Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer mileage upon delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought "burn-in" had to do with the electronics. I assumed they would just power the car up and leave it for x hours, not drive it around for 25 to 100 miles. That amount of driving the car around "burning it in" must add a lot of time to the manufacturing process (and ultimately cost).

I'd assume they would burn in the electronics before actually installing them into a car. Pulling out the dash to replace chips seems very time consuming to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather not get a new car with just a few miles on it. That indicates that the QA process of thoroughly testing the driving dynamics of the final product was skimpy at best.

My understanding of the way QC works in manufacturing is that over time the sizes of the stamped parts change until they are over the tolerance (mostly due to wear on the die or creep in the settings). Good quality control in an ongoing production line tests one or two items in a batch very carefully and the rest minimally. This allows the the dies to be replaced before any items go over tolerances and have to be scrapped. Once the item is assembled a few get rigorous testing and the rest get basic testing.

This isn't a lot different than making popcorn in a microwave. At first you watch the popcorn very carefully to insure it doesn't burn. Once you are familiar with the time it takes for your microwave to pop the popcorn, you only check occasionally to insure that neither the microwave's output nor the popcorn has changed.

No other car we have bought before was produced from clean sheet of paper to finished product in less than four years, nor assembled in a factory that went from rats and puddles to gleaming white and red production line in 2+ years!

I'm not sure what the correlation is between this and having a new car delivered with (up to) 100 miles on the odometer. I'm curious as to what they're doing with the cars to put those miles on. I'm not saying I necessarily have a problem with it... just curious. As jerry33 says, electronics burn in should be before components are even mounted.

I wonder if this was something they did with early production cars (like the Sigs) to ensure the quality of construction?

When mine (VIN 112) was delivered, it had 97 miles, and the paperwork said 150. I asked about it, and was told they put 150 on all of them for testing. He seemed pleased to see only 97 on mine and said they must be improving things at the factory. So I did suspect they were really just "making sure" and shaking all the bugs out, and the number should fall as their manufacturing process matures.