Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who did your own upgrade, how long before the Tesla web store allowed you to order the CCS adapter? Or did you get it some other way?

i did the self install retrofit, and i already had the CCS adapter from facebook marketplace when tesla started selling theirs...but my car showed it as being available immediately. seems as soon as the car shows that CCS is enabled (which it will as soon as you do the software install after installing the new ECU), it should allow you to buy it.

Reactions: ProphetM
I got mine a while ago but I don't think I'd bother today. The main reason before was that CCS stations would often be significantly cheaper than superchargers. But that's not really the case anymore

real world experience in vegas on a holiday weekend: all superchargers on or near the 15 and strip were full, with wait. i stopped at an EA station, plugged in with the CCS adapter, and 15 mins later i had enough juice to get to the next supercharger along my route home (primm) without having to wait around for a supercharger spot to open up.

as they open the supercharger network to ford and whoever else, there is a very real "real world" potential benefit beyond just "it might be cheaper."

i did the self install retrofit, and i already had the CCS adapter from facebook marketplace when tesla started selling theirs...but my car showed it as being available immediately. seems as soon as the car shows that CCS is enabled (which it will as soon as you do the software install after installing the new ECU), it should allow you to buy it.
It was maybe 30 minutes after the software reinstall finished when I posted, and it had not yet enabled for me then. So I headed to bed and by the time I got up about 4 hours later it had caught up and I was able to order.

Reactions: crackers8199
From the NACS specs: https://tesla-cdn.thron.com/static/...Technical_Specification_TS-0023666_HFTPKZ.pdf

1687009427152.png

The Tesla Supercharger protocol uses CANbus, while CCS uses PLC, power line communication and ISO-15118.

From the NACS specs: https://tesla-cdn.thron.com/static/...Technical_Specification_TS-0023666_HFTPKZ.pdf

View attachment 947821

The Tesla Supercharger protocol uses CANbus, while CCS uses PLC, power line communication and ISO-15118.
Mike,

Do we know if all V3 Superchargers installed in North America support CCS PLC communication today? Is that the basis of supporting Ford and GM vehicles with adapters at "12,000 Superchargers"?

I assume there is little to no chance of supporting non-Tesla vehicles on V2 and earlier Superchargers.

Do we know if all V3 Superchargers installed in North America support CCS PLC communication today? Is that the basis of supporting Ford and GM vehicles with adapters at "12,000 Superchargers"?

We don't know for sure, but I think it is a safe assumption.

I assume there is little to no chance of supporting non-Tesla vehicles on V2 and earlier Superchargers.
I agree, though it is possible, as there are some V2s in Europe that are open to all CCS vehicles.

Is this your expectation for fast chargers in North America for the foreseeable future?
  • 12,000 existing Tesla Superchargers and all new ones will support CCS PLC protocols over NACS connectors.
  • That will handle upcoming Ford & GM EVs (et al) that have NACS charge ports and existing Ford & GM EVs via an adapter.
  • It will identify the vehicle for billing (as NACS CANbus does) to save time fiddling with the app. (Faster for both drivers and charge stations.)
  • Future Tesla Superchargers will continue supporting Telsa CANbus protocols over NACS for Tesla EVs.
  • Most/all other charging networks will support CCS PLC protocols over NACS but not Telsa CANbus protocols.
It's a clever unification with the complication of combinations where a NACS plug will fit into the charge port but not work.

They should put clear names (or color codes) on the 3 types of NACS plugs and 3 types of NACS charge ports (or more, with V2X).

Reactions: DrGriz and MP3Mike
We don't know for sure, but I think it is a safe assumption.

I agree, though it is possible, as there are some V2s in Europe that are open to all CCS vehicles.
The V2 stations in Europe that have dual cables obviously had to have a CCS communication board added with the CCS cable.

Adding the CCS communication capability when the connector is the same is not nearly so obvious.

Well, TX and now WA are requiring charging stations to have both CCS and NACS. So looks like the ROI for a CCS adapter is getting worse every day. The only people getting their money's worth are those who use it to get free charging from the CalTrans stations.
On my recent 2000 mile round trip to Southern California, I absolutely needed my CCS adapter twice. Once in Nevada and once at my destination in CA.

I guess I could have added 2-3 extra days to my trip, but for the crazy expensive hotel costs, I could have bought 3 adapters...

Well, TX and now WA are requiring charging stations to have both CCS and NACS. So looks like the ROI for a CCS adapter is getting worse every day. The only people getting their money's worth are those who use it to get free charging from the CalTrans stations.
CCS retrofit will still be needed to use third party NACS stations due to different signaling

On my recent 2000 mile round trip to Southern California, I absolutely needed my CCS adapter twice. Once in Nevada and once at my destination in CA.

I guess I could have added 2-3 extra days to my trip, but for the crazy expensive hotel costs, I could have bought 3 adapters...

I do see many non-Tesla stations with NACS in LA and SD but probably not the place you said you needed it. What I am saying is that if you are considering getting one and don't foresee using it much, the ROI is debatable.