Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer on instrument cluster!

How hard is it for someone with 24/7 remotely access to our vehicle to add miles to the odometer?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I would like to see my odometer every time I look at my instrument cluster, not hidden somewhere in the menu!
I never looked at the odometer and after 2 years I collected 43,000 miles which I think is impossible, I don't think it's my real number! Before our Model X, the wife put 50,000 on her Lexus in about 10 years! I know we use Tesla more than the Lexus before but even if I double that number of miles it still doesn't give me 43,000 in 2 years !!

OK, I would like to see my odometer every time I look at my instrument cluster, not hidden somewhere in the menu!
I never looked at the odometer and after 2 years I collected 43,000 miles which I think is impossible, I don't think it's my real number! Before our Model X, the wife put 50,000 on her Lexus in about 10 years! I know we use Tesla more than the Lexus before but even if I double that number of miles it still doesn't give me 43,000 in 2 years !!
it's easy to overwrite miles on odometer, it's just a value stored in sqlite db.

that said I was surprised how much more I am driving my Teslas. You can use tools like teslamate or services like teslafi (if you don't want selfhosted which you should be wanting!) - to track mileage addition (so too late for past mileage but going forward you'd be able to see your trips in detail over time).

On a graph like that you'll see unexplained huge increases if somebody tampered with your odometer.

In theory it should be possible to request a graph like this from Tesla.

upload_2020-9-26_1-24-54.png

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah and gaswalla
How can it be selected in settings? I think you're confusing Trip with Odometer.

You could just check the checkbox next to Odometer for it to show in Trip display? Although you should know how much you drive and 43000 miles in 2 years is a lot and you will definitely know if you drove that much. I don't think someone would mess with your odometer, but maybe a software glitch? I would take it in to service to check it out... they probably have some logs or something they could check.

it's easy to overwrite miles on odometer, it's just a value stored in sqlite db.

that said I was surprised how much more I am driving my Teslas. You can use tools like teslamate or services like teslafi (if you don't want selfhosted which you should be wanting!) - to track mileage addition (so too late for past mileage but going forward you'd be able to see your trips in detail over time).

On a graph like that you'll see unexplained huge increases if somebody tampered with your odometer.

In theory it should be possible to request a graph like this from Tesla.

View attachment 592381
Perfect, thanks for the info!

How hard is it for someone with 24/7 remotely access to our vehicle to add miles to the odometer?
From your title, did you give your car to any shop who might had access to your car, except may be a Tesla Service center?

Or did you shared your Tesla account password to let any cloud App to access your car?

I never looked at the odometer and after 2 years I collected 43,000 miles which I think is impossible, I don't think it's my real number! Before our Model X, the wife put 50,000 on her Lexus in about 10 years!
I know we use Tesla more than the Lexus before but even if I double that number of miles it still doesn't give me 43,000 in 2 years !!
The first thing I would do is to get a Digital Tire Tread Depth Gauge Tool to determine how much your tires are worn out.
May be not the most precise measurement but can remove some doubts in one way or another.

51Vwno2XRDL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Now, its not impossible to update a car odometer. Some mechanics would reset it for example after replacing an engine.
However, some unscrupulous used car sales person might use it in their advantage...

Looking at some Youtube videos, it seems that the genuine mileage might be still available but I don't know about Tesla cars.

If you keep service visit invoices or rotate your tires regularly then you can verify whether or not the 43K miles is reasonable or not.
I guess you can only see that "reasonable" if someone adds thousands of miles overnight, which I don't think will ever happen but.... for example: it can be a daily percentage or a wheel size setting! I don't know how Tesla calculates the distance traveled, but I do know that at the same number of revolutions, a bigger wheel travels a greater distance than a smaller wheel! Maybe it's just a software glitch as Need said above!
All I know is that I'm watching the numbers now.

From your title, did you give your car to any shop who might had access to your car, except may be a Tesla Service center?
Or did you shared your Tesla account password to let any cloud App to access your car?
The first thing I would do is to get a Digital Tire Tread Depth Gauge Tool to determine how much your tires are worn out.
May be not the most precise measurement but can remove some doubts in one way or another.
Great idea with the Tire Tread Depth Gauge. I don't have one but I buy it. Thank you!