Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are they charging? For their charging that is!
I'm on their $4/month premium plan and I was billed .31cents/kw until March when the rate went up to .36 cents/kw. Our home in AZ is in rural SE Arizona near the NM state line and there are EA stations in Lordsburg NM (closest to our home) and at the Walmarts in Deming NM and Benson AZ, and these are conveniently located for shopping.

We also have property near Bellingham WA, and they have EA. EVGO and EVCS stations in the city but no Tesla SCs. My last public charge was at the EA station located in the Fred Meyer (north) parking lot in Bellingham WA.

Rural BC has a large, and expanding, network of BC Hydro CCS1 chargers; most small towns in the southern half of the province now have access to at least one BC Hydro 50 or a paired 50 and 100kw DCFCs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dfwatt and GleanerC
I'm on their $4/month premium plan and I was billed .31cents/kw until March when the rate went up to .36 cents/kw. Our home in AZ is in rural SE Arizona near the NM state line and there are EA stations in Lordsburg NM (closest to our home) and at the Walmarts in Deming NM and Benson AZ, and these are conveniently located for shopping.

We also have property near Bellingham WA, and they have EA. EVGO and EVCS stations in the city but no Tesla SCs. My last public charge was at the EA station located in the Fred Meyer (north) parking lot in Bellingham WA.

Rural BC has a large, and expanding, network of BC Hydro CCS1 chargers; most small towns in the southern half of the province now have access to at least one BC Hydro 50 or a paired 50 and 100kw DCFCs.
I used the BC Hydro 100kw charger in Mission BC last night; with a cold battery and at 45% SOC the peak rate briefly reached 60kw. I increased SOC by~30% (18.5kwh consumed).

Model X CCS Upgrade
Available in UK, not in USA.. so it seems from the website.
Since when? I've seen people get it. (What year is your Model X?)

But, I think you have to go into the app to check for availability and place an order for the retrofit:

Sign in to the Tesla app to check your vehicle's compatibility and schedule a Service retrofit if needed.

I know it isn't available for the Model 3/Y yet, that is supposed to come sometime this summer.

It has been available in the UK for a long time, partially because all V3 Superchargers in the UK only have a CCS connector. (So you have to at least have the adapter, even if you don't have the full retrofit.)

Last edited:
I want someone out in the Bay Area to setup a small cottage business to come to ones home, business and do the retro. It’s probably a pretty fast job for someone who has done it at least 5 times and I think we could move to access to CCS much faster than Tesla can provide. I wonder if I can find a Tesla service tech who’d like to do this in their off hours, weekends.

Reactions: crackers8199
I'm curious, Is CCS better or worse technically than Tesla's own proprietary plug?
Which CCS? CCS Type 2, used in most of the world, is very similar to the Tesla NACS plug, I would put them on par technically. (NACS still has a better physical form factor.)

The CCS Type 1, used in North America, is, IMO, worse technically and in in physical form factor.

Reactions: DrGriz
I still see lots of YouTube videos of people in the EU and UK commenting the first time they plug an EV in using CCS2 about how unwieldily it is, so those NA v3 Superchargers are still the gold standard for ease of use including soft cable, lightweight plug, no interaction other than plugging in, and of course both CCS2 and NACS Supercharging stations are highly reliable

Reactions: drdumont
It's officially now mid-2023... where's our CCS retrofit?!?

1685977692859.png

I still see lots of YouTube videos of people in the EU and UK commenting the first time they plug an EV in using CCS2 about how unwieldily it is, so those NA v3 Superchargers are still the gold standard for ease of use including soft cable, lightweight plug, no interaction other than plugging in, and of course both CCS2 and NACS Supercharging stations are highly reliable
I tested my CCS1 adapter about a week ago at an EA charging station. It was like connecting a fire hose when compared to a Tesla Supercharger, which was as easy as handling a garden hose.

It's officially now mid-2023... where's our CCS retrofit?!?

Unfortunately, once I learned we would have to pay for the retrofit, as well as the adapter, I basically lost interest.

That and they built so many new SurperChargers in my neighborhood and along my routes.

Fingers crossed for you all waiting.

Edit: See it says ready for S/X so you must have a 3/Y.

The value of the retrofit is diminishing for me with every new Supercharger site that goes live. The pace of expansion is impressive, especially in the PNW.
It's true that the SC network is rapidly expanding, However in rural BC having access to the CCS1 adapter is very useful. I recently drove to southern Ontario from BC and I mostly used Tesla SCs, but there were still 4 occasions where we saved considerable time by using CCS1 stations that were conveniently located next to restaurants. If I had an older Tesla that doesn't support the CCS1 adapter I would try and find a used Chademo adapter since most CCS1 stations will have at least one Chademo plug.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
The value of the retrofit is diminishing for me with every new Supercharger site that goes live. The pace of expansion is impressive, especially in the PNW.
More SC are always good, although we don’t yet know what the CCS/Magicdock enablement is going to do for availability and usage. Time will tell. I have found that sometimes the better amenities or a place I would prefer to stop, is NOT right near the SC, and when I go to the retailer or establishment that I would prefer to stop at, well there is an EA or EVGO or other CCS type charger there where I might have preferred to use instead of the SC - all things begin equal.

Also, other EV chargers can often be less expensive, and sometimes even when at an SC which is full, I have seen CCS chargers that are empty or free, so just having the optionality might be nice for what seems to be ~ $400 fee. I DON’T like the implementation and think it might ultimately degrade the charging port area - with the adaptor and then often larger and heavier CCS cable and head end, but we’ll see how it goes with others.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
Agreed. I don't really have that much practical use for it. The new stations that have come online even in the last 6 months have massively filled in gaps. Interested in seeing what the CCS network is like for myself. I like the idea of having it as a backup, and there are a few V2 superchargers along my common routes with EA stations at the same exit (although one of them recently had a new 12 stall V3 station go in into the same parking lot, so even that use case is decreasing).