Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my recent 2000 mile round trip to Southern California, I absolutely needed my CCS adapter twice. Once in Nevada and once at my destination in CA.

I guess I could have added 2-3 extra days to my trip, but for the crazy expensive hotel costs, I could have bought 3 adapters...
Yup, when you need the adapter, it's 'priceless'.

Well, TX and now WA are requiring charging stations to have both CCS and NACS. So looks like the ROI for a CCS adapter is getting worse every day. The only people getting their money's worth are those who use it to get free charging from the CalTrans stations.
Going forward, that might be true, but it will be several years before the existing CCS1 network is converted to NACS.

I do see many non-Tesla stations with NACS in LA and SD but probably not the place you said you needed it. What I am saying is that if you are considering getting one and don't foresee using it much, the ROI is debatable.
I understand that. It's just that I think we are a long way from buildout even for CCS, and if you travel even a short distance from population centers, even in California. the pickings get very limited. Maybe it won't be so much of an issue in 3 years, but for now I think the CCS adapter is a great deal. Especially if you are CCS enabled already.

Reactions: DuncanM
I do see many non-Tesla stations with NACS in LA and SD but probably not the place you said you needed it. What I am saying is that if you are considering getting one and don't foresee using it much, the ROI is debatable.

Most likely they are EVgo stations with the built-in Tesla CHAdeMO adapters, so not true NACS plugs.

Perhaps shop around, others make the same CCS adapter Tesla sells:

Something about plugging high voltage power into a $50K+ car makes me think I might spend the extra $90 and buy the actual Tesla CCS adaptor.

Of course, the overall ROI argument probably is more related to getting an older vehicle updated (some 2019 and prior models). But with the Tesla OEM adaptor (and warranty I imagine) only $175 I think I'd probably go down that path.

I'm still hoping older models will be able to get a CCS update AND adaptor for ~350-400$ all in, I think that's probably still worth it for a traveller type.

Something about plugging high voltage power into a $50K+ car makes me think I might spend the extra $90 and buy the actual Tesla CCS adaptor.

Of course, the overall ROI argument probably is more related to getting an older vehicle updated (some 2019 and prior models). But with the Tesla OEM adaptor (and warranty I imagine) only $175 I think I'd probably go down that path.

I'm still hoping older models will be able to get a CCS update AND adaptor for ~350-400$ all in, I think that's probably still worth it for a traveller type.

If you are worried about quality of a '250 kW' adapter, run it about half its rating. Should be no problem for Model 3 RWD that tops out at 175 kW but only for a short period. Plus, it's not a $50K car.

With Model 3 LR AWD, probably better to get the Tesla CCS adapter.

Aren't they charging $450 for the retrofit and adapter for the Model S and X. I expect it to cost the same for the Model 3 and Y as well.
While certainly possible if not probable, it’s very common for an OEM to have a different pricing across say an entry line, mid line and top line model - for the EXACT SAME PART. Not skewed by premium paint, etc. Same goes for time estimates for installation…can be different for some issue and part installation across model lines even when the model line doesn’t t dictate more time is required.

Not saying thats going to happen, but it does happen.

If you are worried about quality of a '250 kW' adapter, run it about half its rating. Should be no problem for Model 3 RWD that tops out at 175 kW but only for a short period. Plus, it's not a $50K car.

With Model 3 LR AWD, probably better to get the Tesla CCS adapter.

Even that chart shows it “tops out” above 175 KW, I certainly get the full 250 kw (~1090 m/hr) for ~7-10 minutes from very low SOC, and hold well above 150 KW For much longer than that.

Most CCS chargers which can deliver up to 350 kw, seem to only give a max ~ 190 kw to a Tesla, although I think there is something about a 2018 M3 LR that is optimal, but I doubt I‘d get more than what others have gotten at 190 kw max.

Even that chart shows it “tops out” above 175 KW, I certainly get the full 250 kw (~1090 m/hr) for ~7-10 minutes from very low SOC, and hold well above 150 KW For much longer than that.

Most CCS chargers which can deliver up to 350 kw, seem to only give a max ~ 190 kw to a Tesla, although I think there is something about a 2018 M3 LR that is optimal, but I doubt I‘d get more than what others have gotten at 190 kw max.

For the Model 3 LFP, since you are not preheating the battery, you will not get that high rate on initial charge and will probably never see >125kW. 1/2 the current, 1/4 the heat - or something like that. Problem solved!

Last edited:
For the Model 3 LFP, since you are not preheating the battery, you will not get that high rate on initial charge and will probably never see >125kW. 1/2 the current, 1/4 the heat - or something like that. Problem solved!
Probably true, but that car is most likely not a car in need of a “retrofit” having CCS enabled from purchase.

come to think of it, this entire thread probably predates the release of LFP battery equiped cars.

that said, MAN if that is true that these first LFP equipped cars simply cannot access the full power of a 250 kw supercharger or even a 150 kw supercharger, I wonder how many people buy that car for the savings or possibly better battery management and realize that they may end up spending 50-100% more time at a supercharger charging? Is it detailed anywhere by Tesla that this car is crippled in that way?

• Disagree
Reactions: pdx_m3s
that said, MAN if that is true that these first LFP equipped cars simply cannot access the full power of a 250 kw supercharger or even a 150 kw supercharger, I wonder how many people buy that car for the savings or possibly better battery management and realize that they may end up spending 50-100% more time at a supercharger charging? Is it detailed anywhere by Tesla that this car is crippled in that way?
No, they are not crippled. Smaller batteries can't take as much charging power. Every Tesla with a smaller battery has a lower maximum kW it can charge at than the larger batteries, and yes, they list the details in the specs section on the web site. Like here for the Model 3 RWD:

1688136021855.png

And no they don't need to charge 50-100% longer, partially because they are more efficient. (The charge curve is also different.)

For example in a 15 minute charge starting at 10% the:
  • Model Y LR gains 98 miles of range when driven at 80 MPH.
  • Model 3 RWD gains 106 miles of range when driven at 80 MPH.
(They haven't done that particular test on a Model 3 LR yet, but the Model 3 LR only has 3 more miles of rated range than the Model Y LR, so I expect the results are comparable.)

Last edited:
Reactions: GtiMart and DuncanM