage during the cheap and plunge pricing periods.
Since the lockdown agile has been an amazing bargain but if you look historically over the last year you have to box clever to make it pay.
Your in-laws may be better with an octopus tracker - good rates without the hassle.

The good news is that with no exit fees there is no penalty for changing the tariff if it doesn't suit you.

DM me for £50 off!
Thanks, do you know a website or have a list of prices over the last year? They aren't big users of electricity as they are away 3-4 months of the year normally and the shower/cooker/heating etc is all gas. What is an octopus tracker? Sorry I don't fully understand everything with octopus as they have some very unusual plans!

Also yes I will DM you if they decide to go with octopus

Sadly for me the only thing I have on my electrical circuit is the car, and it's already charged to 61%. :(

Is there any way to fool an EV charger to charge nothing at all? :D
The 4.5 hours is worth about 40% in your battery so you can use most of it to get to 90%. You could also run the heater/cooler to burn some more electricity if you were so inclined

Thanks, do you know a website or have a list of prices over the last year? They aren't big users of electricity as they are away 3-4 months of the year normally and the shower/cooker/heating etc is all gas. What is an octopus tracker? Sorry I don't fully understand everything with octopus as they have some very unusual plans!

Also yes I will DM you if they decide to go with octopus
Direct tracker link - Introducing Octopus Tracker: Britain's fairest energy tariff
or go to Octopus Energy put the post code in and search for "tracker" to see what the prices are which change daily.

You don't need a smart meter for the tracker tariff and supposedly when you provide a meter reading from a dumb meter they average the kWh price for the period of the reading and charge that amount

Reactions: m3gt2

DM me for £50 off!
Well it looks like the smart meter they have isn't compatible as it doesn't have the secure logo on it. I'm thinking the tracker tariff may work until they could get the meter changed/updated.

Thanks, but probably not very reliable and over complex. For personal use, mpan etc is pretty static, but for generic use, not so useful.

This one? Octopus Energy

To get there, you will probably also need to login to the account using login/password and persist the session token from that login. Then Octopus just need to change the page to make scraping unreliable. You have to scan the whole DOM and parse the text for known because (unsurprisingly), no ids on the elements to make it easy.

fwiw, this is all in python.

I can see this becoming data driven for my own project, jury our on generic solution.

I wonder how this one works then?

Octopus Comparison

It only requires API key and account number. So I don't think possible to get to the developers page.

I've forgotten exactly what it compares, but somehow its going to need to get a GSP for regional tariff code info. Its probably obvious, but the only way I can think of is guessing a location from the IP address, which doesn't work very well.

Oddly, it requires the account number, and there is nothing documented for public use in the api that takes an account number

On Go Faster and just been contacted to say that on Sunday between 5am-7am electricity is -5p/kWh or 2pm-4pm -2p/kWh. Have to chose one or the other.
Car will be charging, dishwasher on, washing machine on twice between 2-4pm. Will probably save about a quid but a nice feeling all the same.

I've forgotten exactly what it compares, but somehow its going to need to get a GSP for regional tariff code info. Its probably obvious, but the only way I can think of is guessing a location from the IP address, which doesn't work very well.

Oddly, it requires the account number, and there is nothing documented for public use in the api that takes an account number

I think you will find that the account number is prefaced with the regional tariff code...

... but in any event there is also a lot of information which can be retrieved using the 'accounts' end-point...

You really should join the Octopus Agile forum, Jakosaur who developed that webpage is there along with the developers of most of the other Octopus related website, apps etc.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: NewbieT